Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil coolers

Winter project time for the track car!

What do you guys run for aftermarket oil cooler solutions? I'd really like to see how you guys have mounted the oil cooler.

I have a heavily modified S50 in my '86, which did not have an oil cooler from the factory. I'm starting to hit higher and higher temps at the track as I get more experience, so I need to do something. Here's my plan so far:

- S54 oil filter housing
    - VAC or Bimmerworld housing AN adapter
    - VAC or Bimmerworld housing vanos banjo bolt
    - Mishimoto oil cooler (19 row)
    - Custom lines made by Earls in town

The S54 housing should have a built-in thermostat, right?

Thanks!

-Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
    S50 TMS chip for Schricks

I would go with a proven brand of oil cooler like Setrab, Fluidyne, or Mocal. The S54 housing has a thermostat, but it's kind of a weak point.

If doesn't open until things get pretty hot, so you're probably better off getting a bypass valve and either using blocking material to block off the cooler if you're DDing the car in the winter, or not even bothering if it's a track car.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Good to know the OEM thermostat isn't up to stuff. Maybe I'll look into an in-line thermostat. My friend's car is running the S54 housing, and his seems to be stuck open, as he needs to run several laps at the track before his car is up to temperature.

The car is almost exclusively a track car/local meet car these days.

I also looked into the Mocal coolers, since a local shop sells them.
      -Brandon
      '86 325es S50
      '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
      '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
      '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

he needs to run several laps at the track before his car is up to temperature.
        That sounds like every race car I've ever seen. Or driven. The oil takes a while to warm.

How hot is it getting? 250f is fine... in fact, it's about ideal.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

What kind of temps are you seeing... just curious what you're seeing without an oil cooler.
          IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

In August, I was seeing as high as 260-265 F. By that point, I'd usually have caught up to someone and that would allow the engine some time to cool down.
            -Brandon
            '86 325es S50
            '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
            '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
            '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

Not bad. You don't need much.

I'd be the stock cooler would be a good place to start- it's reputed to be good for 15- 20 degrees...

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I had one custom made for my old E30 track car.

Used a B&M cooler mounted in front of the radiator nice and high. Stock oil coolers are too low (easy to damage when you have an off) and not very efficient. You want it up off the ground.

Used a spin-on adapter (don't remember the brand) and had some braided hoses with AN fittings made up by a local hydraulics shop. You really don't need a thermostat for a race car since you pretty much want the oil cooler functioning all the time. A generic spin-on adapter will be just fine.

We also added a T-junction and check valve so an Accusump could be plumbed into the oil return.
                sigpic
                1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
                2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

Working...
                X