Rebuilding an engine harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding an engine harness

I am going to attempt this, especially to replace my CPS and alternator wires. Is there anything I should know before I attempt this?
    AWD > RWD

So any tips on splitting the DME connector or just take a dremel and some patience and cut it apart?
    AWD > RWD

Comment

I believe there are screws that hold the connector together. Remove the screws and it comes apart.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Comment

Replace the CPS wires.

I took those 3 screws out, but it didn't come apart at all. The case is molded as one piece. Should the connector pin board drop out?
        AWD > RWD

Comment

it definitely comes apart. once you take the screw out, you have to remove the rubber gasket and push it apart.

You can get a pin removal tool, but I'd just push them out and replace the pins with new ones. Of course, you are going to need a 3 pin shielded wire for the CPS (2 conductors & the jacket). it's all one piece so you might have to source it from another harness.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah I figured that out today. It comes apart easily once that rubber gasket is off. I didn't think about the covering for the 3 wires acrually shielding the wires. I was planning on replacing the wires with similar gauge wires and wrapping with vinyl harness wrap. But I can see how shielding the cps wires would be really important. I'll figure something out.

Regardless, I ordered a used harness already so I hope if I screw up here, the replacement will be good.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

It has to be shielded or it wont work unfortunately.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Maybe I can feed the wires through... haha.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

yeah I don't think so. it's basically a 1 piece wire from the CPS to the DME. the easiest way to replace it would be to remove one from another harness. any E30 or E36 OBD1 harness would work
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You're right. It is one piece. The ground is a woven shield around the other 2 wires. I'm sure I can find that same wire new, but I probably have to buy a 25' roll.
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

I might have one I can give you. How soon do you need it?
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I DD my e36, so time is not an issue. The used one I ordered should be here by the 1st, so it's not like that one is that far away either. Thanks though.

So really, I'm just messing around in the mean time to try and diagnose the issue before the other harness arrives. It sure would suck if this was not the cause of the hiccup/momentary loss of timing data I'm experiencing. If nothing changes with the replacement harness, I'll try to build a fully new harness.
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                        X