The ultimate oil change drain pan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ultimate oil change drain pan?

So I just changed the oil this weekend on my e30 and e46 and after various messes and filthy rags, I realized that my oil change drain pan is not that great.

The sloped edges are sort of wavy, so not all the oil drains into the catch, it just puddles. The pour spout has a strange angle to it, so after I'm done pouring the used oil into a larger container for recycling, it drips for a few minutes and makes a mess wherever I leave it.

This may just be the nature of the beast, but I was hoping someone out there has an oil change drain pan that they like and recommend.

Any suggestions?

I have this one:

It will fit an entire M52's crankcase worth of oil in the top section if you forget to remove the drain plug, with nary a drop going over the side and touching the garage floor. Ask me how I know.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Haha, good to know, we all make mistakes!

How is the quality of the threaded cap (the one on the pour spout)?

Mine cracked after 1 month and has been leaky ever since.

Comment

So far so good. I do 12-15 oil changes annually and have had that pan for more than two years. The pour spout cap on the round one I had before this one (you know, the one you see at every parts store) cracked the first time I used it.
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the input!

Comment

why not simply extract from the top?

I love mine. Been using it for ATF, motor oil and PS fluid swaps. Works like a charm and if I had a BMW, I wouldnt' have to get underneath for the oil filter.

I paid about 70 for mine in store
            If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Wow, never thought of that...

But I don't think that would work for me. If the car isn't on jack stands, my wife thinks I'm just screwing around in the garage and I get summoned for baby sitting duty....

In all seriousness, where do you extract it from? I think the add says you can put the tube down the dipstick tube, does that work?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatWhite View Post
                Wow, never thought of that...

But I don't think that would work for me. If the car isn't on jack stands, my wife thinks I'm just screwing around in the garage and I get summoned for baby sitting duty....

In all seriousness, where do you extract it from? I think the add says you can put the tube down the dipstick tube, does that work?
                LOL!

yup, from the dip stick tube. For my ATF the dip stick is pretty long, but surprisingly the attachment is still long enough to touch the pan.

There's been comparative reviews of this method vs the plug and honestly there's a negligible difference.

Comment

I have one from the auto store which is sort of turtle shaped with a plastic mesh over the pan so you can't drop a bolt or a wrench straight into the oil. There is then a top which you can screw on, as well as a threaded cap for a pour spout. It hasn't failed but what irks me is you have to put the big top on in order to get the container/pan in such an angle to remove the spout cap in order to pour it into a regular oil container. Kind of a song and dance but the mesh is worth it

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post

I love mine. Been using it for ATF, motor oil and PS fluid swaps. Works like a charm and if I had a BMW, I wouldnt' have to get underneath for the oil filter.

That is convenient, yes.......personally, I would never change my oil this way because it won't get the sludge/solids out of the bottom of the pan. The only way to do this is the old fashioned way of jacking up and pulling the plug after you have warmed it up.
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post

I used to do this on my college ETA with a broken drain plug area. Lazy college me didn't want to change the pan; the low end version of this pump was 15-20 bucks.

Unfortunately I wouldn't use this as a while later, my oil pump failed. Seemed to be a little sludged up. Though I suspect in lieu of my top oil changes, the P.O just wasn't doing them at all, so that couldn't have helped.
                      No antenna? I sell plugs!

Here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...77#post4937877

Comment

I use an extractor on my boat engine, have for years. It's the ONLY option on many boats, especially V8s where there is literally no way to reach the drain plug in the oil pan short of pulling the engine. No issues with sludge as long as you follow proper change intervals.

2012 MCSCC/NSSCC CP class champ
                        HSAX Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                          That is convenient, yes.......personally, I would never change my oil this way because it won't get the sludge/solids out of the bottom of the pan. The only way to do this is the old fashioned way of jacking up and pulling the plug after you have warmed it up.
                          If you have solids and sludge hanging around in the pan you have more issues than how the oil gets changed 8^)

But on a serious note, have you seen shit come out when draining?

This is very common on marine engines and many/most are diesels where the oil is nasty and they last many hours after changing oil this way.

I have one of these but still do it the old fashion jack and pan way cause I like having a look around under there while I am at it 8^)
                          My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                          4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                            I have this one:

It will fit an entire M52's crankcase worth of oil in the top section if you forget to remove the drain plug, with nary a drop going over the side and touching the garage floor. Ask me how I know.
                            I, too, have this one. AutoZone for about $12. Very nice. My vent cap does not want to stay on. Sturdy piece.
                            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by akorcovelos View Post
                              I use an extractor on my boat engine, have for years. It's the ONLY option on many boats, especially V8s where there is literally no way to reach the drain plug in the oil pan short of pulling the engine. No issues with sludge as long as you follow proper change intervals.
                              bingo!

Comment

Working...
                              X