Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

335i conversion cooling problem HELP!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

335i conversion cooling problem HELP!!!!!

My car won't stop heating up. 3.5l in position 2 no flex fan. using same electric fan which was in another e30 body with this motor. my friend from whom i bought the setup said he never had cooling problems. fan does kick on but only after i have started losing coolant and the temp gauge is almost redline. I'm told that with my setup there's no way to put a fan back on the motor. not even the thin diesel one. Please any one have the answer i'm looking for?????

My guess - air is trapped in the system somewhere.

Have you driven the car? I don't need my fan on if I'm above about 20 MPH. Even in 100 degree heat.

M30 can get some nasty air bubbles in the lines. You'll need to do a African witch dance, followed by lots of heating the motor up, and squeezing the hoses, and adding coolant as it cools down.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

well i have done the Texas frustration dance....lots of cussin and i've been doing the whole take the resevoir off it's mount and lift it high as the hoses allow and wait for air to come out then pour coolant and repeat. i think the problem is more related to the lack of a constant fan. need to find some way to squeeze one in there. At this point i'm thinking about cutting the grille so the vents are functional

Comment

Over Heating

If the Fan is not kicking on soon enough try hot wiring it your motor will still warm up Via your thermostat this will test your Radiator switch which takes water to make it function ''AIR in system''. If no difference maybe your thermostat is sticking. .02

G L

dj

Comment

thanks i'll give it a shot tomorrow

Comment

I have no fan on mine and it is fine almost all the time, only going up if I sit in traffic.

My guess is that you either have a bubble or your thermostat is sticking. Does the upper radiator hose get hot when the car is overheating?

When you bleed the system, park the car up hill so air will head towards the bleeder screw.
            Byron
            Leichtbau

Comment

All good advice. Another trick I used to use, besides voodoo, is to slightly preassurise the system with a coolant system bleeder, or compressed air, or even by blowing in the resovior (looks very silly and tastes bad). Once the preassure is on, crack the bleeder untill only coolant comes out. Do this a few times and then kill the chicken.
              Matt

sigpic

Comment

HA very interesting posts. i think my problem is a combination.....i think i've solved the loss of fluid. had to hold the reservoir up as high as i could to get the air out. the whole park up hill thing i did when i swapped motors. didn't work so much for me. but been driving for about a week now without losing coolant. i've decided to delete the cooling fan. damn relay burnt up on me. so in order to fix this issue i'm going to a radiator company next week and have them make me the alpina version for the 335i. that way i can put a diesel clutch fan on and voila no more coolant issue. just for good measure i'm going to replace the thermostat with an 80 deg c one. just to make sure. thanks for all the help guys

Comment

Working...
                X