Another fighting with insurance company thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another fighting with insurance company thread

So a couple weeks ago, we had a nasty storm roll through, and the area where I work received some of the worst of it; ~ 10 minutes of hail. Everything in the parking lot was showing some damage, including my non-sunroof 318is. Super. The paint is rough on the horizontal surfaces of the E30, so it's difficult to see the damage, but I figured hey; I have full-coverage insurance for a reason. Get it checked out now, so I'm not paying $xxx more out of pocket next year when I repaint the car.

Set up an appointment with Geico, swing it in.. $2600 damage estimate Of course they come back, state the car will be a total loss due to the damage, and they'll get back to me in a couple days with options. They send over the full damage report and comps (in which they comp'd my car to an e36 318is), and they value my car at a whopping $2200. I submit 27 pages of receipts from work performed in the last 12 months (over $4k), plus *actual* comps of other '91 318is's for sale currently, most of which are between $4400-$7k, and in comparable condition/mileage. The response? "Okay, your car is worth ~$2350."

I will not give up the car for any reason, so I've been given two options; proceed with the claim, pocket $1200 and keep my car, albeit now with a salvage title. Or cancel the claim entirely, keep my title clean, and deal with the damage myself down the road.

I'm fairly certain I can get a lower estimate for repair than what was provided. There would be no point in having the hood and trunk lid PDR'd; just replaced with good condition used units, and then the damage on the roof corrected.

The adjuster is pushing for my answer immediately; he obviously wants to close the claim. I feel no need to oblige them in that regard. Do I have any other recourse here? Get and submit a lower damage estimate? Any potential benefit in dragging this out further, aside from annoying someone at the insurance company?

Any input/advice is appreciated!

Car in question:

Tell the adjuster to go screw himself. You will have to find an appraiser and have your car appraised. They will then do the same, likely with an "independent" appraiser who only works for geiko. They will low ball you. Then you go to arbitration and the mediator will pick a number in the middle. Yes, its a giant PITA. Insurance companies aren't there to make the situation right, they are there to make themselves more $. I suppose you could hire a lawyer, but that would be out of pocket as well.

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

I went through something very similar, limited production car, they grossly undervalued it, I provided proof it was worth twice what they offered, they upped their offer $200 and told me take it or leave it. I wasn't even fighting them for more money, I was fighting them to not label it totaled since it rightfully wasn't and I didn't want to do the inspection process after repairs. I tried to make a complaint with the state insurance regulatory board but got no response, it seemed pretty apparent even from their website at the time that they were there to serve insurers and not the public. I spoke with an attorney friend who could not represent me because of a conflict of interest (her firm had done work for the ins. co. in the past - insurers spread their legal out to as many firms as possible to create conflicts of interest to limit consumer choices if they do need to sue) and basically I was advised that it would cost more money to fight in court than it was worth (or that I had) and that wasn't even counting the time and stress, which would have been extensive and drawn out over months to years, with having to store my smashed car the entire time. After 6 months of impasse I gave in, took the money and bought the car back. Got it fixed right, went though the Highway Patrol inspection, pretty much broke even.

I'd like to tell you to fight them, because they deserve to have everyone fighting them on every single claim, but it may be a huge waste of time and stress. Fuck everything about insurance companies. I keep the absolute cheapest insurance on my car as possible because I know I am on my own if anything ever happens. Rotten scammer fucks.
      sigpic
      1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

And that's why I have agreed upon value coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
          And that's why I have agreed upon value coverage.
          Exactly. I have seen too many threads about this same thing and I had to get great insurance and it wound up being really inexpensive.

Keep the car clean and drop Geico. Too nice of a car to taint its record.

COTM

Comment

I would get rid of Geico straight away. My friend just had a problem with them and ended up switching to Progressive and saved a ton of money in the process

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Brick View Post
              I wasn't even fighting them for more money, I was fighting them to not label it totaled since it rightfully wasn't

This, exactly. I'm not looking for a money-grab; I just want a *fair* assessment by my insurance company. If they insist on labeling the title as salvage, I expect the value of the car to be determined correctly, and payment/buy-back prices to reflect that actual value. At this point, I'd rather have a clean title than a $1200-$2000 check.

I'm going to try to get squeezed in for another estimate at a local shop, and see if the numbers change notably. If not, I'm just going to cancel the claim, and likely move my insurance elsewhere.

Comment

Why full coverage?
                ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Slight off topic, but since it was mentioned, who do you guys use for agreed value? I'm starting to think the e30 M should be on such a policy, rather than my current USAA coverage.
                  e92 M3
                  e30 M3 s52 swap
                  w203 C240 wagon (DD)
                  190e 5.6 swap (in surgery)

Comment

OP, you car is awesome!

My Miata is insured through GEICO, with the suspension and rims factored into the insured value. IIRC I sent them receipts for both. It cost a little extra per month, but negligible given that I wont have to negotiate if anything goes sideways.

Originally posted by FLYNAVY View Post
                    Slight off topic, but since it was mentioned, who do you guys use for agreed value? I'm starting to think the e30 M should be on such a policy, rather than my current USAA coverage.
                    I had American Collectors on my E30 M3.
                    I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Reason not to use insurance companies like Geico...Older car gaining value or percieved value you should consider Haggerty or another collector style company that will not limit your miles.
                      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by kronus
                        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
                          OP, you car is awesome!

My Miata is insured through GEICO, with the suspension and rims factored into the insured value. IIRC I sent them receipts for both. It cost a little extra per month, but negligible given that I wont have to negotiate if anything goes sideways.

I had American Collectors on my E30 M3.
                          Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                          Reason not to use insurance companies like Geico...Older car gaining value or percieved value you should consider Haggerty or another collector style company that will not limit your miles.
                          USAA works with America's Collectors but you need to have thei policy.

Suggest you get one yesterday.
                          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Thanks dudes, I will look into them. IIRC Haggerty doesn't do Nevada, and the other competitor (Grundy I believe) I looked at limited miles severely, or maybe I have that backwards based on above posts. Either way, neither was a feasible option. Actually, the limited miles isn't big because as a 3rd car, I drive it probably 60 miles/month if even that, but it is the principle.
                            e92 M3
                            e30 M3 s52 swap
                            w203 C240 wagon (DD)
                            190e 5.6 swap (in surgery)

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                              USAA works with America's Collectors but you need to have thei policy.

Suggest you get one yesterday.
                              QFT. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.
                              I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Working...
                              X