Need opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need opinion

24v swap I'm planning. I have an S52 accessible to me. But I also am contemplating throwing an S54 in there. I would like opinions on what is the best option. The obvious choice is the S54, however can I build/tune the S52 to be same if not better than the S54? Build/tune short of internals.Just wanting to hear what you guys that have done these swaps think.

the short answer is no...

The s54 will always outperform an s52. Its going to cost you a lot more to do the s54 swap, but there is no doubt it will outperform an s52 everyday of the week. unless turbo...

Comment

I appreciate the input

Comment

S54 gets very expensive, make sure you do your research.

Comment

S54s need much more maintenance. Has better performance as long as you keep it maintained. It is recommended to do valve lashing every 30k miles. At least $1000, unless you can do it yourself.
          PNP Adapter Harness Wiring for M52TU, M54, S54, M60, M62, M62TU, S62, M50, S50, M52, S52 & MORE

sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys. Yeah I've been doing tons of research for engine swaps. I've been a member here long enough to search first before asking. I want to do it once and right. I've even been thinking about n54 or n55. I've seen some pictures of someone who dry fitted an n55 into an e30. But that post was from 2014 and not much after that though.

Comment

S54 will run you $10k + to do it right, unless you get very lucky with used parts and a well maintained motor. ~1.5x that if you pay a shop. 300whp, reliable, but with pricey oil changes and regular valve shim adjustments (more involved than M20 style). Cooling system is way more stout than S50/2. Add considerable cost and hassle if emissions-legality is required.

S52 will run you $4-5k to do it right, reliably, and will have ~240whp with basic mods (ebay headers, M50 manifold, 3" exhaust). The motor is quite reliable and maintenance free but the stuff attached to the motor is pretty much the opposite.

N54/N55 is undocumented, so....go that route if you're brave and have time and money to spare.
              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
              95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Thanks for that info man. Very helpful.

Comment

My S50 is about on par with a stock S54. It probably cost what an S54 would have cost. I am currently building a nasty NA S54 to replace the S50.

edit:

Heavily ported head
                  Springs and retainers
                  Biggest cams you can run
                  Custom tune
                  Full 3.5" intake system including throttle body and custom cold air intake tube
                  Headers
                  Full stainless 3" exhaust
                  Stock 3.0L bottom end

I bought most of my setup from a guy who made 280 WHP with less work than I have done.

Comment

Working...
                  X