Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What transmission are you using and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What transmission are you using and why?

Ive been using the G260 + 3.73LSD combo on mine since I did the swap. Ive wondered if Im missing something by not using the ZF setup. Ultimately Id like to go to a 6speed, but now this works and I plan to keep it. I just wonder what the ZF feels like, because you know, I dont have enough headaches right now.

So heres my two questions:

#1 What do you like about your setup

#2 What dont you like about your setup

#3 Do you plan to change anything about your setup?
    Getrag G260 + 3.73 / 4.10 LSD
    41.46%
    ZF / G250 + 2.93 / 3.25 / 3.46 LSD
    46.34%
    6 speed
    7.32%
    something else badass / Rob
    4.88%
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

I have the zf 6 speed from a diesel. Haven't driven on it yet but I chose it because it was AU$400-450 shipped from UK to Australia. Can't get anything that cheap here and with my 3.15 diff the ratios in the box other than 1st gear are almost identical to my 135i which is fantastic to drive.

im answer to the questions:
    1. Price and similarity to my 135i ratios
    2. the brace, carrier and linkage required severe (LIKE REALLY SEVERE) modifications to make it work.
    3. swap to a 330i 6 speed to get the correct angle instead of performing all the mods made to get the tilt of the diesel box right
    Last edited by ba114; 01-02-2017, 01:19 AM.
    RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

I'm using a G260 but just swapped out my 3.73 for a 3.46 since 1st gear was kind of useless. Haven't driven it yet, but I've got high hopes.

Comment

I have a ZF320 because it came with the engine I bought. That is mated to a 3.15 Torsen diff from a Z3 because well... it came w/ everything else haha.
        -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
        '95 525iT
        '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
        '98 Disco 1

Comment

I've driven both setups actually on 24v cars!

I like the ZF because it was overall smoother engagement in terms of shifting and differentials matching is more reasonable.
          What I didn't like was that it was way easier to money shift. At high RPM it WILL let you into a lower gear's gate. The 260 practically locks you out.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

GS6-37BZ from a Z4M and 3.73 because it's what my S54 came with. I do wish to go taller for 1st and 2nd if I do a dog gear swap for it.

Comment

ZF 320z because it's cheap, durable and by far the best feeling gearbox I have ever driven. Lot better than any getrag. I'm also running lsd with 2.65 ratio and it's perfect with lot of torque. I wouldn't change a thing in my setup.

Originally posted by ak- View Post
              What I didn't like was that it was way easier to money shift. At high RPM it WILL let you into a lower gear's gate. The 260 practically locks you out.
              Strange. What I have experienced is that the ZF will hit you to the fingers if you try to shift to too low gear. The g250 won't do that. The gears go in with little grinding and it will be the money shift if you lift the clutch after that...

Comment

Getrag 260/ 3.73 LSD combo with an m52 here.

My transmission has 300k miles and still works like a charm, it whines like it has straight cut gears from 1-3rd gear which is cool.

I'd like to go 6speed eventually.
                1990 Alpine 325is
                1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

ZF320 + 3.15 Torsen

Since I drive the car to and from events, the 3.15 is a good compromise for the highway and mountain road carving with the ZF's 1:1 5th. I'm turning ~3300 @ 75 with the street wheels/tires (16x7.5 Azev Type As with 205/50-16s).

Since I drive the car to and from events, the 3.15 is a bit tall for track use.

I'll put in a higher ratio rear end if I trailer the car, though that's unlikely for the foreseeable future.
                  Originally posted by kronus
                  would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

G260 + 3.73 LSD

Works well. Shifts nicely. Highway revs are good. I have a low mileage G260 in the car now which doesn't rattle… yet.

The shifter offset and modified crossmember always felt a bit dirty to me. Also, the trans has to be pulled if the oil pan needs replacement.

If I were to do it again, I'd go for a ZF. They are much easier to find low-mileage examples of. Also, the 24v motor exposed a bad synchro in my previous transmission very quickly.

Comment

G260 + 4.10 LSD

Accelerates well due to the 4.10s, I also have an AKG shifter that makes shifting wonderful

I don't like that first year is useless especially now that I'm supercharged it just spins at nearly any throttle input. When driving normally you are shifting out of first before you cross an intersection. On the highway cruising the rpms are high like 4K at 75 or so. Doing highway pulls the car tops out at 150ish which is annoying. The g260 shifts like you are dragging a knife through a candle when it is cold. It wines and doesn't like downshifting when it's cold. You have to rev match almost all of the time to get it to downshift even when it's hot.

I would have done a zf if I swapped the car but I bought it already swapped. I can't justify the expense of swapping the trans since the g260 hasn't died yet. I have a 3.73 LSD diff I have been thinking about swapping in but the car pulls so hard from 20-80mph and I don't want to lose that pull.

Comment

ZF320 + 3.73(4 clutch LSD)

• ZF seems to be the strongest common 5 speed box.
                        • Shifts great/smooth
                        • Plug and play with 24v (mostly meaning angle/bolt pattern)
                        • 1:1 5th realistically gives you more(and stronger) short ratio options (2.93 3.07 3.13 3.23 3.38 3.46)
                        • 3.73 is great for autox.
                        • 4 clutch LSD feels great.

• 3.73 is terrible for any driving other than autox. Turns 4000 at highway speeds and exhaust screams. Have to drive 10~20 below the limit to not go deaf.
                        • ZF shift carrier is offset at rear bushing. Ran into problems with solid front/rear carrier bushings - modified rear carrier bracket to suit. Another carrier may fit better (maybe G260?).
                        • Detent service is a must before installation to correct 5th gear lean issues. Not difficult with specific tooling and small slide hammer, but an extra ~$100 for parts.

• Swap 3.73 for 2.93/3.15. 3.15 would allow me to keep current built LSD unit. 2.93 is theoretically stronger, but requires different carrier cap
                        • Floor mount shifter because racecar.
                        Last edited by Northern; 03-11-2017, 12:17 PM.
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

ZF320 + 3.25 LSD

Initially I had the g260 and never liked it or the install (I wanted a zf320 but it was cheaper to keep the g260 initially). It's notchy and I didn't like the "ghetto" tilt and twisted selector rod. Also the bellhousing doesn't have holes in the bottom to reach the 2 rear oil pan bolts. Lastly, I quickly killed it between adding the LSD and the 24v powa.

It is very smooth shifting, tunnel mounted shifter has zero play is super short and very smooth, "serviceable" (pins, detents, bushings), easier to add aftermarket parts since the zf320 and 24v are standard together (like choosing a clutch), it's a stronger trans, easier to find with low miles, my diff combo is perfect IMO for autox and track, 1st gear with this combo is very usable on the streets

Nothing really. Love this trans. If anything highway rpms are a bit high 3400rpm at 75 mph but I don't daily the car so I don't really care.
                          Adding a SC in the future I'd probably pair it with a taller diff ratio to keep a usable 1st gear, but maybe not. Might "upgrade" to a 6 speed for the novelty and for better highway rpms but I feel it's totally unnecessary.
                          '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                          Shadetree30

Comment

Interesting info here.

I'm planning to use the G260 and the stock 3.73LSD though I also have a 4.10 Torsen from the Z3 donor as an option...might be fun for a while.

My G260 only has 140k on it so it still shifts well and with the Garagistic mount and UUC twisted DSSR the install will be robust.

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                              ZF320 + 3.73(4 clutch LSD)

[LIST][*]3.73 is great for autox.
                              What rev limit is your engine set to?

What sort of courses do you regularly run? Short twisty ones?

Are you regularly shifting back and forth between 2nd and 3rd?

A 3.73 with a ZF in 2nd gear and a 6,500 rev limit on 25" dia tires (255/40-17) would give you a top speed of 52mph on the rev limiter. That's pretty slow for any of the autocrosses that I have run in for the last 20 years. I'm sometimes hitting the limiter with a 3.23FD, a rev limit of 7,800 and the Getrag trans at about 70mph.

Comment

Working...
                              X