Clear All

There are a couple more entries on the blog. www.griplimit.net

Sometimes, things don't go so well...
    1987 E30 325is
    1999 E46 323i
    RIP 1994 E32 740iL
    oo=[][]=oo

Comment

I'd have to go wash my hands first. I hate getting the camera dirrty. Unless you have an assistant.

Comment

AKG Bushings? Are those stock replacements? How are they and why did you choose them?

I'm looking to replace all my bushings as well, not sure what to go with. I don't plan to go poly, so i was going to stick with stock stuff.

Comment

Hallen, thanks for posting the link to your blog. I really enjoyed reading it and bookmarked it for future perusal. Reminds me of the crap we all go through with these cars, only someone has taken the time to write it all down for posterity. :)

Keep up your hard work! Looking forward to seeing some video of the Delphin Rat on the track!

Tim

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
          MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
          | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

Originally posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
            AKG Bushings? Are those stock replacements? How are they and why did you choose them?

I'm looking to replace all my bushings as well, not sure what to go with. I don't plan to go poly, so i was going to stick with stock stuff.
            The AKG bushings are a direct stock replacement item, but they are far from stock. They come in two different stiffnesses of urethane. Mine are the 75 stiffness models (the stiffer of the two). The urethane will transmit more noise into the cabin for sure. It is up to you if that will be bothersome or not.

I chose them because they had the parts I wanted at a reasonable price. The parts are very good quality. I wanted something very stiff, but not solid. These fit the bill.

But, even new stock rubber bushings will dramatically improve the handling of a car, especially if it has 200k miles on the old ones.

The rubber bushing will be more difficult to press in than the AKG urethane I would think.

VacMan,
            Thanks for the props. I am enjoying doing the blog on all of this. I do get unmotivated at times, but the blog does help me feel like I am sharing all this with people who enjoy reading it. I also hope it motivates others to get involved with motorsports on some level.

The camera gets a little grease on it, but it cleans up fine. If I don't take the time to snap the shots when I am doing it, then I don't get the shots. I think the pictures help to add a lot to the blog and breaks up all the dense text... I can get too wordy at times :D

The guy that wrote this blog, www.dpcars.net , is what got me excited about doing this stuff. He was also my first instructor at my first HPDE.
            Last edited by Hallen; 03-14-2008, 12:21 PM.
            1987 E30 325is
            1999 E46 323i
            RIP 1994 E32 740iL
            oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Originally posted by So Live View Post
              Is that a TMS brake kit i spy? Looks like exactly what i did to my car. keep it up dude
              Sorry, I missed this post earlier. No, I don't have a Turner brake kit. I got a caliper rebuild kit from Pelican Parts where I get most of my parts. I do get a lot of stuff from TMS though. I got the springs through them.

The PO did paint the calipers red, maybe that is what you are seeing? I did get the stainless brake lines from TMS though.

It's funny, the PO had the time and energy to paint his calipers, put on a Momo wheel, add a K&N filter, add and aftermarket stereo and speakers and such, but couldn't change out two rear shock mounts when doing his spring and shock upgrade?

I guess I shouldn't be so hard on the guy. I am sure he was doing his best. Plus, this car has been around some, so some of this might be the PO's PO who did it.;)
              1987 E30 325is
              1999 E46 323i
              RIP 1994 E32 740iL
              oo=[][]=oo

Comment

There's a new post up on the blog. More goofy stuff uncovered.

http://griplimit.net/index.php?blog=...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
                1987 E30 325is
                1999 E46 323i
                RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                oo=[][]=oo

Comment

A new post is up...

I won't be working on the car for the next two nights most likely. More part will hopefully be in by then. I have a lot of little things to take care of like fitting those lights, fixing some trim pieces, new spark plugs, cleaning the ICV, getting the bitch clip out:x, new gaskets for the rear tail lights, etc. The last bothersome thing will be the shifter. The rest is pretty straight forward stuff.
                  1987 E30 325is
                  1999 E46 323i
                  RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                  oo=[][]=oo

Comment

A new post is up. www.griplimit.net

Rats...

I can confirm that the Z3 M Roadster shifter doesn't work. The pin hole is too small. Anybody else run into the same problem?

1987 E30 325is
                    1999 E46 323i
                    RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                    oo=[][]=oo

Comment

you work much quicker than I do. jealous.

Comment

Originally posted by browntown View Post
                        you work much quicker than I do. jealous.
                        I doubt I work quicker... I just have more time. Which = tired. 2 or 3 hours each night after work plus a good 5 or 6 hours each day on the weekend.

I am striving to get done by the 9th of next month because that is the first HPDE that I am signed up for. Plus, I need time to shake the car down before then. I have only driven the car on a short test drive. I need to make sure that it is running nicely before I put it on the track.
                        1987 E30 325is
                        1999 E46 323i
                        RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                        oo=[][]=oo

Comment

The turner brake kit i was referring to was just stock rotors, your choice of pads, tms stainless lines and ate fluid. Nothing big. Same brakes as i have basically. Your going to love the feel w/ those lines. Those springs kick some major ass too.

Keep it up dude!
                          -Chris

Comment

Originally posted by So Live View Post
                            The turner brake kit i was referring to was just stock rotors, your choice of pads, tms stainless lines and ate fluid. Nothing big. Same brakes as i have basically. Your going to love the feel w/ those lines. Those springs kick some major ass too.

Keep it up dude!
                            I have bought that kit before for my other car. It is a pretty good deal. This time I bought the stock rotors from Pelican parts (they are closer to me so shipping is cheaper). I got Hawk pads from Bimmerworld and the stainless lines from Turner. I also got new sliders with the brass grommets that replace the rubber ones. It should be a good combination.

I ran into more problems tonight. It turns out my driver's seat is totally broken. The bottom rail was sheared in two.

I guess I am now on the market for some replacement race seats. I might also have one broken black leather sport seat, and one passenger seat that is in good shape for sale.

Anybody got some decent race seats for sale?

Hmmm, I might use the broken seat for a race seat for my LFS sim racing setup...:D
                            1987 E30 325is
                            1999 E46 323i
                            RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                            oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Originally posted by Hallen View Post
                              A new post is up. www.griplimit.net

Rats...

I can confirm that the Z3 M Roadster shifter doesn't work. The pin hole is too small. Anybody else run into the same problem?

i used an M3 shifter linkage instead of stock e30 shifter linkage

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremiel5 View Post
                                i used an M3 shifter linkage instead of stock e30 shifter linkage
                                Nice to know... to bad I didn't know that last week.

Thanks for the information though. :)

I was wondering if that was what others had done. I didn't know that the M3 linkage would work with the 325is setup or that it had the right diameter for the Z3 M Roadster shifter. Ah well, live and learn. That is one of those things that you run into when you try to use parts that were not originally designed for your car.

I have a Z4 3.0 shifter that will be here tomorrow. Hopefully, that installation will go better for me.
                                1987 E30 325is
                                1999 E46 323i
                                RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                                oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Working...
                                X