No announcement yet.

The Delphin Rat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another long weekend in the garage... well, actually, it went too quickly. I still have tons of stuff to get done and not much time to do it.

I still have a problem with the seats. I don't fit in the car with stock seats and my helmet on. I need new seats and am looking for ideas and alternatives.

www.griplimit.net for the writeup and a few pictures.

I ran into trouble getting the stupid refill plug out of the transmission. If I can get the transmission service done, I will be done under the car for now.
    1987 E30 325is
    1999 E46 323i
    RIP 1994 E32 740iL
    oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Yet another new post up. I was making a closed loop system for the power steering rack. I hope it works.

1987 E30 325is
      1999 E46 323i
      RIP 1994 E32 740iL
      oo=[][]=oo

Comment

More progress. This time with the interior of the car.
        Getting Seated Post

I hope this is interesting for the R3v community. Chime in if you see me doing something stupid or if you have questions.;)
        1987 E30 325is
        1999 E46 323i
        RIP 1994 E32 740iL
        oo=[][]=oo

Comment

I was almost ready to drive the car when I broke the expansion tank cap. Well, it really shouldn't have broken, but it did. It feels pretty lousy to be grounded over such a stupid little part. It just ain't something the local auto part stores stock. Plus, it was 6pm when it happened so I can't even check with the dealer until tomorrow morning.

www.griplimit.net

The other issue is that it sounds like the throw out bearing is going out. It makes a whirring sound when I disengage the clutch (press on the pedal). Annoying. I wonder if I can get away with driving it like this for a short while... maybe just one track day. I don't relish taking the transmission out.
          1987 E30 325is
          1999 E46 323i
          RIP 1994 E32 740iL
          oo=[][]=oo

Comment

I got the first test drive done today. It was not successful. Seems I have a problem with the right rear. Everything else seems to be good. I can't wait to really push the car to see what it will do.

Click the link below for the story and pics.

It Is Alive
            1987 E30 325is
            1999 E46 323i
            RIP 1994 E32 740iL
            oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Originally posted by Hallen View Post
              I can confirm that the Z3 M Roadster shifter doesn't work. The pin hole is too small. Anybody else run into the same problem?
              If you force it in at an angle, or if there is a burr on the selector shaft it will do this. I have had a Z3 MCoupe shift arm on my 91 318is for about 2.5 to 3 years now. Its been off countless times [3 times in the last week... clutch/flywheel issues] So i know its not an impossible fit, something wasn't right with your install.

Originally posted by vlad
              Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

That's good to know. I tried to install it from under the car with the back half of the rod still attached to the transmission. I could have very easily misalingned it. But, after I broke it and then took the shift rod out, the rod pin would still not fit through the grommet. Maybe I got a goofy shifter or something. The Z4 3.0 shfiter fit fine on the same rod.
                1987 E30 325is
                1999 E46 323i
                RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Still enjoying following your buildup, FYI. Just because we don't reply here doesn't mean we don't visit. :)

Tim

PS Lots of people run without the little bolt to hold the disc in place. Especially since you have studs I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're convinced there's no other issue.
                  Last edited by VacMan; 04-12-2008, 11:22 PM.

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
                  MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
                  | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

loving it!
                    need or want stickers let me know and well work somthing out! http://www.myspace.com/anpvehicletattoos

Comment

Nice build blog, thanks for sharing. :)

Comment

Originally posted by VacMan View Post
                        Still enjoying following your buildup, FYI. Just because we don't reply here doesn't mean we don't visit. :)

Tim

PS Lots of people run without the little bolt to hold the disc in place. Especially since you have studs I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're convinced there's no other issue.
                        Thanks for the info. I wondered if I could get away without the bolt. I was thinking that the lug nuts would center up the rotor when they were tightened down. It is really odd that they loosened up though. They were most definitely torqued down. I always use a torque wrench. I guess I will be double checking from here on out.

I won't know if there is any other damage until I drive it again. I doubt there is anything more there than what I found. The one stud was loose too though. I will lock tight it again and see how it goes. I suspect it was the one I had to pull back out to adjust the parking brake tension.

Thanks for the other comments guys. I write the blog for my own enjoyment but it is nice to know that others find it at least somewhat interesting.
                        1987 E30 325is
                        1999 E46 323i
                        RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                        oo=[][]=oo

Comment

looks like a nice project :) i take it you didn't make it to that track day on the 9th? any other events planned? or not yet?

Comment

Originally posted by SR20Fastback View Post
                            looks like a nice project :) i take it you didn't make it to that track day on the 9th? any other events planned? or not yet?
                            Yes, I did make it to the track day on the 9th. I even have a video up on the blog now. But it wasn't in the Delphin Rat. I used my daily driver, the Silver Sloth (my E46). It is actually a very good car and holds its own on the track, but it is the puniest of all BMW's of that vintage.

There are two new posts up on the blog. The Rat is now road worthy. I took it out for a bit of a drive and shot some video. The video is posted up on the blog... enjoy:D

RATtle and Roll

PS
                            Pay no attention to the speedometer. Watch the little crystal thingy on the mirror. It is a good indicator of the g load. I think I am going to replace the crystal with the bitch clip I pulled off the transmission.
                            1987 E30 325is
                            1999 E46 323i
                            RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                            oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Minor update:
                              I just got the car back from the shop. The new clutch, resurfaced flywheel, new throw out bearing, all the seals and the rest of the shifter linkage new stuff is all installed.

The clutch feels good and there is no more whirring throw out bearing sound. The shifter feels pretty good. The throw is short and tight, if still a bit notchy.

The car is still quite loud. The shop owner thinks it might just be the exhaust echoing through the frame because of the new hard urethane engine and transmission mounts. There is that one exhaust mount that bolts tot he back of the tranny at the rear mount. That one might be causing most of the noise.

It would be nice to reduce the noise levels some, but it is not imperative. Maybe new rubber exhaust hangers would help? Anybody have any ideas?
                              1987 E30 325is
                              1999 E46 323i
                              RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                              oo=[][]=oo

Comment

I am still having vibration problems with the car. Read through my blog post (linked below) and let me know if anybody has any ideas. It might just be me getting used to the new stiff mounts, but I think it is a bit more than that.

I hope to get the car out on the track in the next two weeks but if this vibration keeps up, I am not sure I can do that.

All Shook Up
                                1987 E30 325is
                                1999 E46 323i
                                RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                                oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Working...
                                X