X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrdeamicis View Post
    The ernie mobile!

Part of that M42 rad was for the stock airbox to fit. That engine bay is great.
    PLEASE refrain from quoting entire posts of the OP's list. We don't need the entire post replicated a dozen times throughout the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
      Thread stickied, GREAT info!
      Awesome thanks Mr. Anderson :D

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
      Instagram:
      https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
      LS Build Thread:
      https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

Comment

1. Engine
        S50b30US with 95k out of a wrecked M3. Has schrick cams, 3.5" maf, 24# injectors, and a besian systems vanos seal and rattle kit.

2. Engine Wiring
        Went with the S50's harness. Chopped the X20 off and crimped on new pins and popped it all into a C101. I also stripped out all the wires that don't need to run through the harness(AC bump wires, EWS wire, pulled the 02 sensor out of the harness so it runs like it did on the M42, etc). I had issues with the EWS on the silver label ecu and war chip combo . Switched to a red label + war chip.

3. Drivetrain
        Using the zf that came with the engine. UUC ltw fly and OE M5 clutch. Used an E30 CSB o n an E36 328 driveshaft to an e28 3.25s diff

4. Shift Lever and Linkage
        OE E36 M3 shift carrier. Z3 3.0 shifter, UUC DSSR(straight, not bent), delrin carrier bushings. The Z3 shifter had bushing material sticking out past the main metal part of the pivot that had to shaved off to fit the DSSR I got(unsure of exact model).

5. Motor Mounts
        revshift blue(soft) 24v swap mounts. Pretty happy with them, but the stud lengths can be a pain on the bottom.

6. Brake Booster, Master Cylinder, and External Reservoir
        944 booster, sotck MC and res for now. I'm not a fan of the remote setups... I used stock clevis and lengthened the threads. DO NOT try to do this with a harbor freight quality die. Its just frustrating. Go spend 6.00 on a quality die from fastenall. Took me two minutes with that die. I used a stock(including hose) E36 328 check valve with a new grommet from napa.

7. Steering System
        E36 M3 rack, E30 lines. E36 ps res mounting bracket. I shorted the large hose coming from the pump to the res a bit. Routed the smaller one over the motor mount arm then back up into it. I'd love to have a shorter tube for it coming off the rack so i can run it under the motor mount arm.

8. Cooling System
        I hate the look of the 325 coolant res. So until I can fab a better option, im' using an M42 rad(new) with a 16" spal pusher replacing the stock aux fan and retaining the OE dual speed setup. I cut up some random hoses from advance to make it all work.

9. Exhaust System
        raceland shorty headers. Had the tube/flange area filled in and ground out so its smoother. Fitment/seal to the downpipes sucked, so new downpipes were fabbed. This goes into a custom H pipe with O2 bung, and 2.25" piping all the way back to a 2.5" dual in/out magnaflow. Note: I had to go with treehouse racing cabs to clear the tube flange. If I had to do it again i would try out the long tubes. However, the shorties clear my IE sway bar and subframe by a mile.

not done yet, but heres how my setup looks.

Last edited by lbreevesii; 08-08-2012, 09:22 AM.
        I don't always wreck cars, but when I do I wreck them into trees.

91' 318is S50 swap - The Black Widow

Comment

1. Engine
          M52b28, OBD-1 swapped still useing plastic valve cover and OBDII coils,Pink 21.5 lb injectors, s52 cams, K&N hot air intake, TRM tune. Replaced waterpump, thermostat, sensors, seals and bolts prior to dropping in the engine, E34 525 M50 throttle cable, welded oil pump nut, race skids 24V plate, E30 M3 wire covers.

2. Engine Wiring
          e36 325is harness, spliced on an e30 engine side c101 to connect up to the chassis side wiring.

3. Drivetrain
          E46 ZF 320 , OEM E46 clutch and pressure plate, e46 pilot bearing. Used E36 328 4 bolt drive shaft and 3.25 lsd. Stock trans brace solid poly UUC red trans mounts (going to go with something softer and not thru bolt)

Z3 3.0 short shifter and all new bushings, E46 carrier and selector both cut and welded.

5. Motor Mounts
          E36 arms, Revshift Red mounts

6. Brake Booster, Master Cylinder
          E21 320i booster, cut and rethreaded shaft to stock length, stock master.

7. Steering System
          m52 return line, -AN high pressure feed line. e36 reservoir mount. Did an e36 95 M3 rack, had to grind a little bit off the fire wall (air bag car)

8. Cooling System
          Mishimoto Z3 MS54 radiator, late model e30 expansion tank, 16" summit racing pusher fan wired into stock aux fan wiring. E36 325 upper hose with M42 lower hose trimmed to fit

9. Exhaust System
          Ebay Superspring rep longtube headers (clear stock lolipops and big swaybar). Custom 2.5" system with megnaflow cat and megnaflow muffler.

Older Pic
          Last edited by 10Toes; 08-08-2012, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eandrade View Post
            1. Engine
            S52B32: full conversion over to OBDI (includes S50 valve cover, coils, fuel rail, manifold). I was lucky and the head had a 3rd pre-drilled hole for the coolant temp sensor.
            Shrick street cams (intake/exhaust)
            24lb injectors
            3" stock MAF
            Stock E36 M3 airbox
            Have you put your car on a dyno to see what your putting down?

Comment

Dyno sheet here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...19&postcount=2
              sigpic
              1990 325i

Comment

1. Engine
                s50 - Shricks, injectors, 3.5 MAF TMS tune. Dr. Vanos kit, retained A/C (10/92 'vert so already R34).

2. Drivetrain
                stock 260, stock driveshaft, 3.73 LS diff.

3. Shift Lever
                stock trans bracket modified to properly accept beefy e21 mounts. Cut hollow shift lever, inserted appropriate sized decapitated bolt and screwed other half of lever onto bolt - allowed me easy adjustment to get the rotation just right then welded both halves into place. Replaced all shift linkage bushings and 40k miles later - still tight.

4. Motor Mounts
                e28 M5 with one .09" washer on pass side for header clearence.

5. Brake Booster
                purchased new e21 booster (wish I'd painted it), shaved a few intake fins

6. Cooling
                stock rad, stock clutch fan but had to shave blades a little (interferred w/Vanos slightly).

7. Exhaust
                ebay Supersprint knockoffs, cheapo cat, custom single exhaust with resonator that's still too loud.

Comment

1. Engine
                  M50B25TU, E34 Throttle body, E36 Wiring harness with adaptor, m42 cover plate.
                  2. Drivetrain
                  G260 with lightened m20 flywheel and stock clutch, stock trans mounts (for now). Stock e30 five speed driveshaft
                  3. Shift Lever
                  Custom trans brace (My own of course!) to compensate for the 10 degree rotation
                  4. Motor Mounts
                  e28 m5 with custom made shim to clear exhaust
                  5. Brake Booster
                  E30 IX booster and master with DSM remote res(spliced in line for clutch res)
                  6. Cooling
                  E30 325 rad and overflow tank, 16" SPAL pusher
                  7. Exhaust
                  Knockoff SS headers (ebay) to a Y pipe going to a 2.5" tube, to an 18" vibrant resonator to a Magnaflow 12158

Car was five speed swapped at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                    1. Engine
                    Non-VANOS M50B25 from '92 525i.
                    Replaced all seals and gaskets prior to install, SKF Speedi-Sleeve on crankshaft rear main seal.
                    Kamotors intake w/ E34 intake boot.
                    How do you like the kamotors intake? I'm thinking of replacing my unprotected K&N filter with one. I assume when you say E34 intake boot you are using an E34 525i intake boot? I saw a picture of your set up in another thread and it looks really clean so I may replicate it.

Comment

In the racecar

1. Engine

M50B25 Non Vanos, E34 Harness, 405 DME,

2. Drivetrain

Getrag 260, stock single mass flywheel, 6 puck sprung race clutch

3. Shift Lever

Modified stock 260 trans brace, bent stock shift selector rod, AKG Sportshift shift lever

4. Motor Mounts

AKG Urethane Swap/Race Mounts

5. Brake Booster

E21 Brake Booster

6. Cooling

Late model 325i radiator / expansion tank. 16inch pusher electric fan

7. Exhaust

OBD2 Headers, E36 downpipes, custom Y pipe into a single, Magnaflow muffler

Comment

^how much hp did the redbull can give?

:p

good info and good idea for a thread....will help tons with people doing the swaps

Comment

Just wrapped up this swap, thought I would share some pics.

Still needs an m3 battery tray cover and a few of the beauty cover screw caps, and exhaust, but it's in an d running strong.

Cover off

Going in

john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Engine:
                            s50b30US
                            arp head studs
                            .080 mls head gasket
                            new vanos
                            freshened up head
                            cleaned pistons
                            new oil pump
                            some new gaskets
                            cone air filter

Drivetrain:
                            e36 m3 zf
                            new guibo
                            e30 325e drive shaft w/ new csb
                            3.25LSD

shift linkage:
                            stock e36 m3

wiring:
                            s50 harness, spliced on c101

exhaust:
                            s52 obd2 headers (welded up)
                            stock e36 m3 obd1 midpipe/cats
                            uuc corsa rsc36 cat back

motor mounts:
                            e28 m5 cylinder style

brake booster:
                            e21 320i

cooling:
                            e36 m3 radiator
                            oem ac fan wired to 82 deg fan switch
                            new late model expantion tank

waiting to go on:
                            tune
                            bigger injectors
                            3.5 maf

Last edited by e30shmobberr; 08-17-2012, 10:41 PM.

Patrick - IG:niicknac
                            RIP 1987 BMW 325is - S50'd ZF 6-speed, flared, bagged

Comment

1. Engine
                              M50TUB25, S50 cams, KA Motors CF intake, TMS tune. E30 318is throttle cable, safety wired oil pump nut, Speed-Freak's skid plate, Renewed Finishes powder coated valve cover.

2. Engine Wiring
                              It's an E36 harness, but I'm not sure about it exactly because I had to ground pin 66 before it would spark/fuel/fire relays. Apparently it was looking for EWS or something (on 2 different red label 413 DMEs). Mated to the E30 C101 by yours truly.

3. Drivetrain
                              E30 M42 Getrag 240, Euro 323i/early 528e single-mass (M20) flywheel @ 13.5lbs, M20 clutch/PP, Euro 323i TOB. E36 325 driveshaft, E30 CSB mounted in stock orientation. Z4 2.5i 3.64 torsen diff.

UUC E36 M3 Evo 3 SSK (p/n USCE), Euro E30 320i carrier, 320i/M3 selector rod

5. Motor Mounts
                              E36 arms, Revshift M42 blue poly mounts (round E28 M5 mounts in reserve)

6. Brake Booster, Master Cylinder
                              E30 iX booster, 25mm Gerling master cylinder, 2002 reservoir

7. Steering System
                              Z3 2.7:1 rack, E36 reservoir location/lines, E30 pressure line

8. Cooling System
                              stock M42 radiator, FF Dynamics 16" fan pushing from in front of the A/C condensor. wired up to aux fan switch with lower temp switch.

9. Exhaust System
                              Raceland shorty headers mated to 318is y-pipe/cat/center section, fox exhaust E30 318is specific cat back (all 2.25")

Last edited by EürOV3R; 08-20-2012, 07:26 PM.

Comment

1. Engine

S52, OBD1 head ( rebuilt) IWS racing timing chains, Dinan stage 2 tune, Technica EWS and error delete. re pinned x20 to c101. Used OBD2 engine harness from an M52 car. ARP's and Cometic .70 MLS, fuel rail from 97 528i.
                                2. Drivetrain

ZF320 that came from 00 M coupe stock clutch, ZF slave, UUC line.
                                3. Shift Lever

Turner drop in ( old school )shifter and DSSR.

4. Motor Mounts

E28 motor mounts from 328ijunkie

5. Brake Booster

booster and master from e32 ( dual chamber same pn# as ix)

6. Cooling

Sock cooling system,e36 6 cyl upper and lower hoses.

7. Exhaust
                                Running ebay headers and E36 M3 cats and custom piping, still OBD2 all the way
                                Originally posted by 325Projectz
                                don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                                :nice:

Comment

Working...
                                X