Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nikon bits

Hey r3v,

Figured there were probably some guys that shoot on here. I just picked up a Nikon D5000.

I used to shoot throughout college and high school with a Rebel that my schools supplied so I'm not entirely new to the DSLR/photoshop game. However, when it comes to products available I'm no expert, hardware was always supplied to me. My camera came with a nice little Nikkor 50mm. I'm going on a trip to France in the next week and I want something 300mm or higher for more up close pics. Zooms of architecture and such.

I was stumbling through the internet and found this guy:

Its a Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G does anyone know if its worth a damn? Looks pretty cheap price wise compared to other lens' that size so my gut tells me something is wrong. Everything I seem to dig up tells me it fits but again I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to buying DSLR hardware so I want to be sure.

Basically two(3) questions:
    1- will that lens work for my camera?
    2- is it worth a damn?
    2a- If not what is?

Thanks in advance!

Yes it will work on your camera, but it will be 1.5 times larger than listed due to the crop factor. It uses plastic optics, and has no image stabilization. Here are a few shots that I took using a D7000 with the lens.

The better bet would be to spend a little more money on the 70-300VR lens. This guy... http://www.digitaloutlets.net/nikon/nk70300vr-954/ Here are a few shots that I took with it.

The VR version is far better in optical clarity and sharpness. A $90 lens is a $90 lens, very very cheap. Spend the $ for the better lens.

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Thanks, going with the glass.

Comment

Working...
      X