Wheel and tire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Los818 View Post
    Thank you for the info. At the moment because my car is not 100% track I don't want something too sticky that will wear out quick. I want a tire that I can take to the track and cruse around on the weekends.

You are correct! Correction 225/45/15 on the hankook tire.

Thank you so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the moment I'm in Group 2 lol.

I'm just going to go ahead and roll my fenders. $80 for all four.

I really appreciate the info.

Comment

Originally posted by klodkrawler05 View Post
      Also worth noting, compound > width.

Since you've already been talked down to 225/205 I'll ignore the 245's. generally speaking street tires prefer to be square on the wheel or even have the slightest bit of stretch. You won't gain much if any time with a 225 vs a 205 on a 8" wheel, but you will lose steering feedback pinching the wider tire on a narrower wheel which ultimately could lead to slower lap times as some drivers don't do well with vague setups.
      This is very true.
      I tried to find a video on this topic that was also tested on the track and the results were what you explained - couldn't find the vid, but in the end the bloated tire on the same 8" wide wheel did worse than the squared tire on the 8" since bigger tires roll faster.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by klodkrawler05 View Post
        The Dunlop star spec and Falken rt615k are a bit faster but still wear better and net slower lap times than the group 1 tires

If you're talking purely autocross lap times, yes. The "group 1" tires you mentioned are designed specifically for autocross so they're really good in that setting. However, from what I've been told by folks who've run them on an actual track they grease up (too) quickly after multiple laps.

I wouldn't recommend either of the "group 1" tires for a car that will see mostly street driving.
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

The RE71Rs fall off predictably on the track. I think you could easily get a 20 minute session driven fairly hard. They will probably slow down a second or so on a minute laptime track once you get to the end of the session.

They do not last very long overall. I believe I will put them at the wear bars in 6 dry days. I also drive these on the street, so I don't want to fool around with wide tires below the wear bars in case it rains.

Originally posted by whysimon
          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
            I think you could easily get a 20 minute session driven fairly hard. They will probably slow down a second or so on a minute laptime track once you get to the end of the session.
            That's essentially my point. The only times I've driven a 20 minute session is when I intentionally cut a stint short at an HPDE - at those usually I'm on track for 30 minutes at a time or more.

As for crap can racing where two hour stints are the norm, no way I'm driving either of those "group 1" tires.
            Originally posted by kronus
            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I just installed the Hankook rs3 225/45/15

Big difference on handling. Love them.

Comment

I'll get a better picture tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                X