Clutch removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch removal

Hey guys, I am having a hell of a time getting the top reverse torx bolt off of the bellhousing of my sETA. I have attacked this bolt from every angle with both shallow and deep socket reverse torx wrenches and I just cant seem to get it off. Any advise for a noob like me? The bolt in question has wrench on it in the photo and is right up next to the fire wall. http://imgur.com/a/M1KGN

Get under the car with every extension, u-joint and wobble joint you have. Use as much 1/2" drive as you can. Tape the joints if you have to so they don't flop around. Use a breaker bar first. Getting it slid onto the bolt might require a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
      Get under the car with every extension, u-joint and wobble joint you have. Use as much 1/2" drive as you can. Tape the joints if you have to so they don't flop around. Use a breaker bar first. Getting it slid onto the bolt might require a friend.
      Do I need to remove the bolt just above it that goes into the firewall?

Comment

Not sure what you mean

Comment

I ended up dropping the rear of the drive train to make space to attack the bolt. I am working in my garage, so space is a bit of an issue (no lift) and I didnt have enough clearance from the ground to use the breaker bar. I could not get this thing to budge. I think that I am going to end up just pulling the whole drive train and work on the bolt once it is out of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by smooov View Post
            I ended up dropping the rear of the drive train to make space to attack the bolt. I am working in my garage, so space is a bit of an issue (no lift) and I didnt have enough clearance from the ground to use the breaker bar. I could not get this thing to budge. I think that I am going to end up just pulling the whole drive train and work on the bolt once it is out of the car.

I loosened the motor mounts and jacked up the motor from the front so it gave it that tipping over behavior than went to harbor freight and bought 3 2.5 foot long extension and put it on a wobble head and cracked it off with a breaker bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by staysideways View Post
              I loosened the motor mounts and jacked up the motor from the front so it gave it that tipping over behavior than went to harbor freight and bought 3 2.5 foot long extension and put it on a wobble head and cracked it off with a breaker bar.

I ended up stripping the bolt out. I used every wobble, extension and ujoint that I had. Either way, I hammered the torx bit on there, but it just wouldn't crank. A new harbor freight just opened up in my town so I am going to head over and buy a few more extensions this weekend and see if I can make enough room to hit it with the long breaker bar. I will keep you guys updated.
              Thanks a million for talking me through this guys!

Comment

Are you soaking it with PB Blaster?

Comment

Are you soaking it with PB Blaster?
                  Yes, I soaked it in penetrating juice a few times during the attack. I will soak it good tonight.

Comment

Not WD40 I hope

Comment

Also if you can get in there smack the bolt head either directly with hammer or use a long steel rod /extension ,sometimes shocking the bolt will help loosen it

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                      Angus
                      88 E30M3 X2
                      89 325IX
                      92 R100GS/PD
                      :)

Comment

Not WD40 I hope
                        No way, I got some pb bolt penetrate

Comment

Put a torch to it

Heat helps

Comment

It came apart today guys!
                            Discover topics like Harry Potter, and the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like samesmile.

Comment

Nice. Did you end up getting the long extensions from harbor freight? They are awesome. I have the ones that lock so the socket doesn't stay on the bolt. Everyone needs at least 2

Comment

Working...
                              X