Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! car is burning out Distributor caps like crazy HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! car is burning out Distributor caps like crazy HELP!

okay so im now to this form thing but i really need help on my 91 325ix e30 , hears the backround
    i just recently replaced my water pump , along with the timing belt , t belt tensioner , all belts , alternator , battery , spark plug wires , spark plugs , distributor cap and rotor . and there was a bracket that i didnt remember taking off . i couldent figure out were it went so i just didnt put it on , dumb i know .so i socked all the nuts and bolts back on , including my uper timing belt cover , it had a gap between the engine and the cap so i tried tighing it to bring it together but it didint i was just going to put silicone on it and call it a day.
    so it ran great for about 3 days then on my way to my buddys house i got a misfire , a small one . later on in the day i left and it had gotten alot worse and had no power , bucking bad exc. so i checked my cap and it was burnt , i figured out that the odd bracket i had was a spacer for the uper timing belt cover and that were the gap was from ,so i replaced the distributer cap and rotor again and put the bracket on. but it still had a really bad misfire and burnt the cap and rotor again .
    i have no idea what is going on with my car , im no expert mechanic but im not a novice . i think i bent my t belt cover and its making my cap ofset so its arking in all the wrong places? if you guys could help me that would help me so much
    i need my car and as of now without it i am about to loose my job :down::hitler:

So, you reassembled the upper timing cover properly and put on another new cap and new rotor, and it's still misfiring? Have you checked the coil? Looks like you replaced everything but that. Cap might still be ok if it isn't cracked and exhibits no carbon tracks. Start by again replacing the rotor, at least they're somewhat cheap.

Comment

that bracket goes between the cover . get it back in there
      We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
      www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Without the engine lifting bracket in place, the life of the distributor will be short.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
          that bracket goes between the cover . get it back in there
          Originally posted by blunttech
          r3v does not fuck around. First you get banned, then they shoot you

Comment

Reading is fundamental. He said he put the bracket back on. I say buy a quality cap and rotor. I can't figure any other reason for failure.
            Looking for late model fogs, E39 Fog lights, cool cheap 17 5x120 wheels.

Comment

i think i might have bent the timing belt cover by socking it down without the bracket on , its on now with the bracket and still misfires so i believe that its bowed somehow and it mesing up the arks

Comment

If the bracket is back on and timing cover is seated against the bracket, the cover isn't bent.

It would seem that there are other things going on as evidenced by oyr latest post on bfc. Go check that thread.
                The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
                X