300whp NA m20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
    So true john, although don't leave out m20's big block brother m30!

Go back in time and think about it, mid 1980's, 2.5 liters, passes emissions with no egr system, and makes 170hp.

Pretty damn impressive when 5.0 liter mustangs were 225 hp at the time.

m30 is an American big block.
    m20/sb will make as much power as m30/bb
    BUT
    torque makes smiles ;)
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Don't let all these nay Sayers get ya down. 300hp is unlikely but 200 isn't and 200hp in a 2800lbs makes for a good time. Mild turbo set up or an eBay kit (which isn't a bad place to start for a first timer) is around 1k. If you wAnt it bad enough you can do anything

Comment

Originally posted by -bimmerboy- View Post
        Thanks Fear, that kit looks amazing......someday ill have it. I do know a fair ammount about "wrenching" im actually in the process of rebuilding my head. Ill post some pictures if anyone wants to see it. Ive done all the work on it myself. I did the water pump when i bought the car, timing belt is gonna be done when i put the head back on, i got new spark plugs....all that stuff. The maintenance is covered on this car. There isnt a THING wrong with it. But so i think im going to take all the advice you guys have given me and go to one of those driving schools you were talking about. Im already a member of BMWCCA but i dont know if they have any schools around me and how i would find any. Plus the only suspension stuff ive done is a sparco strut tower and some stiffer bilsteins.....
        Get in touch with your local chapter here. Every chapter has some very nice helpful people that will go out of their way to help you enjoy and learn about your car.

SCCA autocross is called Solo. Find your region here:

Comment

sorry to dig up an old thread but i came across this and it made me laugh. My first car was a 67 MG midget with a 1275cc pushrod 4banger and dual SU carbs with a generous 50hp at the wheels (guess). the second is a 74 2002tii which is somewhere in the area of 100hp at the wheels (its in the works guys, if anyone wants to donate motor parts pm me :P), an 86 golf diesel with 53 hp at the crank, a 2002.5 gti 24v vr6 with 200 crank hp, and now my 89 ix, the least fun out of all of these was that gti, corners will bring you smiles time and time again, running through s bends in my tii and watching typical 911, e46 m3 etc drivers slowly back off never ceases to make me grin a little, that golf diesel i never got over 85 mph downhill but with no factory sway bars, that little car was a hoot at 35 mph in a turn. Now in my ix, i wish i had the mods you already do, and just like what e30rooster said, all my friends are getting into new cars that will roast my car any day on a drag strip, and i feel the want for a fast car. That been said, and i know that every person who reads this reply will agree, when you walk out somewhere to get back in your little old e30, there is a sense of pride in what you are driving. I know i grin almost every time i go out and see my little white cornering machine. I commend you for getting in the right car so young, and when you feel like selling the car, dont, whatever your looking at isn't worth it, (unless its another e30 of course)

Comment

~350rwhp 2.85L NA M20
            The Samsonas motorsport transmission equipped, Braune Supatune E30 had to start from 35th position after retiring on the final lap of race 2 due to breaking ...
            12.921 @ 106.48mph - N/A E36 3.0L daily driver

Comment

Your much better off making the E30 lighter. Reducing weigh is Free HP. I would keep everything you remove, except maybe the tar sound material, if you want to return to stock in the future. Biggest Bang for your Buck on the Planet!
              Preamble:
              "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Comment

200hp is pretty obtainable, I think with the right parts and know how 300 is not that far away. I know the Aussies have cracked this 3 times. Here is my graph from my E30. A little before and after, stock vs highly modded.

2.8l, E28TD forged crank, forged pistons, H-Beam rods, cam, HD rockers, stock intake, headers. Stock head, stock intake, stock air meter.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by morerevsm3 View Post
                  Ha! No way. I watched the race via youtube the day after. Enjoyed the improved-production race more than the actual 12hr. Great to know the M20 was up to the task.
                  ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I think with the right parts and know how 300 is not that far away.
                    Yup, slap a T04 onto those curves, and you're at 300, no problems.

Getting well over 100bhp/liter n/a out of an M20 is going to make for one peaky, fragile, expensive street engine... and not even a very durable race engine.

Sweet Jesus, Bathurst is terrifying in an E30. Those walls don't move. At all.

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                      Yup, slap a T04 onto those curves, and you're at 300, no problems.
                      t
                      Staying NA on this one. Already received the RHD ITBS, just need to mount them and plum everything. After this may massage the head since she is just stock. But 195 on factory head, intake, AFM and factory DME... not too bad... compared to guys running 3.1l strokers and only getting 170-180 at the rear wheels.

Comment

Working...
                      X