Need help diagnosing potential starter motor issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help diagnosing potential starter motor issue

The past few months my car had been struggling to turn over. It would take about 3-5 seconds to crank, but eventually start up every time. A few weeks ago I'm trying to start it up, but the car never turns over. It was VERY cold at the time. Somehow I believe the starter motor got stuck in an "engage" position if you will. There was a loud electrical sound coming from the engine bay. So I immediately tried removing the key. That does nothing. There is still an electrical current running through the car (window switches illuminated, same with a few dash lights, and the noise was continuing). I freak out and decide to try and unhook the battery to kill the electrical current in the car since removing the key did nothing. Before I was able to do that, what I believe was the starter motor "blew" and a tiny little puff of smoke came from under the hood and the electrical noise from the engine stopped immediately. Obviously the car would not start after that.

My co-workers at Costco who work in the tire center said it sounds like the starter motor got "stuck" trying to initiate the starting of the car, which is more than the motor can handle which caused it to blow up. I have yet to have a true expert come look at the car though. I'm curious if any of you have heard of similar stories or can confirm or deny this is a starter motor issue?

If so, is this something that can easily be fixed, or will this have caused more damage?

As always, I greatly appreciate all the knowledge you guys are willing to share!
    '91 Brilliantrot 318iS - Sold
    '95 e34 s50 Touring - P/O
    '87 Alpine White 325iS - Current

Any thoughts? I'd hate to spend a couple hundred on a new starter motor if the problem is bigger than that.

Comment

The first step you should take is to put the car in neutral, ignition off then you want to take a cable from your positive terminal on the firewall to the starter. This way, you'll isolate just the starter in your diagnosis. Let us know what you find out.
      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Remove starter and take it to an auto electrician for rebuild. They will tell you very quickly if its the starter or not. Ive never bought a new starter starter always had them repaired.

You may have busted the solenoid in the statter too causing it to "stick on".

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
          The first step you should take is to put the car in neutral, ignition off then you want to take a cable from your positive terminal on the firewall to the starter. This way, you'll isolate just the starter in your diagnosis. Let us know what you find out.
          I'll try and do this during my next off day! Thanks!

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
          Remove starter and take it to an auto electrician for rebuild. They will tell you very quickly if its the starter or not. Ive never bought a new starter starter always had them repaired.

You may have busted the solenoid in the statter too causing it to "stick on".
          I appreciate the advice Davie! I'll start looking for an auto electrician in the area.

Comment

Check your engine ground strap, too. If it's badly corroded, it would negatively affect the power to the starter, and would eventually blow like that.

Comment

Working...
            X