camera mount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    that's a good idea. I guess the only problem with having it in the back seat is I wouldn't be able to reach the camera when I'm strapped in my seat. would be fine for HPDEs though.

I guess having the camera on the headrest wouldn't be that bad. it looks like the chasecam can be adjusted to keep it as far away from my head as possible. the only real reason I worry is sometimes my foot slips onto the accelerator pedal (woops), which can jerk me around pretty hard (mmm, torque). I actually hit my head on the B pillar pretty hard at the last autox I ran in.. good thing I had a helmet on. ;)

that's what remotes are for ;) (the only useful thing i've found to use it for actually)

I made a simple L bracket that mount behind the rear seat (bolts into the rear metal seat pan) and goes back over the parcel shelf. Then mount a tripod head on it and you're done. You have all the adjustability of the tripod minus height.
    Chris
    90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

Originally posted by cramer View Post
      that's what remotes are for ;) (the only useful thing i've found to use it for actually)

I made a simple L bracket that mount behind the rear seat (bolts into the rear metal seat pan) and goes back over the parcel shelf. Then mount a tripod head on it and you're done. You have all the adjustability of the tripod minus height.
      Can you post a pic of your bracket installed?
      My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
      There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

I'll try and take some this weekend (I have to reinstall it)
        Chris
        90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

I used a sticky pod (www.stickypod.com) and I had it mounted on the rear passenger glass. It got a very good angle of my driving and the outside:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

There are other videos in there that used the sticky pod outside the car. As for whoever sells camera mounts, could you provide some more info? Is the whole assembly always that big or can we take some parts off for smaller cameras? Ballpark price?
          Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
          EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
          FullOpp Stickers for sale!
          NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
          Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
          ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrift View Post
            I used a sticky pod (www.stickypod.com) and I had it mounted on the rear passenger glass. It got a very good angle of my driving and the outside:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

There are other videos in there that used the sticky pod outside the car. As for whoever sells camera mounts, could you provide some more info? Is the whole assembly always that big or can we take some parts off for smaller cameras? Ballpark price?
            Love the steering wheel. Turbo made it a lot easier to prolong drifts, didn't it?

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Yes and no... I chose my rear tire size accordingly. Before I had even 185s in the back when I was N/A to ensure I could prolong drifts by simply turning in and using more power.

Ultimately boost becomes a blessing because I can do the same now with wider tires... and it makes the whole process a lot more controllable/predictable. With 185s I was walking a fine line between control and spinning out.

- Erick
              Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
              EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
              FullOpp Stickers for sale!
              NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
              Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
              ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Yeah, figured as much, also, with stock power, keeping a high speed drift going safely if very risky, as the rear tires are on the edge of catching or completly letting go, with more power, you are using a much broader RPM range, adding flexablility. The reason I asked, is because I am planning on building up my next E30 as a track/drift car, with an M30 to start and boost to make it more fun later on :D

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

ended up getting the crusecam mount. it's very well made and fits the seat nicely, it's also pretty far away from my head and compact enough that I really don't have to worry about it.

here's a test video I made, it's not great (too much traffic, I had autofocus switched on, and I'm on snow tires right now) but it gives you a decent idea of where the camera mounts.

(right click, save as)

I'm just itching to start next year's autox season, and hopefully do at least one HPDE next year. I'm hoping to use the camera as a tool to critique my driving and hopefully improve. :)
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Chris,

I think your autofocus was so twitchy because of it being at night. The constantly changing light levels play with its logic.

I'd suggest getting a wide angle lens to put on there - you will get a better overall view of what you are doing. I got one off of eBay for my JVC and it was like 25-30 bucks shipped IIRC.
                    Current Cars
                    2014 M235i
                    2009 R56 Cooper S
                    1998 M3
                    1997 M3

Comment

nando: what exhaust are you running? it sounds mean as hell.
                      My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                      There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCN View Post
                        Chris,

I think your autofocus was so twitchy because of it being at night. The constantly changing light levels play with its logic.

I'd suggest getting a wide angle lens to put on there - you will get a better overall view of what you are doing. I got one off of eBay for my JVC and it was like 25-30 bucks shipped IIRC.
                        yeah, it says in the manual to manually focus it for stuff like that but I just wanted to test out the mount. found a wide angle and telephoto lense kit for $43 shipped, might pick one up but I've already spent much more on this camera setup than I had hoped to. :D

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
                        nando: what exhaust are you running? it sounds mean as hell.
                        it's a supersprint catback and IE shorty headers through the stock catilytic convertor. but it's not the exhaust that makes it sound that way. ;)
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                        X