300whp NA m20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
    You dont need to give up. You have done the basic bolt ons, the way forward just starts to get a lot more expensive for smaller and smaller gains.

Is the car a street or race car?
    Its my car that i drive everyday. And well i know i could get a turbo kit from cxracing for under 2k but i feel like my reliability would be shot completely and my mpg would be terrible. So thats why ive leaned more towards the NA route

Comment

Originally posted by -bimmerboy- View Post
      Its my car that i drive everyday. And well i know i could get a turbo kit from cxracing for under 2k but i feel like my reliability would be shot completely and my mpg would be terrible. So thats why ive leaned more towards the NA route
      It's all in the tune. My 550whp evo gets 22-25mpg if i take it easy on it.

Parts from the CX racing kit have been very reliable, granted i wouldn't use all they give you for obvious reasons. A built and tuned balls to the wall n/a motor will suck gas just the same.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

Well shit thats not what i wanted to hear at all.....im only 16 and well my $250 a week from Papa Johns
        Just enjoy your car as it sits, keep up on the maintenance, do what you gotta do to keep it clean and reliable. You'll get to your goal eventually. Just do some reading about m20 turbo setups here and on e30tech.

Everything takes time man; all the money in the world means nothing if you dont have time or know how to be able to spend it.
        My feedback:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=186328

http://e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74911

Instagram:
        @gears_n_glory

@functionmotorsports

Comment

There isn't a cheap way to obtain a 300whp m20, turbo'd or n/a, at least in terms of being 16 and making $6k a year.

Do all maintenance, then make structured goals and save up accordingly.
          sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
          1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
          1991 318is - Sold
          1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

Originally posted by Komzorz View Post
            Does it pull chilled air straight from the frosty peaks of bavaria or something?
            Can we get a GB on that intake? I'm in.
            sigpic

Comment

lol good thread. would read again

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
              Ig:ryno_pzk
              I like the tuna here.
              Originally posted by lambo
              Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Well shit thats not what i wanted to hear at all.....im only 16 and well my $250 a week from Papa Johns just isnt enough money to buy me what i really want....a turbo setup thats done right. I dont just have 6k sitting around waiting to be spent. How much are stroker kits and what kind of power would they yield?

In all honesty being 16 with an e30 is great in it's own respect. You might need some more grown up advice on this though. You should get your e30 maintenance all squared away first, every bushing, hose and belt. your e30 is 20+ years old and is going to be worn out. I know it sucks going to school and seeing all of the kids drive the new cars their parents bought them, but you have an e30 and its old and probably tired so take care of it first and drive it, have fun. Once you get a little older you can get better paying jobs with more hours and then have some real cash to spend on a good motor and tranny. For now just get all the maintenance taken care of and start saving for a decent suspension setup that way even if your car is slow in a straight line it won't be in a corner. When some time goes by and you have the money for more power you will have the perfect car with a good suspension all ready for that bad ass motor you have been dreaming of.
                sigpic

Comment

Not trolling....whatever the hell that means? Im just trying to get more horsepower working with what i have and with what money i have.....just wanted to know what else i could do to my car to make it faster. I dont have money for an s52 swap or for a turbo unfortunately. So is there anything else i can do to squeeze power out of this engine thats feasible for a 16 year old or should i just give up on trying to reach 250hp?
                  it means we can't tell if you're bullshitting us or not.

anyway, dude, you're 16. I don't want to paint every young guy with the same brush, but I was 16 once too... what are you going to do with 300hp? 154whp in a light RWD car is already plenty enough to get into trouble. I got into all kinds of shit in a 80hp 3200lb land yacht.

A stock E30 isn't fast compared to say, a modern sports car, but it's still pretty fast for a young guy with only a little bit of driving experience. Maybe look up the term "R3v'd" for some perspective.

I assume you really like your E30 - I doubt you'll want to crash it, and that's probably what will happen when an inexperienced driver has that much power.

You've already got some nice mods, although it doesn't sound like they're doing a lot for you (there are *stock* SpecE30 builds putting down more power than that with just a blueprint and balance). Save every penny you have, do maintenance so your E30 is reliable, and otherwise leave it alone.

You make enough money that you could afford to take some driving skills days or HPDEs. Join your local BMWCCA, get some seat time. $250 spent on a track day will teach you how to control your car, and be a lot more fun than drag racing your friends on the street. You'll be a better driver and you'll appreciate your E30 a lot more. And your friends will all be jealous.

Save the mods until you are older. One thing that a lot of us did when we were young were stupid car mods. I once cut a huge hole in the hood of my car for a hood scoop. It looked fucking retarded, but I was a teenager so I thought it was cool. Try to hold off because you'll really appreciate not having a hacked up E30 in 5-10 years.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    it means we can't tell if you're bullshitting us or not.

anyway, dude, you're 16. I don't want to paint every young guy with the same brush, but I was 16 once too... what are you going to do with 300hp? 154whp in a light RWD car is already plenty enough to get into trouble. I got into all kinds of shit in a 80hp 3200lb land yacht.

A stock E30 isn't fast compared to say, a modern sports car, but it's still pretty fast for a young guy with only a little bit of driving experience. Maybe look up the term "R3v'd" for some perspective.

I assume you really like your E30 - I doubt you'll want to crash it, and that's probably what will happen when an inexperienced driver has that much power.

You've already got some nice mods, although it doesn't sound like they're doing a lot for you (there are *stock* SpecE30 builds putting down more power than that with just a blueprint and balance). Save every penny you have, do maintenance so your E30 is reliable, and otherwise leave it alone.

You make enough money that you could afford to take some driving skills days or HPDEs. Join your local BMWCCA, get some seat time. $250 spent on a track day will teach you how to control your car, and be a lot more fun than drag racing your friends on the street. You'll be a better driver and you'll appreciate your E30 a lot more. And your friends will all be jealous.

Save the mods until you are older. One thing that a lot of us did when we were young were stupid car mods. I once cut a huge hole in the hood of my car for a hood scoop. It looked fucking retarded, but I was a teenager so I thought it was cool. Try to hold off because you'll really appreciate not having a hacked up E30 in 5-10 years.

LOL did the same thing here as a kid. Words of wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      I once cut a huge hole in the hood of my car for a hood scoop. It looked fucking retarded
                      *deletes how to/DIY thread in the making*
                      Originally posted by flyboyx
                      i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Nando, I believe he really is 16 from all the treads I have seen him make in the past few days in this section. Just a total lack of searching.

You want around 300hp? have you ever been in a 200hp car? that I think is still too much for a new driver. I don't want to hear shit about you driving in fields or some other shit.

Drive your e30 for a few years...YES!!! a few years and get better. While you are doing that SAVE for a turbo kit or a proper s52 swap. m20 strokers are AMAZING SCCA engines, that is about it unless you go to turbo them.
                        ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                        ~ '87 535
                        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Either way 300hp out of an N/A m20 with a pizza place budget is not going to be possible. Hell Pete Mchenrys old stroker motors had lots o money in them and they were just getting aorund 180-200whp. Those are fun though :)))))))

Comment

Dude $250 a week is a lot. That's about a thousand a month. Most people spend around 3k on a decent m20 turbo setup and it can be done for less. I'd look into that, especially since you're not in California.
                            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

if you're looking to go fast in a straight line, an E30 is absolutely not for you.

if you're looking for the funnest/raw car to drive in corners, keep your E30.
                              Originally posted by flyboyx
                              i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Originally posted by vivek View Post
                                dude $250 a week is a lot. That's about a thousand a month. Most people spend around 3k on a decent m20 turbo setup and it can be done for less. I'd look into that, especially since you're not in california.

n/a..

Comment

Working...
                                X