Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M20B25 wont pull, uphill acceleration is pathetic. fuel pressure numbers included

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20B25 wont pull, uphill acceleration is pathetic. fuel pressure numbers included

I've got a 1989 325i.

complete backstory:
    The gas tank was dented recently on both sides. When driving home about a week ago I noticed the car was stuttering when I was a little low on gas, and the engine didn't have the high pitch E30 sound, but instead a deeper sound, kind of like a V8 at lower RPM but not quite. Figured filling it up would do the trick, but it didn't.

Within the last 8k miles, I've replaced:
    -spark plugs
    -wires
    -cap & rotor
    -timing belt
    -a leaky head gasket

so I don't think it's any of those would be the problem. I just tried replaced the fuel filter and got the injectors professionally cleaned (they were filthy). Unfortunately it's still acting up. Hoping maybe it was just bad gas, I drained the tank, pushed out anything left in the lines with a big air compressor, and put 5 fresh gallons in. The gauge reads at halfway (surprise! I lost ~3 gallons of capacity). It does run a little better with all that changed sure, but isn't quite what it used to be.

I'm at the point where the symptoms will be intermittent, sometimes it'll rev up with the highpitched M20 sound and all is well, and sometimes it'll bogdown, sound like a V8 and struggle to accelerate. I noticed it bogging a lot more when going up hills, however steep they may be.

I hooked up a fuel pressure tester, and at idle it's showing ~40-41 PSI. When you open up the throttle it drops to ~36-37PSI. And finally, when you disconnect the vaccum line connected to the fuel pressure regulator, the pressure goes up to ~47PSI.

TLDR
    I hooked up a fuel pressure tester, and at idle it's showing ~40-41 PSI. When you open up the throttle it drops to ~36-37PSI. And finally, when you disconnect the vaccum line connected to the fuel pressure regulator, the pressure goes up to ~47PSI.

where I'm at now
    Bentley says pressure is supposed to be ~43PSI? I read somewhere else people saying the pressure should be around 35-37PSI at idle and move up to about 42 when the throttle opens? If the second is true my car is doing the exact opposite. Which is the correct pressure?

My theory at this point is with the tank dented, there's more pressure inside the line, but for some reason, it wont send fuel when it's under load (esp on hills). I'm thinking either tank, fuel pump, or fuel pressure regulator needs to be replaced? Maybe the tank and pump need to be replaced? I don't have a jumper wire with a fuse holder, nor an ammeter to test the pump. I'm thinking it's possible the regulator is reading high, but that may be due to the higher pressure from the tank?

Any ideas or input?
    Need a limited slip differential? Check my FS threads

Feedback thread

Also I forgot to say the tach is telling me it's idling exactly where it should be when in the garage, but the whole car shakes more than normal. After driving for a bit, and getting to a stoplight or redlight, it'll idle a little lower than normal for a second or two, and jump up to normal idle.

Spark plugs looked alright. Not fouled out or completely white, but they did look a little on the lighter side. Just not a dramatic amount, but enough of where I'm thinking fuel delivery issue.

Feedback thread

Comment

Originally posted by fanofe30s View Post
      Bentley says pressure is supposed to be ~43PSI? I read somewhere else people saying the pressure should be around 35-37PSI at idle and move up to about 42 when the throttle opens? If the second is true my car is doing the exact opposite. Which is the correct pressure?
      That is correct. Replace the FPR.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I'm fighting the same issue. Power just isn't the level I expect for the 160hp engine. New fuel system, no vacuum leaks, etc etc. I've pretty much exhausted all easy answers, and now I'm looking at the possibility of a skipped cam tooth. 1 off is possible, and disastrous for power levels. A buddy had an older 2.5l chrysler. 1 tooth made a huge difference, and yes, it would still run, almost like normal.

Just one more option to consider if you run out of other options.

Comment

So update would be that I tried out a spare regulator that a friend of mine had laying around. Pressure at idle now is around 42, and when the throttle is open it's around 46PSI. Seems to run a little better but it's still sputtering randomly when accelerating or going uphill. The car shakes less, but the idle fluctuates more actually... I think the next step would be swapping out my dented fuel tank. If the problem persists, then the pump is next. If those don't work then

Originally posted by dewme5 View Post
          I'm fighting the same issue. Power just isn't the level I expect for the 160hp engine. New fuel system, no vacuum leaks, etc etc. I've pretty much exhausted all easy answers, and now I'm looking at the possibility of a skipped cam tooth. 1 off is possible, and disastrous for power levels. A buddy had an older 2.5l chrysler. 1 tooth made a huge difference, and yes, it would still run, almost like normal.

Just one more option to consider if you run out of other options.
          Timing being off could be a possibility for problems like ours. I know in my case I changed the belt ~8k ago and triple checked the alignment marks. It was running perfectly before, it just decided to randomly act up. I think that's going to be a last step for me if nothing else works out. Hopefully your solution is an easy one!

Feedback thread

Comment

A dented tank won't do anything but decrease your capacity (and that's a maybe). If the tank is dented right under the fuel pump and is pushing on the pump, that could be an issue. Pull the pump out and take a look.

A fuel pump that is going bad could also be the issue.

Comment

have you checked for a simple vacuum leak?
              OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Working...
              X