Help me understand my radio/speaker wiring harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me understand my radio/speaker wiring harness

I'm working on installing a new audio system in my 1987 325e.

The car does NOT have the premium audio, so no amp in the back. Just a head unit, two speakers in the front, and two in the back.

Currently, I have a two channel amp hooked up to the speakers in the back. I redirected the wires that were going to the original speakers over to my amp, and used my own wires to go from the amp back to the speakers.

I'm using the power antenna's white wire to trigger if the amp should be on or not.

Works and sounds great so far.

The one piece of information I haven't been able to find so far is: Do the speakers in the front of the car have their wiring going coming from the back, or were they wired directly to the head-unit, avoiding the to the back of the car and back wiring trip?

My next step is of course to get the front speakers set up and working... ideally, if I can, hooked up to the amp. If possible, I'd like to re-use the original wiring, but I'm not sure if the front speakers have wiring going to the back of the car.

I'm assuming if the premium audio cars have an amp, the front speakers would make use of that too... so even though there's no amp here, there could be a chance they wired everyone the same to save on having different variations of the overall harness. Is there a chance that my non-preimum audio car may have something back there I can tap to control the front speakers?

EDIT: For reference, I have been looking for as much detail around the wiring layout for the radio as possible... I came across this PDF [1], which does a good job at explaining how the system is electronically connected together - but not so much as to where the wires physically run.

[1] http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/i...er_Antenna.pdf
    Last edited by Ricapar; 06-18-2017, 05:33 AM.
Working...
X