autox class...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

autox class...

Well for this past year I jumped into STX, but I don't think that's going to work for next year as I'm going with r-comps.

So here's my list:

85 325e
    H&R sports
    Bilstein Sports
    M3 steering rack
    some sort of 14"-15" r comp, 225 or less
    factory clutch type LSD
    aerodynamics - I don't have much but I know they do mention it, just lip spoilers and a small wing
    OEM rotors
    Hawk HPS pads
    Chip
    cold air intake (will most likely be replaced with stock airbox for next season)
    Borla catback

I believe that's about it. What class would I fall into? The classing guide is a little confusing to me. does any of these thigns specifically jump me up to another class? I can do without something like a rear wing if it keeps me in a more competitive class.

Also, I am currently building a motor for my car. It's a 2.5 motor with 2.7 crank and 10.2:1 pistons, 19lbs injectors, and everything else will be mostly stock. Should have it done for late 2007- early 2008. I guess this throws me right into SM so I can get my ass handed to me?

Thanks
    Last edited by JGood; 12-03-2006, 07:28 AM.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

After reading through the regulations again, it looks like I can do DSP. They won't like my motor though, that will put me in SM I guess.
    Last edited by JGood; 12-03-2006, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
      After reading through the regulations again, it looks like I can do DSP. They won't like my motor though, that will put me in SM I guess.
      Unless you're dominating, or winning consistently, I'd just go ahead and run in DSP. (At least on the local level. I wouldn't do that at the Nats.) Its a lot more fun to be running competitively than being DFL in a tougher class.

Comment

Originally posted by redhatpat View Post
        Unless you're dominating, or winning consistently, I'd just go ahead and run in DSP. (At least on the local level. I wouldn't do that at the Nats.) Its a lot more fun to be running competitively than being DFL in a tougher class.

Yeah that's what my thoughts are. I don't think anyone in my local organizations will care.

Thanks!

Comment

Most small organizations wont say anything really. Just dont tell them that it is 10.2:1 compression and blah blah blah

Will
          RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
          Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
          DaveCN = Old Man
          My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
          If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

locally, of course, since you have late model bodywork... and b25 engine looks, you better claim its a 325i.
            for example, Atlanta Region is pretty competative and if you turn out to be a competative factor in PAX by the end of the year, you might have questioning looks.
            other than that, have fun!

Comment

I would run it in the class that it belongs.

I would rather finish last in class where I belong than finish mid-pack cheating. I'll tell you one thing...if your competitors find out that you are blatantly cheating (especially those that are adhereing to the rules) , they will NEVER trust your integrity. If you suck in SM, that's because your car is not even close to being prep'd for SM...not because you suck as a driver. Run it in SM and find a person to measure yourself against for the season...and see if you can improve the gap thru the year. Unfortunately for you, an 85 325 will not be competitive in SM *or* DSP for overall PAX *but* is still a great platform to learn/improve your skills.

Run it in SM until you think you are a kick-ass driver and can improve no-more. Then, ask a local PAX hot-shot to co-drive his car (pay his entry) and see how close you get to his times. If you smoke him/her...THEN it's time to start shopping for a class competitive car. That's why my REAL race car is a ES 1994 Miata R, not my underprep'd E30/S50.

You have to have the right car to win...otherwise, just have fun and improve as a driver.

Ed
              1988 E30/S50...now with S52; Track
              1994 Miata R; ES Solo2
              1998 Lexus LX470; Wife (Slee'd anyway)
              2002 BMW 530i; A+ Commuter
              2002 BMW 325iT; Sport/Premium 5-speed
              2011 21' EconoTrailer

Comment

that is true, why run it in DSP unles you wanted to be competative.
                so dont make a mod like that if you want to play by the scca rules.

back when i started autox, i had changed to a LSD and m3 springs. i went straight into DSP because i respect my competators... and i wouldnt be winning anything in DS anyhoo.

Comment

Play by the rules or run Not for time or Pax in SM. Sounds like you're just there for fun anyways.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Alright, this got way out of hand. I don't want to "cheat".

Pretend the motor swap isn't in question. Will my mods still put me out of DSP? I'd like to run a full competitive season next year, whatever I have to do to legally be in DSP.

Comment

Pretend the motor swap isn't in question. Will my mods still put me out of DSP? I'd like to run a full competitive season next year, whatever I have to do to legally be in DSP.
                      The rack is the only mod that is illegal for DSP.

I'm not accusing you or labeling you or your intentions. It's your competitors that will put the label on you if you run with a stroker and someone finds out.

Have fun and Mod smartly...or just run it in SM and sky be the limit.

Ed
                      1988 E30/S50...now with S52; Track
                      1994 Miata R; ES Solo2
                      1998 Lexus LX470; Wife (Slee'd anyway)
                      2002 BMW 530i; A+ Commuter
                      2002 BMW 325iT; Sport/Premium 5-speed
                      2011 21' EconoTrailer

Comment

Talk to the officials and some of your possible dsp competitors and see what they say about your mods and running in dsp. In my local area, most everyone is pretty casual, and unless you're cleaning up nobody will complain. On the other hand, they might be strictly adhering to the rules and won't let you run in dsp. You won't know until you ask.

Comment

Wait, a E30 M3 steering rack is illegal for DSP?

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Well I don't know about an e30 M3 rack, but the e36 M3 rack requires spacers and the rules say you cannot modify the mounting or location of the rack by use of spacers or bushings other then factory.

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
                              Wait, a E30 M3 steering rack is illegal for DSP?
                              yes. its not legal

wheels, tires, springs, shocks, brake pads, intake up to 1 inch inside head, exhaust up to 1 inch inside head, flywheel/clutch, differential, seats (cant remove), body modifacation (approved by officials) are the only things legally changed for Street Prep'd. (correct me if i'm mistaken)
                              technically, SS brake lines are not legal on any car except the 91 due to age limit.
                              i think you can remove ac and radio... everything in the trunk... revert to mechanical windows... thats about it for weight reduction.
                              Last edited by xLibelle; 12-04-2006, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X