camera mount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

camera mount?

what are you guys using for camera mounts? I just got a new video camera, and I want to mount it somewhere so I can see what I'm doing inside the car.

I don't have a cage or a harness bar, but I'm open to putting in a harness bar to mount the camera. the only requirements are that it's removable and that it fits a 4 door. any ideas on one that would work?

I've also seen the mounts that attatch to the passenger seat, but mine is a bit loose and I don't really like the idea of an aluminum rod poking out right next to my head. if it came down to it I could make one easy enough.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

I have mine attached to the paaenger seat but I added an L shape to it so it sits behind the seats and my head can't hit the bar.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      I've also seen the mounts that attatch to the passenger seat, but mine is a bit loose and I don't really like the idea of an aluminum rod poking out right next to my head. if it came down to it I could make one easy enough.
      I'm using a headrest mount attached to the driver's seat. I've had no issues with vibration and don't worry about head contact because the camera ends up a touch behind the headrest and I'm wearing a helmet.

Comment

^Where did you get your setup?

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse View Post
          ^Where did you get your setup?
          Mine is a CruiseCam, that I bought from ChaseCam, but ChaseCam doesn't sell it anymore. Here's another link I just found.

Comment

Rear headrests? If you don't have them, I was toying with an idea of mounting it to the rear bulkhead, and then having it bend forward towards the front of the car, using flatbar with a triangle reinforment welded in at the bend location.

Pic isn't great, but by using flat bar, it should allow you to have the rear seat mounted aswell. Also, making the top part removable wouldn't be hard, and would stealth it nicely for DD use.
            Attached Files

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

I have the CruiseCam as well. If you have rear headrests, you could mount it back there if you dont like it being on the seat next to you.
              Current Cars
              2014 M235i
              2009 R56 Cooper S
              1998 M3
              1997 M3

Comment

If you crash hard enough that you and your neck are flying towards the mount, then you have serious problems regardless if theres a mount there or not.

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
                You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
                  Rear headrests? If you don't have them, I was toying with an idea of mounting it to the rear bulkhead, and then having it bend forward towards the front of the car, using flatbar with a triangle reinforment welded in at the bend location.

Pic isn't great, but by using flat bar, it should allow you to have the rear seat mounted aswell. Also, making the top part removable wouldn't be hard, and would stealth it nicely for DD use.
                  that's a good idea. I guess the only problem with having it in the back seat is I wouldn't be able to reach the camera when I'm strapped in my seat. would be fine for HPDEs though.

I guess having the camera on the headrest wouldn't be that bad. it looks like the chasecam can be adjusted to keep it as far away from my head as possible. the only real reason I worry is sometimes my foot slips onto the accelerator pedal (woops), which can jerk me around pretty hard (mmm, torque). I actually hit my head on the B pillar pretty hard at the last autox I ran in.. good thing I had a helmet on. ;)
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I made my ex's head crack the interior light.

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
                    You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

i sell the camera car mounts if anyone is interested.

sigpic

Comment

that window mount looks huge from that pic^
                        My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                        There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          that's a good idea. I guess the only problem with having it in the back seat is I wouldn't be able to reach the camera when I'm strapped in my seat. would be fine for HPDEs though.
                          Even with it on the front seat headrest posts, its hard to reach when sitting in the car. What I do:
                          1. Mount the camera to the seat and adjust the seat to my track position.
                          2. Go in the back seat and adjust where the camera view is and tighten everything. Only once per weekend need to do this.
                          3. Before each session, I flip the seat forward and turn the camera on. I end up taping me getting in the car, adjusting my belts, putting on my helmet and driving to pit lane. It wastes 10 minute of tape, but I'm only on the track for 30 minutes, so have plenty of space on a 60 minute tape.

Comment

Cheapest most reliable mount kit! LOL!

Edit: Had to film something for a class, need a 20 second clip of a car chase.
                            Got a 97 so i guess it works good.

Comment

Working...
                            X