'89 316i E30 LS1 Swap Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit of an update on this >>

Swapped out the Z3 P/S rack for a Z4 manual rack. Had to replace the rack side u-joint with a different spline count version. Also had to shorten the supplied Sikky shaft about 1.5" and redo the accessory belt routing. So far so good. The Z4 rack feels nice and solid, no belt issues and best of all no god damn oil leaks!

After fixing that issue and bleeding the clutch again I took the car out for the first time this afternoon. Drove around the block, warmed it up, checked for any leaks or issues. The car definitely needs an alignment and new tires (I'm currently rolling on 7 year old rock solid china shit). No traction in the first four gears. With the manual brakes, it definitely needs a BBK or at least non-base model vented rotors/calipers & higher friction pads.

Otherwise everything feels solid no leaks, no noise, no weird shit. Just need to adjust everything I installed (brake MCs, clutch MC, steering, suspension, throttle linkage, etc, etc) to my liking and clean up the car.

The single 16" pusher radiator fan fared well with 110F ambient temps. Coolant didn't go above 190F and it drops to about 185F while idling in the heat. However I already have a dual 12" puller fan setup which I'm gonna install and wire up later on. I'll go into detail when the time comes.

I'll try to get a video at some point. Hopefully once everything is set up right.
    Alpine White 1989 E30 Coupe - LS1/T56

Comment

So happy to see you finally get this on the road!

Comment

Great news! Post up some vids. I'm in for more feedback on the braking setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        My Garage
        09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
        09 E92 335i Msport
        09 E70 X5 4.8
        88 325es - Build Thread - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=383423
        87 325i m50 swap
        87 325es

Comment

Drove the car around some more. Haven't adjusted anything yet but I needed to put some more miles on her before I can do its first oil change. The car is loud as fuck. I'm gonna need to dynomat the floors and trans tunnel cuz it does get pretty hot after a lot of driving in 110F summer heat. Filled the car up with fuel and the fuel tank vent system I rigged up seems to work fine.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Q8y_drifter View Post
              . The car definitely needs an alignment and new tires (I'm currently rolling on 7 year old rock solid china shit). No traction in the first four gears.
              Burnout vid not loading

also congrats on getting it running!!!!
              -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
              08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
              318iS, slow build/garage queen...
              '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
              Originally posted by roguetoaster
              Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

I'm still on the stock 168mm small case LSD diff and 26yr old worn out axles. Idk how long these will last in a burnout lol. I'll be installing my 188mm diff & upgraded axles soon I hope.

Comment

dude that's what im talking about im glad everythings going good!!
                  e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

Comment

New super short video. Nothing exciting. Fuck traffic.

Last edited by Q8y_drifter; 03-30-2017, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Installed my coilovers and wheels/tires a couple days back. R888s in 225's all around. Tight squeeze. Gonna have to roll the fenders just a hair and install spacers in the front for full lock.

I'd do a ton more if it wasn't for this damn heat wave. 129.2F in the shade two days ago in Kuwait. Highest ever recorded in history.

Comment

Those tyres look great. How is the traction now? I'm looking at 225/45/15 all round, reckon that's the way to go, or 205/50/15 up front? Semi slicks like yours.
                          '90 318is

Comment

Havent tested em yet. Its still on jack stands waiting for suspension adjustments

Comment

What's the update?hows ut going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

Hey. Yeah I haven't touched the car since my last post lol

I'm currently working on my Jeep Grand Wagoneer camper vehicle project + LS swap, rebuilding a 454 BBC for a friend's speed boat AND prepping my Wrangler JK for a cross-country road trip next week.

So yeah the E30 is gonna have to sit for a while until I finish up these other projects.

Comment

Working...
                                X