Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Dad's DD to my new toy... M62B44 swap time!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get in touch with e36brua about the exhaust. He was able to get is car BARd here in CA by modding the stock headers- it's impossible to do with the X5 parts.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
      Get in touch with e36brua about the exhaust. He was able to get is car BARd here in CA by modding the stock headers- it's impossible to do with the X5 parts.
      Brother, I cannot for the life of me find "e36brua" anywhere else besides your two posts on these boards mentioning that name. Is it perhaps a typo?

Google is only showing 3 results

edit: I found him... its' just "36brua" no "e"
      Last edited by wspellmann; 04-20-2017, 11:37 PM.
      My current E30 M62B44 swap

Comment

Originally posted by wspellmann View Post
        Brother, I cannot for the life of me find "e36brua" anywhere else besides your two posts on these boards mentioning that name. Is it perhaps a typo?

Google is only showing 3 results

edit: I found him... its' just "36brua" no "e"
        Shit my bad!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
        Transaction feedback
        - jpod999

Comment

I've gotten lots done over the last few days. Here's a before/after of the E30's engine bay.

Uploading pics now, more to come!

Comment

I've been prepping the donor car to remove the 4.4 and 420G. This whiteboard has been a nice visual aid along with printed sections of Bently's svc manual pdf.

Comment

And here we are now! Just need to get the battery cable disconnected from the oil pan. I'm actually keeping the starter and trans connected to pull it all out as one unit, get the trans on dollys and then get the motor on an engine stand that I picked up today.

Comment

There was a nice surprise while trying to disconnect the ground strap... BROKEN MOTOR MOUNT!

Comment

are you talking about ergen motorsport for the dme? everything from them is about 2x as expensive as it should be. there are people here in the usa that will do v8 dme flashes. do some research in the commercial classifieds. check bimmerforums too. if you can't find anything, look at the guys that do s54 tunes. call the most reputable ones first. unless you really know code, i would say there is nothing in the dme that you will be able to change without f'ing it to hell.
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                  92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                  88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                  88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                  87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                  12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

The frame on the E39 is bent pretty bad on the drivers side just in front of the alternator.

The angle grinder said that it won't be a problem and delivered. There won't be any obstructions anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                      are you talking about ergen motorsport for the dme? everything from them is about 2x as expensive as it should be. there are people here in the usa that will do v8 dme flashes. do some research in the commercial classifieds. check bimmerforums too. if you can't find anything, look at the guys that do s54 tunes. call the most reputable ones first. unless you really know code, i would say there is nothing in the dme that you will be able to change without f'ing it to hell.
                      Thank you! Direction is what I was looking for. Yeah, Ergen is way overpriced. I may buy their headers one day though.

Comment

Assembling the engine stand right now.

The only thing still pinned down right now is the gear shift pivot arm which I'm assuming will slide out with the trans. Am I wrong about that?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

One V8 and transmission. Out

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by wspellmann; 05-03-2017, 10:38 PM.

Comment

I can't believe I got the motor and trans out without any real problems other than my load leveler handle breaking off.

And I did it all WITH NO HELP.

It took nearly two hours to get it all out in one piece. The hobbled leveler definitely added time to the removal, but no big deal. I figured out that my cordless impact driver does a great job of operating the leveler much faster than hand cranking. Gotta love those 4.0 amp-hour battery packs.

Transmission is off and strapped to a little dolly in the garage. I started to try to get the clutch off but the bolts were non-compliant and I was running out of daylight. Sprayed all of them liberally with some PB Blaster to soak overnight. Hopefully they loosen up.

Ordered a JB Racing lightweight flywheel from Turner Motorsports and an OEM clutch from rock auto.

Waiting on subframe reinforcements from garagistic (mistakenly only got the ones for rear trailing arms) and then will find a welder to get that and the transmission bracket welded up.

I also shipped my DME to DUDMD after some email exchanges with Dmitri. Performance tune, cat delete, and EWS delete (will make wiring much easier).

I really wanted to learn how to flash the DME and tune myself, but the people who do know how aren't and/or haven't been willing to teach anyone. It's really sad that the BMW community hasn't cracked this nut for the masses yet. I feel like we're missing out on a lot of potential talent (tuners) just because the basic knowledge and software is kept secret so they can keep charging people hundreds of dollars to do a few hours of "work."

Oh well... ya know what they say about BMWs... "gotta pay to play."

Comment

Waiting for the flywheel removal tool and a whole gasket set for the motor so I spent the day cleaning the transmission of 20 years of grease. Unfortunately, I do not have any before photos. I didn't think of it until I was almost done. But she sure cleaned up nicely.

If you are looking to get grease off of a motor or whatever else, this shit right here is AWESOME! It needs to be the heavy duty gel, though.

Comment

Today was a good day. Drive up to Austin and got myself a set of style 5's in 17x8 with some Continental DWS with 85-90% tread left on them for a really good price. I really, really wanted style 32 but the 5's were on the short list anyway.

I also got my flywheel tool in the mail, which means I finally got that damn flywheel off and remembered to get a before shot of working with this degreaser.

Before...

Let sit for ten minutes, scrub the trouble areas with a brush, then rinse. Total time was 20 minutes.

After...

Got the old girl up on the stand thanks to some homemade bolts. It's very nice living less than a mile from a Fastenal. The guys there are beginning to recognize me.

I just need to get the rear calipers off of the E39 for my 5lug/big brake kit mods and the big old girl can finally be interred to her final resting place in a scrapyard. Tomorrow I will get the garage cleaned up and organized to prepare for breaking down the motor for new gaskets that are on the way.

Getting really excited to tear into the motor to see if the previous owner was lying about the chain guides and tensioners being done "less than 10,000 miles ago.". Fingers crossed

Comment

Working...
                                X