M20 power loss over time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
    You can't do that on an eta. You need the 2 fuel pumps. They have a different fuel line routing system. The in tank pump is just a transfer pump, the high pressure pump is outside.

I'd swap the fuel pumps back and see what happens.
    Thanks I'll check that and see if fuel pressure increases.

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
      I think those rimzzzz are a big part of your problem..... you're not gettin' the powah to da pavement....

t
      Yeah I heard bbs always have the best power : pavement ratio, maybe I'll go buy a set and see if the issue is fixed. :nice::nice:

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
        If you are running the original 2.79 or 2.93 diff, the light flywheel might have caused a loss in low end torque needed to run those gears. Maybe try a 3.25 or 3.46. Lightening the flywheel will make an eta rev quicker, but there is no high end to rev to with the 4.5K rev limit.
        Issue was there before and after my flywheel. So it can't be that. My car actually rev's all the way to 5k. Possibly chipped? I always thought all ETA's had the 5k rev limit.

Comment

Tried changing out the AFM with a known good one, still had the issue. Installed a high pressure in line fuel pump again and still no improvement. Checked fuel pressure, it's going from 31 idle to 36 WOT so no issue there. Next thing to do is remove the cat and see what happens with that. Anyone have other ideas?

Comment

ignition components? any signs of missfire? injectors old/refurbed are you getting fuel flow as per bentley??
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
              ignition components? any signs of missfire? injectors old/refurbed are you getting fuel flow as per bentley??
              I did a full tune up already and that didn't help, no signs of misfire. Car runs, idles, drives fine, just has a lower amount of power than an ETA should. I'll check on the injectors if my cat isn't the issue. How would I go about checking fuel flow to injectors?

Comment

I hate to be a buzzkill, but your light flywheel probably wants to make its magic just when you hit the rev limit. An eta makes its torque with a long stroke, restricted exhaust and a heavy flywheel. After the 325i came out the gearing changed to 3.73 for a reason. How light did you go? Its something to be open minded about anyway. Maybe you were losing power from a bad tune and now you would have your power back if you added the torque back into the equation.

A chip might solve the problem - know anyone to borrow one from.

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
                  I hate to be a buzzkill, but your light flywheel probably wants to make its magic just when you hit the rev limit. An eta makes its torque with a long stroke, restricted exhaust and a heavy flywheel. After the 325i came out the gearing changed to 3.73 for a reason. How light did you go? Its something to be open minded about anyway. Maybe you were losing power from a bad tune and now you would have your power back if you added the torque back into the equation.

A chip might solve the problem - know anyone to borrow one from.
                  Well I got the flywheel for when I do my head swap, wasn't really for the ETA motor besides the fact that I needed the clutch and flywheel to be replaced at that time. It's a JB racing 10lb aluminum flywheel, but the issue was happening before and after the flywheel so I don't think that is causing any issues. I have a 325is exhaust with headers, still has cat and resignator. Car ran good after I swapped the exhaust and had no issues but that was when I first got the car, and it's been slowly losing power. Just tried drilling some holes pre-cat to see if the cat is the issue. If not I'll weld the holes back up and check other things. Would a chip go bad? I believe mine is chipped already since I rev all the way to 5k but I wasn't told anything of a chip when I bought the car. Maybe throw a new ECU in and see what that does?

Comment

I can't really tell the power loss by driving the car anymore since I daily it and am used to it now. How I tell is by trying to do a standstill burnout. Even when it's wet out the car will just die out instead of holding the rev's. When I first got the car it would bounce off rev limiter no issue in a standstill. It isn't an issue that just happened overnight, it's definitely over a period of time, I have a couple videos where it would just bounce off the limiter and spin tires no issues, then a video where it took a couple seconds for the rev's to build back up then it would stay around 4K but wouldn't rev up the rest, now it'll just drop revs from where I release the clutch at.

Comment

Working...
                    X