Rough idle when cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough idle when cold?

Just recently my 89 325i has been running rough at idle. I put M50 injectors in a couple months ago and it was running great after I installed those. Idled very smooth all the time. Seems to idle fine when its nice and hot (operating temp). I've been thinking I need to do a valve adjustment since I've had the car for a couple years now and haven't done it yet but I don't think that could cause a rough idle when cold. Another thought is winter gas having an affect on how the car runs and it being colder in the mornings. Any other suggestions what to check? Car came with a Dinan chip as well.

I forgot to mention I also changed out all the intake hoses, the intake boot, the intake itself, put new intake manifold gaskets in, the WORKS back in September or so. So its not intake leaks, unless it just happened to come up.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian7 View Post
      I forgot to mention I also changed out all the intake hoses, the intake boot, the intake itself, put new intake manifold gaskets in, the WORKS back in September or so. So its not intake leaks, unless it just happened to come up.
      Not convinced until you do a proper smoke test.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
        Not convinced until you do a proper smoke test.
        It idles low if anything. Wouldn't intake leaks cause a high idle?

Comment

Hey Brian, dealing with a similar issue on my 88. Except it's rough idle all the time for me. Had a shop run some diagnostics and I'm 1.5 bar lower than I should be apparently. Replacing the fuel pump seems my best option. I can let you know how that goes

Comment

Have you looked at your plugs to see if they are rich?

Comment

Originally posted by Anfield85 View Post
              Hey Brian, dealing with a similar issue on my 88. Except it's rough idle all the time for me. Had a shop run some diagnostics and I'm 1.5 bar lower than I should be apparently. Replacing the fuel pump seems my best option. I can let you know how that goes
              a new fuel pump aint going to do shit for your problem. the pressure is kept at 3bar (or 2.5bar if youre an eta) by the fuel pressure regulator. cheaper and easier to replace than a fuel pump.

Comment

Well this problem has solved itself it seems Maybe it was a bad tank of gas but its back to idling smooth again. I know the car needs a cap, rotor, plugs and wires though so thats my next project I need to save up for.

Comment

Working...
                X