M60 5sp shifter carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60 5sp shifter carrier

Has anyone found a good candidate for a shifter carrier for a 5sp? I have my motor in the furthest forward position away from the firewall. I found that a e46 shift selector is the right length. But the e30 carrier is too short and I would rather shorten than length. I haven't been able to get anyone to give me measurements of other carriers.
    We're in deep now boys
    1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
    1988 340iL - Track car
    My M60 V8 swap thread here
    [oo==OO==oo]

Why not shorten the one made for that trans (e34 530i)? That's all I did.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
      Why not shorten the one made for that trans (e34 530i)? That's all I did.
      Ok thats kinda the info im looking for. The e30 carrier is too short, so i would have to extend it, which seems harder. I'm looking for a longer one. I will try the e34 530i carrier and shorten that.
      We're in deep now boys
      1988 340iL - Track car
      [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Great news, the 530i part is NLA everywhere.
        Anyone selling one?
        We're in deep now boys
        1988 340iL - Track car
        [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

You could buy an e34 m20/m50 carrier. The back of the trans will be at nearly the same spot as a 530i, they're probably within an inch of each other in length. They're $100 though, so unless you're on a high budget build, I'd just go used.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

How about the "poor man" DTM shifter? It's where you take the early model sheet metal console and mount it directly to the trans tunnel, eliminating the need for the carrier. Here's the old write-up I saved that used to be posted somewhere:

Your car has the mounting points already. It mounts where part of the Automatic shifter mounts, and the rear mounts on the stud that holds the center console. I can't think of any downsides... I mean, this is how some of the DTM cars did it. I was even able to install the selector rod from inside the car, since there's no carrier in the way

You've gotta have stiff/solid engine and tranny mounts or else the shifter will move around under hard braking/turning/acceleration.

Buy 1 upper ball cup, 2 lower ball cups and sand one of the two lower cups down in order to fit all 3 in the metal console and lock with the circlip. Cut the upper ball cup with a sharp blade and slip on the shift lever. Replaced all worn out hardware and enjoy !

Lock Ring 06/1986 23411466112
            BALL CUP LOWER 25111207744
            BALL CUP UPPER 23411466110
            Lock Ring 23411466112

The picture isn't mine, it used to be floating around the internet, but it gives an idea how it's supposed to work. 36Brua has this setup in his car and it shifts nicely without being difficult for a daily driver.
            Attached Files

Comment

^^^ Thanks for posting Mtech325

I did this install when I went to the V8. Throw away the early shifter/spring, cut up an early metal shift carrier. I just used a cut off wheel and dressed with grinder/file, used parts listed above. I think (?) I have an X5 shifter (taller) in car now. solid condor eng mnts, stk e21 trans mnt w/ AKG cups.
              I did drill new mounting holes bolted it down.
              Set shifter position, measure length of shift rod- joint on trans, cut/weld install.
              Totally eliminates the aluminum carrier. A bit notchy but direct.
              My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Hm I do have an early shifter plate.
                Ive already bought a nice garagistic rear bushing thing, but thats not a big deal.
                Can this be done without removing the carpet? Im also running 95A mounts so that should be ok
                We're in deep now boys
                1988 340iL - Track car
                [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
                  Hm I do have an early shifter plate.
                  Ive already bought a nice garagistic rear bushing thing, but thats not a big deal.
                  Can this be done without removing the carpet? Im also running 95A mounts so that should be ok
                  Yes. Remove console, pull carpet back. You can reuse the rubber shift boot w/ modification to seal between tunnel and carrier
                  My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Just did this today, no need to remove carpet. Funny, the carpet on my car under the center console seemed like it was already pre-cut in big enough shape to accommodate this mod.

I just need to now do some research on what shifter to get, I think something with a longer lower section below the ball would be good since the ball of the shifter is now higher in the transmission tunnel vs stock location.,

What are you guys using that work w/o any problems? I've used a z3 shifter before , but not in this configuration.,
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I have a Z3 1.9 shifter in my iX. iX owners have to be careful because a shifter that's too long will hit the T-case.

The Z3 M-Coupe shifter (and maybe the Z3 M Roadster too?) shifter is extremely long below the ball and would work well with this mod, possibly even in an iX.

Comment

Yeah, thinking Z3M is probably the way to go or maybe E60 545i ?

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

My plan is to use a Z3 1.9 lever, a e46 325i selector shaft, and ive already chopped up a sheet metal carrier as a body mount carrier.
                          We're in deep now boys
                          1988 340iL - Track car
                          [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Cool! I actually found my old shifter , but don't know if it's from my old e34 525i or if it's my z3 1.9 shifter from my e30.... I did order a new Z3 2.8/3 shifter today from Blunt so I'll compare them and see what works better.

Comment

Working...
                            X