No announcement yet.

Why are Bilstein Sports so ROUGH!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saw the old thread on this and he had the same problem. Can someone confirm that it's not supposed to tighten all the way in?

Comment

Anyone else make the switch that can comment on the ride difference?
      Zelig the Zinno • 300k and counting
      http://instagram.com/zelig.the.zinno

Comment

I've been driving for awhile on the Konis now and it's definitely an improvement. Not harsh, but still firm.

As others said, manhole covers, cracks and raised bumps in the road are no longer making me clench up. I've got the frt set at 1/2 turn along with the rear. Strut bar does make it difficult to adjust front struts. Found it's just easier to remove it since once you're dialed in it's not an issue any longer. Unless your strut bar is different from mine of course.

Did a Z3 steering rack upgrade at the same time...should've done that a long time ago too.

Comment

Bilstein street struts with lowering springs??

Dear Forum:

This year, I put new shocks/struts and sway bars in my '87 325is. I have used Eibach springs on an E21 and had fantastic results. But the air dam on my 325is hangs pretty low and is going to get hung up on curbs if I lower the car ( I just repainted it and want to keep it pretty).

Unfortunately, the car doesn't handle all that well with the stock springs. I didn't buy the sport Bilsteins, but the best street grade shocks/struts. Is there any reason why I shouldn't put lower springs on the street struts?

One last thing...Can I rant and complain?? I purchased ST sway bars for my car and want to rip on the people who make them. My rear sway bar wasn't properly shaped. The right end of the bar sits too close to the spring to use the half-assed end link system that they provide. I contacted ST for help and they couldn't have cared less. I had to fabricate my own end links, which was not that hard....but why should I have to?

Steve L

Comment

I noticed a noise coming from the rear pass side last night and when I got under the car I found the black rubber bumpstop wedged between the top and bottom of the shock. Checked the left side and that one was MIA.

I'm gonna just run without them, but wondered if anyone else experienced this?

Comment

Was looking to get H&R sport springs with koni adjustables or h&r touring cup kit. Both seem to lower the car the about the same amount. Car will be daily but you know occasionally spirited drive. Anyone have experience with either. Is the koni adjustbles worth the extra fiddling with adjustments?

Comment

If you're doing any street driving on less than glass smooth roads, YES.
                I've had billie sports and koni sa. Still on konis.

Comment

I'm glad this thread got bumped. I was JUST about to pull the trigger on Bilstein B8's but now I'm having second thoughts. Obviously up here in Canada most of our roads are not glass smooth, but my E30 is only a summer / weekend fun car and not daily driven.

I looked on Tire Rack and they have Koni's on special now too. So I think now I am going to go Koni's with H&R super sports. Thoughts? My 318is is bone stock with the original OEM shocks and springs...well beyond blown to say the least.
                  Steve • Toronto
                  1991 318is • Brillantrot
                  Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                    I'm glad this thread got bumped. I was JUST about to pull the trigger on Bilstein B8's but now I'm having second thoughts. Obviously up here in Canada most of our roads are not glass smooth, but my E30 is only a summer / weekend fun car and not daily driven.

I looked on Tire Rack and they have Koni's on special now too. So I think now I am going to go Koni's with H&R super sports. Thoughts? My 318is is bone stock with the original OEM shocks and springs...well beyond blown to say the least.

I have billy sports and h&r super sports. Its a great ride not sure they are "rough" maybe im just to young and not used to the floaty ride you get from a Cadillac

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I made the Koni switch on my cabrio after I dont know how many cars w BS Sports and the difference is night and day. Zero loss of handling once they are dialed in and zero bone shaking over bumps.

Bye bye BS
                      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                      Alice the Time Capsule
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

FWIW my lightweight (2800 lb.) cabrio has M3 rear springs and H&R sports up front. I was running KYB gas front and rear but found that the KYB's didn't have enough rebound dampening as the front end would bounce a bit too much with certain bumps. I replaced the fronts with Koni and have them now adjusted to about 1 1/2 turns stiffness. It feels much better and controlled than the KYBs. I am not sure about the Bilsteins but I like the Koni's in my application.

My car is a summer weekend car and the roads suck in many places I drive.
                        Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by kidneylover View Post
                          Was looking to get H&R sport springs with koni adjustables or h&r touring cup kit. Both seem to lower the car the about the same amount. Car will be daily but you know occasionally spirited drive. Anyone have experience with either. Is the koni adjustbles worth the extra fiddling with adjustments?
                          H&R Sports + Koni SAs is arguably the best static setup you can put on a DD. That's what I have on Klaus and I could easily daily that car if I had to. There's very little fiddling. Unless you're a suspension nerd, set them in the middle (of the 5, I believe) settings and off you go.
                          Originally posted by kronus
                          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I replaced the worn out Bilstein front shocks a short time ago with Koni SA .My car is an ES which I believe has stiffer springs than the standard ETA.I have adjusted the shocks several times but you can feel every small part of the road and the interior has noises in the sunroof ,seat and else ware ,annoying wiggles and jiggles.MY worn out shock less standard ETA car rides smoother than this with none of these issues .I am now thinking to change the springs in the ES to stock ETA type to see if this will solve these issues ,any other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post

I think you'll be very happy with your choice. Switched from Bilstein/H&R Sports on my 325is and am wishing I'd made the switch long ago.

Comment

If you run the Bilsteins too low, they are very harsh because of the internal bump stop.

My wife's iX with shortened front bump stops is positively gooshy on Bilsteins.
                                2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                                2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                                1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                                Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X