Review: UUC Big Brake Kit for E30 - 4 Lug Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review: UUC Big Brake Kit for E30 - 4 Lug Version

Greetings fellow E30 enthusiasts! I want to start this review stating that I consider my review biased. I am friends with many at UUC. I am a long time repeat customer(over 7 years) and I have not to this point had a problem with any of their products. With that said there review is going to be overall positive but there are some things that are not positive. Constructive criticism if you will of the install, parts and the time frame for receiving them.

Parts Quality:

Pros - Everything seems to be of very nice quality. The machine work, fitment and everything is stellar. Top quality here IMO. I am not expert on metals, fasteners and the like but there is nothing to complain about the quality of the UUC parts. Very happy to open up all the boxes and get this type of stuff.

Cons - The power coat ran over some parts of the passenger side caliper. UUC's fault directly? I don't believe so as they don't have a powder coating setup that I have ever seen. The problem? Getting the line to go into the caliper was a massive pain. There was PC down in the threads and overhanging the top thread. So I had to use my Snap-On right angle pick to work it out. It was frustrating because the PC isn't supposed to come off... that is the point. Not a huge deal in the end.

Installation:

Pros - Straight forward. Decent guide. No real problem here. Everything went together without much hassle. Hard to really put up a long winded pro remark here because it simply just installed.

Cons - This is not really a con but a recommendation for UUC to add to the install guide. Since you are installing machined parts with machine bolts attaching the rotor to the hub can be a bear. They line up nicely and you have to work them into their 'home' in a star pattern. The problem is that even though they start nicely it feels like you are having to provide a decent amount of pressure... and you are. Well just even pressure and make sure you aren't stripping it. Don't get frustrated. Work at it with a level head and even pressure. A little note stating this would help those that are not 'mechanics' IMO.

Fitment:

Pros - It fits. Everything threads, bolts and installs how it should.

Cons - I don't know if this is an issue with my setup or with UUC's brake lines. I run a 16x8 et20 wheel with a 225.45.16 tire. Obviously at some point of hard driving the wheel contacted the line. The outer blue 'rubber' is rubbed down slightly. The fix? A little extra padding of some type of loosening the lines and twisting them so they bend more 'inward' towards the strut assembly. Just something to watch out for. The lines are pretty long so it is something to watch out for. Again... a little note on line placement would be a good addition IMO(Or maybe I missed it in the guide!)

Performance:

Pros - Very enjoyable. World's better feel than stock. Now of course the pads installed(DTC30 Front HP+(stock sized) rear) the feel is better. With that said the overall bite and feel is just plain and simple better than stock. I have had a full set of HP+ installed in a brand new stock/bled system. This is better.

The main thing noticed though is you can drive longer and harder than with the stock setup. With performance pads(street performance) and also Axxis Ultimates(garbage) I could easily fade the system in North Ga Mountains. Like... faded dead faded. Using this system with this pad choice it stops when they are dead cold. It stops when they are very hot. Not a single issue in terms of performance on long drives. This includes one drive through the dragon, U-Turn and right back into it. 22 miles of curves... love them.

Cost:

Pros - The pros for cost come in when they need service. Replacement rotors are cheap. Replacement pads are 50%(or possible less) than the equal pad to put into the stock brake caliper. It won't take long if you track the car to make up the cost.

Cons - It is expensive to get started with the kit. I will admit that. Unless you are buying a built 24V swap car the brakes cost is going to be 25, 30 or more percent of the value of the car. Is that worth it? It depends on your use IMO. For me? I drive it almost daily. I got drive mountain raods. I will track it. Worth it? Yes.

Overall:

Pros - I am extremely happy with them. Rob answered all my questions before purchase, during install and post install. Cannot say enough about the service I received with this product. I even had a problem post install and hard driving and I got the 'bring it over and we will look at it'. No cost. Problem fixed(see below in cons). Great service. Great product(s). Great people.

Cons - First off DTC30 dust like mad. So you have to clean the wheels a lot. Be prepared! Go with something else for the street if you don't wanna clean your wheels. Track pads dust... and if left will ruin your wheels.

This is not really an issue with the product. I hope Rob will jump in and fully explained what happened because I honestly don't know how exactly things happened but I got a 'dragging' noise while camping/dragon/skyway weekend. It sounded like air trapped in the caliper was heating up, increasing pressure and dragging the brakes. I took it apart multiple times while camping and the brakes worked. Just made noise and only on the passenger front.

Drop it at UUC and somehow the inside pad had pulled outwards towards the retaining clip/bolt. Now it was rubbing ans thus causing noise. When it cooled down and everything wasn't expanded the noise went away. As said it was dropped off after I ID'd the problem in my garage. Rob and Matt took care of it. I went out and beat on it and they are as new. No noise. WooT!

In the end I recommend the product. I love having them. Get compliments at every meet I have intended. One reviewer(local e30 friend) said after a hard 1, 2 and 3rd gear pull(M52 OBD1) "Damn. I was thinking we are gaining on that merc really fast and fuck we stopped".

So get some UUC brakes. I love them. I bet you will too... little candy to sweeten the deal.

Halston, we're very happy you are pleased with the UUC brake kit!

To add some details to the dragging noise you heard, the problem was simply one of the anti-rattle clips on either side of the pad. Whether it was not snapped in correctly during initial assembly, or got pried forward a little during installation, there's no way to tell.

Anyway, the solution was really very simple; we pulled out the pad, snapped the clip into the correct position, and put the pad back in. The sound you heard was the clip itself contacting the rotor disc.

For those looking for less dust than the DTC-30 pad, we offer the DTC-05 compound which is a ceramic-based material very similar to the Hawk Performance Ceramic. This pad performs as expected of a ceramic compound, extremely light dust (the lightest you will see of any pad), no squeaks or other sounds, and very long-lasting. While the response is not as sharp as the semi-race DTC-30 pad, it is still an excellent performer and I expect would also not have faded on your mountain run.
    - Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks * 678-679-5360 * http://www.uucmotorwerks.com * rob@shortshifter.com
    Phone calls preferred. Email second. No PMs, that's why I have real email. :mrgreen:

BIG BRAKE KIT HEADQUARTERS!

Your source for E30 Ultimate Shifters, SwayBars, Brake parts/Big Brake Kits, and much more!

First ever LED headlight conversion - [ CLICK HERE ]

Comment

Well there you go. Thanks Rob! Next time I come by maybe you can show me in person so I am aware of the proper installation when I swap pads at the track :)

Comment

Ever think of doing anything for the e30 M3s? I need clampers that are capable of doing battle with the s50b32!
        1991 318iS
        1992 911
        2006 330i 6-Spd ZSP people hauler

Gone:
        1989 M3 S50B32, 6-Spd
        1990 325ix 5-Spd

Comment

Track use review...

I am using them with with DTC-60's for my dedicated track car. I tried them out for the first time today at Carolina Motorsports Park. Initial reaction... simply awesome. I used to run stock calipers and PFC pads and it is a world of difference now. I had to change my braking zones completely because of these. I now brake less and have a lot of confidence in my braking so I am able to go much deeper into turns. I no longer get any brake fade and despite paying more for the brakes than I did the car itself, I am very satisfied with the purchase.
          Here a lap from my last session of the day. The track was extremely hot and my tires were letting go, but you can get a general idea of how well the brakes worked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8nLMycLhbc
          John

2013 NASA-SE TTE Champion

Tracks driven: AMP, Barber, CMP, CMS (Lowe's), Daytona, NCCAR, Road Atlanta, Rockingham, RRR, Sebring, Texas World Speedway, VIR (Full, Grand, South, North, & Patriot), Watkins Glen.

Comment

awesome video. what setup are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by xphiledan View Post
              awesome video. what setup are you running?
              Thanks. I took a couple of people for rides today at the track and they were very impressed with the braking capability.
              Set up - exhaust, 4.10, springs, BBK, and street tires (moving to NT01's next).
              Last edited by TrackjunkiE30; 06-20-2010, 05:35 PM.
              John

Tracks driven: AMP, Barber, CMP, CMS (Lowe's), Daytona, NCCAR, Road Atlanta, Rockingham, RRR, Sebring, Texas World Speedway, VIR (Full, Grand, South, North, & Patriot), Watkins Glen.

Comment

Thanks for adding more info. Auto-X plus some extensive 'hard driving' on some roads up and around US129.... I can't WAIT for the track.

Comment

Any updates on this after track useage ?
                  E30 M30B34 Mounts Available
                  Email jharb79@gmail.com

Comment

I Auto-X it. I don't track in the summer. September I have review :)

Comment

Originally posted by QBANG View Post
                      Any updates on this after track useage ?
                      I was on track again this past weekend at VIR where it was over 100 degrees. Brakes held up great again... which is more than I can say for my tires. (Note - I am running cooling ducts)
                      John

Comment

TrackJunk,
                        Thats good to hear, I have the same pads on order. What tires where you running?

Also how long did you guys have to wait on your kits....... Its been three weeks so far. They keep telling me it will ship "Thursday".
                        E30 M30B34 Mounts Available
                        Email jharb79@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by QBANG View Post
                          TrackJunk,
                          Thats good to hear, I have the same pads on order. What tires where you running?

Also how long did you guys have to wait on your kits....... Its been three weeks so far. They keep telling me it will ship "Thursday".
                          Was running Nitto street tires, but just picked up a few sets of R888's & RA1's. I will be on track again in a few weeks at the Glen to try out the combo.

As far as the wait... that was the only not-so-great part of the whole thing. I was also told a few different dates and had to constantly follow up with them to see when they would actually ship.
                          John

Comment

Anyone know what part # the floating rotors are? New season is only a few weeks away!

Thanks
                            John

Comment

Originally posted by TrackjunkiE30 View Post
                              Anyone know what part # the floating rotors are? New season is only a few weeks away!

Thanks
                              Can you just call rob and ask him.

Comment

Working...
                              X