M42 Timing chain guide rails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Timing chain guide rails

Im in the middle of a rebuild, engine has 150k miles.

I opened up the timing case and the sprockets look good. Teeth do not look worn, etc.

However, 2 of the chain guide rails are a bit worn, one has a lot of microfractures and likely needs to be replaced.

Here are photos of the 2.

The timing tensioner rail looks mostly ok. It has 2 worn stripes down the middle and a small patch of microfractures, however, the other timing guide rail likely needs to be replaced.

The problem is, I cant find these parts at a reasonable rate anywhere. I'd be spending $300 for both of these together, which is literally a third of what I've spent on this project. For plastic rails.

Bavauto, pelicanparts, ECStuning are all no help. There has to be an OEM-like make for these... right?

I did note the guide rail has 2 part numbers, 1 is significantly lower cost.
    11311247470 - $65
    11311247483 - $200+

If I were to replace the entire timing case, I'd be looking at easily $750 worth of parts, or the cost of the entire engine.
    Last edited by jaredmac11; 10-07-2016, 01:29 PM.

Contact Blunttech - steve@blunttech.com.

He can advise you on the best route to go.
    Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

That's just kinda the way it is with M42s. Why these parts are so expensive, I don't know.

Comment

I spent about $700 for all new timing components and gaskets for my M42 build. Through FCP euro. The timing components are not cheap for these emgines
        '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
        '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

M42s are just expensive engines, the more complex engines get the more expensive they are to refresh. Try pricing out a full rebuild for M42 vs M20, BTDT, you could build a 2.8 stroker M20 for the cost of a stock M42.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
            M42s are just expensive engines, the more complex engines get the more expensive they are to refresh. Try pricing out a full rebuild for M42 vs M20, BTDT, you could build a 2.8 stroker M20 for the cost of a stock M42.
            It has been more expensive than I originally thought, unfortunately. I figured 4 cylinders 1/3 less in costs but since all of these timing components are pretty dang expensive and blow my budget up.

Comment

I think it's partly because they really didn't sell many M42's. I haven't found any
              aftermarket timing parts either. $200 for the E36 slider? That just... burns...

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Does anyone know if we can use the m44 timing chain guide in our m42? Pelican parts lists the m42 guide at $240 dollars and it's supposed to work with 96-99
                Z3 1.9l m44. Rockauto.com has an identical timing guide for a z3 1.9l for $69. Only slight difference is the upper bolt.

Comment

Yes, you can. I did. You need to get the bolts and spacer/cylinder for the corresponding rail but they work. Just hop on to RealOEM.

$69!? I wish I had that option when I bought mine. Nearly paid double and I thought I was getting a deal. Its a damn ripoff how much these rails are.

Edit: Just to note, I have the LATE M42 timing case, which is different than your early but Im fairly sure you can. It should be the same, but caveat emptor. Since I didnt do it for the early, I cant 100% verify but its the same part numbers and everything for both rails on the early and late models.
                  Last edited by jaredmac11; 07-24-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Just want to confirm. My buddy and I successfully replaced the m42 timing rail (metal & plastic) with the beck arnley z3 1.9 year #0241997(plastic). Everything lined up perfect and his car is now running quiet and smooth again. Note two things, Z3 rail is more beefy, & it Was missing the set screw which is the cylindrical adjuster with two notches on the surface facing forward. If you're not sure what I'm referring to look up the most current (and most expensive) rail. The "set screw" comes on the $248 dollar part. Rock auto has the best price @ $69.99 but you will need to get that adjuster from Bmw (can't find the pn). Napa is the next best price @ $138 for the older part number : 1131173447. Hope this helps! Cheers-

Comment

I just spent 1200 on doing a cooling system and timing system. Its not cheap but OE parts are the way to go

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Interesting info here: With oem parts you know you are getting another 150k out of the engine, but are there really that many catastrophic m42 engine failures due to timing components?

I suppose most cars are probably junked when it happens rather than reported and repaired.
                        318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                          Interesting info here: With oem parts you know you are getting another 150k out of the engine, but are there really that many catastrophic m42 engine failures due to timing components?

I suppose most cars are probably junked when it happens rather than reported and repaired.
                          I know three people it has happened to personally......and i don't know that many people with e30s
                          i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

...but are there really that many catastrophic m42 engine failures due to timing components?
                            Yes. It happened to me. The stupid deflector sprocket snapped off of the timing case. The casting must have cracked when the original sprocket blew its bearing, but I did not notice, so I wasted $160 on a new sprocket only to have the engine take a dump on me a year later.

At this point, my recommendation to ALL E30 M42 owners is to swap in the 1994-1995 M42 timing case. It eliminates the costly and failure-prone deflector sprocket for a plastic guide. The late M42 timing case is more or less a direct bolt-in. Just check RealOEM for the late E36 M42 for the proper gaskets and such since (at least) the case-to-block gasket differs. While you are doing it, also replace all of the oil pressure relief valve parts (spring, plunger, etc) since the original E30 design was also prone to major failures, and an updated set of parts was issued in the E36. That right there takes care of 2 out of 3 of the M42's most common faults.

The 3rd fault is the half-shell thrust bearing on the crank. Basically, never ever start your car with the clutch pedal pressed down because you are putting 300lbs+ of force onto that small thrust face with zero oil pressure. The ideal fix is to install two thrust shells for full 360 degree coverage, but that is a major project in itself.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

are there really that many catastrophic m42 engine failures due to timing components?
                              Yes. The bottom end is pretty strong, but sprocket failures, idler failures, rails falling apart, all pretty common if you read around. Usually it makes a bunch of noise before it eats itself.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              [CoTM: 4-18]
                              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                              - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
                              X