how's the Bend car scene?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how's the Bend car scene?

First off, don't hate. I know they don't like Californians moving in, but...

I'm a Nor Cal guy looking to relocate somewhere more affordable and less restrictive. I've heard lots of good things about Bend. I've never been there, a couple of other places in Oregon, but not there yet.
    A little about me: I'm 39. Single, no kids. Work for Trader Joe's. I've been wrenching my whole adult life. Never professionally, just a dedicated hobbyist. I've had mostly American hot rods and a couple Japanese cars.
    Ever since I got my e30 I've been more and more into vintage German cars. I've been getting into shooting recently. Got a couple rifles and a pistol. California sucks for gun laws. Starting next year there's going to be a waiting period for ammo! And you have to register it!! WTF?!?!

I just want to ask some locals what the car scene is like. I have an e30 that I do track days and occasional autoX with. It's basically spec e30, but with a splash of lemons. What kind of track activities are around? I know there's PIR. Maybe I could look into rally? I wouldn't be opposed. There must be tons of good mountain roads?
    Are there any meet ups? Clubs?
    How about the winter? Do they salt the roads? From what I understand it's not too crazy there. My daily is a bugeye wrx which is a great winter car.

You guys should see the housing costs here in Santa Cruz. $2000 for a small two bedroom apt?!? No garage, maybe a small yard. And the competition.
    So many people, so few available units. Everybody is constantly stressed about housing. Except the old time locals who don't care. And the newly rich tech guys who are making it hard for everyone else.
    I'm pretty lucky right now to have a place with off street parking and a little space to wrench.
    The car scene if pretty good down here. Laguna Seca is less than an hour away, Sonoma is about two, Thunderhill and Buttonwillow aren't too far. Monterey car week is soon, which is absolutely nuts. If you've never been, put it on your bucket list.

Let me know. If I end up in the area, what can I expect?

Trucks. Jeeps. FJ Cruisers.
    1999 M Coupe
    2014 X1 xDrive35i
    2000 P38A HSE
    1989 Lachs 4 Door
    Instagram: MCoupeKim

Comment

yep

bend is shit, hot all summer, freezing all winter, the few times i visited, all i saw was dust and tumbleweed

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

There's a big autoX scene in eugene area. As far as bend goes I hope you like skis and beer. And hipsters as well as tourists.
        1999 M Coupe
        2014 X1 xDrive35i
        2000 P38A HSE
        1989 Lachs 4 Door
        Instagram: MCoupeKim

Comment

Originally posted by hot carl View Post
          You guys should see the housing costs here in Santa Cruz. $2000 for a small two bedroom apt?!? No garage, maybe a small yard.
          its like this in Vancouver, and Portland now, because you guys are moving here.

Ive seen 2 bedrooms as much as 2500$ or so

Comment

Persona non grata so tired of seeing Cali plates in Oregon... Bend is Good for beer and snowboarding
            Originally posted by bmwm42
            PNW vulture pm me for parts
            Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Originally posted by hot carl View Post
              I'm 39. Single, no kids. Work for Trader Joe's.
              Maybe you'd fit in LaPine.

Why not Texas, it's cheap to live there, more car friendly, and sunny.

And there is no car scene up here - Oregon is at war with car owners and refuses to repave roads and will soon be taxing the sh*t out of anything related to it (gas, registration, tollways..etc.)
              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
              2016 Ford Flex
              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Fear of Golden State transplants goes back decades in Oregon, even sparking a tongue-in-cheek -- and yet quite serious -- 1970s zero-population-growth movement called the James G. Blaine Society, one of whose mottos was "Don't Californicate Oregon."
                WTB:m60b40 in PNW
                Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                92 525it 5 speed.
                80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

That story makes me laugh everytime, and the fact it was a Prius makes it even better.. They moved here in February, still have out of state plates, were double parked, blocking the street. So tired of seeing out of state plates on cars that have been here for longer than 30 days. Lazy phucks.
                  1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                  2016 Ford Flex
                  2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I mean listen, im sure your a nice guy. People are just not taking kindly to those moving here from out of state, ie california. I see people driving 100 on the freeway like its no big deal, 90 in construction zones, and id say maybe 8 or 9 / 10 cars i see pulled over on freeways are cali plates, or a tralier that is not packed properly.

There have been multiple lawsuits in washington from rent gouging. I had friends paying 700-800$ a month for a 2 bedroom apt, they got a letter saying because of demand rent was now 1250$ and its due to the influx of out of state residents moving here, so they had to move

shit i even had a friend get a rental car keyed in seattle, and most of them have cali plates. if you do end up moving here, keep these things in mind. And do not pretend this is california please

Comment

There's some chick named Tippi' Anne Henderson that murders Californians up there. Fair warning
                      Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                      Q
                      :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

OP, I don't know how you expected this to go, but this thread is the tip of the iceberg.

Prepare for well deserved hate.

Your credentials sound like every other Californian moving here. Remember, every job you take at Trader Joe's takes one away from a local high schooler.

Since it hasn't been said yet:

The PNW is full.
                        Derek-

Comment

Hey Hot Carl, do you really want to be surrounded by all these douche bags?
                          Q

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                            Hey Hot Carl, do you really want to be surrounded by all these douche bags?

Only if we have cleaned out a sex mannequin first.
                            Derek-

Comment

Hey, I mean, if you do get her cleaned out-- I'm down to make the trip up, BUT I go first.
                              Q

Comment

Working...
                              X