My 325iC Body/Paint Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bimmerboy12 View Post
    Thats where the sheets come in... I hang them the whole way around the garage. I will lightly mist them with water and keep the floor wet to absorb the paint mist. I will also have an exhaust fan pulling vapors outside.
    Would have been a lot easier to use plastic but the mist bounces off the plastic and on to your car.
    Would it make sense to use plastic behind the sheets? I may try to tackle this again soon...the first time, I failed miserably....LOL...better yet...I'll just pay someone...

Originally posted by e30this View Post
    What color are you spraying it? This much work it would be time for a color change!!
    Schwartz FTW! :)
    BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Originally posted by oekundar View Post
      Would it make sense to use plastic behind the sheets? I may try to tackle this again soon...the first time, I failed miserably....LOL...better yet...I'll just pay someone...

I see what your saying, plastic behind for the smell... I don't think it will be an issue though. I've painted a couple cars and the biggest concern is the dust that settles on everything.

I'm painting original color: zinnoberrot. LOTS more work to change the color- door jams, engine bay, etc. and then when you look behind the trunk liner, carpet, dash you see a different color which isn't too attractive to me...

1988 325iC Project - FINISHED!
      Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ht=325iC+paint

Comment

You should do diamond schwartz.. There are so many black cars its crazy. Do something different. :)

Comment

OK, need a bit of help from you guys. Im getting ready to paint the black rockers and i need you to check out your car and tell me what sheen it is... flat, eggshell, satin, semi-gloss??? I have been doing everything else in flat as it matches factory sheen perfectly (it has a bit of reflection to it, its not like primer flat). I don't want anything to shiny cause the jack point bumps will be more noticeable. lemme know thanks

Comment

UPDATE: Have the whole car done in 80 grit, 150 grit under power tomorrow, then 320 wet, then primer, then 600 wet, then ready to paint.

Pretty much all masked off now. I did it so i can still open my doors too.

Don't worry, that cabby trunk lid is gone. have a coupe lid already in primer...in background.

Comment

Looking good...I'm looking forward to see what the paint looks like...way to document!
              BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Good write-up. I can't wait to see the finished product.

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

You should do 80, 120, 220 then primer, block it out with 320, then sealer primer, wet sand it with 400, then sealer primer then paint. Your gonna kick yourself in the ass when them scratches come though the paint.
                  Since your changing color you should pull apart everything that you can. Like pull that trunk light off, push the fuel filler neck out of the way, Pull the front window and seals out. 90% of a paint job is prep. :)
                  Last edited by e30this; 08-01-2009, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerboy12 View Post
                    I see what your saying, plastic behind for the smell... I don't think it will be an issue though. I've painted a couple cars and the biggest concern is the dust that settles on everything.

I'm painting original color: zinnoberrot. LOTS more work to change the color- door jams, engine bay, etc. and then when you look behind the trunk liner, carpet, dash you see a different color which isn't too attractive to me...
                    Originally posted by e30this View Post
                    You should do 80, 120, 220 then primer, block it out with 320, then sealer primer, then block it out with 400, then sealer primer then paint. Your gonna kick yourself in the ass when them scratches come though the paint.
                    Since your changing color you should pull apart everything that you can. Like pull that trunk light off, push the fuel filler neck out of the way, Pull the front window and seals out. 90% of a paint job is prep. :)
                    1993 325ic Schwarz/Natur
                    1991 318is Black/Black - Slicktop - Project s52
                    1989 Alpine White/Black M3 S52
                    1988 Henna/Pearl M3 <3

Comment

Originally posted by dannyg View Post
                      Just before that he said he ways spraying it black. So right back at ya.

Comment

Originally posted by oekundar View Post

Different person?
                        1993 325ic Schwarz/Natur
                        1991 318is Black/Black - Slicktop - Project s52
                        1989 Alpine White/Black M3 S52
                        1988 Henna/Pearl M3 <3

Comment

Originally posted by dannyg View Post
                          Different person?

AHHAHA WTF!! What was I thinking.. God it must have been super late last night..

Comment

Thanks for the advice on the sandpaper, I will take any input I can get. Like I said, the cabby trunk lid is gone and I already have a coupe lid in primer.
                            I am assuming when you say "block it out" you mean use a soft sponge block. Would you do the 400 wet?

Comment

Not sure what paint on those trim clips is gonna do. Might make it hard for the trim to reclip in.

I would love to do this someday. Have you used that compressor setup on the previous cars? I'd be worried about trapping water and to do that you need a long run before the filter. Will that Craftsman put out the CFM you need?
                              89 325is track project / 05 x5 / 99 M3
                              E30 stuff for sale | Parts I'm looking for

Comment

Originally posted by bmwpower View Post
                                Not sure what paint on those trim clips is gonna do. Might make it hard for the trim to reclip in.

I would love to do this someday. Have you used that compressor setup on the previous cars? I'd be worried about trapping water and to do that you need a long run before the filter. Will that Craftsman put out the CFM you need?
                                I painted two other cars, first was a 74 fiat spyder and it was when I was like 17 and it was kinda OK. I used a 5 hp 20 gal and no filters. The second was my 85 318i and used the same compressor no filters, had fisheyes on the hood and drained the tank of water resprayed and it was ok. Now I have 6.5 hp 30 gal with 20 ft before the filter and 50 ft after. The filter is a $40 bronze cyclone type filter. I have to empty it of a couple cups of water everyday. I think I'll be ok. I don't have a downdraft paint booth with top notch shit, so it won't be a show paint job. It will be good enough for a $6K car though. Using a Binks model 62 bottom load.
                                Last edited by bimmerboy12; 08-01-2009, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X