This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awesome thread

informative, been reading and makes me want to work on my eta right now haha

I'm in the process of getting a complete 89 325iC from someone for my 84 325eta. I know it was mentioned here that everything is pretty much swap i parts to e with NO machining or custom pistons (unless you want to) needed right? I also saw that bolting a stock i head to eta block will be a low CR, which is fine because i plan to turbo the car later down the road BUT it will cause the car to have rough idle and hard start.

Would buying a chip fix this issue? I'm trying to avoid any machining work because I don't have access to one and I know they can be pricey but IF i do, what part specifically and what machining needs to be done? and if so, how much you reckon it would cost? Thanks

Comment

I have a 'low compression' 2.7i (stock 2.7 bottom end with 885 head) with a BimmerHeads regrind cam and sssquid 2.7i 93 octane chip.

The car starts and idles fine in all but the coldest weather ( < 0° Fahrenheit).

I suspect the stories of it running rough or being hard to start are due to intake leaks, not the slightly lowered compression.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
        I have a 'low compression' 2.7i (stock 2.7 bottom end with 885 head) with a BimmerHeads regrind cam and sssquid 2.7i 93 octane chip.

The car starts and idles fine in all but the coldest weather ( < 0° Fahrenheit).

I suspect the stories of it running rough or being hard to start are due to intake leaks, not the slightly lowered compression.
        Is the regrind necessary? How much did that cost? How you like sssquid? Better than markd? Cheaper too

Comment

The cam is not necessary, but man is it fun!

I bought a rebuilt 885 head with cam, adjustable timing gear, and chip, all at once from BimmerHeads. I don't recall the price, but it was a great deal all things considered.

I can't speak for the mark d tune, as one never experienced it, but I will say am happy with the sssquid tune.

Comment

I bought a rebuilt 885 head with cam, adjustable timing gear, and chip, all at once from BimmerHeads. I don't recall the price, but it was a great deal all things considered.

I can't speak for the mark d tune, as one never experienced it, but I will say am happy with the sssquid tune.
            Thanks for clearing up my concerns :up:

Now i just need to pick up this 325i parts car and get to workin :) maybe i'll consider rebuilding the head and anything else before i do the swap.

Comment

Originally posted by pspryu101 View Post
              Is the regrind necessary? How much did that cost? How you like sssquid? Better than markd? Cheaper too
              I love my 280/274 dual regrind from BimmerHeads!

:up:

Comment

Yeah yeah, excited to be starting my swap soon! 12/85 eta bottom end, 2.5i everything else

- M50 17lb injectors: y/n
                - DME: is the stock 325i chip useable, or is a 2.7i chip imperative? Motronic 1.3
                - block deck: cleaning advice?

1986 327i
                transaction feedback
                DIY thing
                meh

Comment

stock is usable, but a correct tune will help with every aspect of your build, from idle to mpg.

Comment

definitely go with a custom chip to fit your tune. tell them what injectors you have, pistons (flat top) what AFM your using etc. ^squidmaster has some great tunes and prices, and also extremely helpful

Comment

Thinkin about the injectors also. Planning on FI later down the road if funds permit so probably a good idea to up the lbs already but then again i'm probably going to be limited to 10psi max if i did. (Maybe haha)

Definitely clean and rebuild 885 head before slappin it on might be a good idea. Idk how hard it would be to semi clean the block without pullin it out the shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

sorry its off topic but can anyone tell me what these wires are for or what they connect to on the link below,

Comment

So what should I really need If I have 1985 e28 with ETA engine? All the same parts that are listed in needed and optional in the first page?

Comment

Thinking of using 17lb or 19lb injectors for the 2.7i conversion. Or stick with a rebuilt i stock injectors? What do you guys think?

Comment

The 17lb and 19lb both offer better spray patterns and fuel dispersal. The plastic body 19lb injectors are usually the go-to for upgrades, since they are generally newer, easier to rebuild, and tend to work a little better. Though I will say I've never bought a bad M50 injector, whereas I have gotten a couple duds from the Ford 19lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
                                The 17lb and 19lb both offer better spray patterns and fuel dispersal. The plastic body 19lb injectors are usually the go-to for upgrades, since they are generally newer, easier to rebuild, and tend to work a little better. Though I will say I've never bought a bad M50 injector, whereas I have gotten a couple duds from the Ford 19lbs.
                                I see. I'm planning on FI later down the road and going 19s now would probably be a good idea and maybe move up few later. What part number am i looking for? It's just there's a bunch of them out there with same yellow top but part # will ID it.

On a side note, i know running 19lbers will cause tune issues with stock DME, do you support a chip for this application? So far injectors are the only ones i'm planning on replacing over stock with the 2.7i conversion.

Comment

Working...
                                X