Has anyone installe a headliner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone installe a headliner?

One of the first things that caught my attention when I got this car was that there was not headliner...My old 1989 VW Cabriolet had headliner with insulation from factory, so I thought that it was just missing.

Then I realized that these cars were not fitted with headliners, which is really strange to me being a "high end" car. Having had a convertible with headliner for the last 12 years, I can clearly tell the difference in noise and temperature inside the cabin, it helps the A/C and heater work much efficiently. BMW definitely cheaped out on this one.

Having said that, is there a source to buy aftermarket headliners for the e30? Or has somebody had a headliner made for it?

JC
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
    -Mario Andretti.

1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.

Hey I did a tonne of searching when I replaced the headliner on my removable hardtop and do not remember coming across any results at all on a convertible top liner install. Sorry for the bad news, JM

Comment

I know e36 verts have a headliner, it would be awesome if someone could replicate one that follows the inner top frame

Comment

Probably would fit fine while the top is up, but folding the top seems like there wouldn't be much room available for a headliner. Would get pinched and torn right away when folded.

Comment

I wounder how the newer cars make it possible with out it getting trashed on the 1st fold down

Comment

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
            I wounder how the newer cars make it possible with out it getting trashed on the 1st fold down
            by taking it into account in the design phase!

My mom has a volvo hardtop c70 and sweet bajeebus does that shit look complicated as fuck when it goes up and down with the headliner. The amount of pulleys and wires is astounding. I wouldn't wish that on anyone without a warranty.

Comment

I have seen pictures of one from years ago, I'll try and track it down
              Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
              A Topless Memorandum

Comment

the way this top folds and collects between the first and second bow, i don't think that it is possible.
                instead, bmw used a higher quality top with a very high quality "inside layer" that you see when looking up while sitting inside the car, to compensate.
                you can identify this by the presence of + signs in the material

this is an expensive option when replacing your top so some convertibles don't have this nice inside layer.

Comment

BMW 3 Series Convertible Tops Manual Tops Information: These include Model E30 convertibles: 325i, 320i and 318i and M3 with MANUAL TOPS Power top replacement tops are on a separate page. Quality: Our factories Robbins and Kee use original patterns

I see ad listed on the website for $225 I do not know if it works but they selling one guys... Someone try it out!

Comment

Working...
                  X