No announcement yet.

Check Engine Light, No Fault Codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just haven't hooked up my vss yet, but I have taken my car all the way up to 7k no problem. I've read it can cut fuel in the upper rpm's, so I'll hook it up soon.

Comment

Can I get a sanity check here...

When the key is turned to ON... the CEL should light up. Does it flash? Or just light up?

When I turn my key to ON, my CEL flashes. Once the car is running, the CEL continues to flash. Does this sound right? Or should the CEL NOT be flashing when the key is turned to ON?

Comment

cel should be solidly lit, not flash.

i remember on my early model, my check( for the over head panel) would flash until i stepped on the brakes to confirm the light circuit was good. does anything happen when you step on the brakes, and to be sure, you are talking about the check engine light at the bottom of the cluster and not the amber check light thats between the tach and speedo?

Comment

I see you posted up a diagram for an Eta. They do not have check engine lights. Is that what your chassis is?

It sounds like mentaleeill nailed it based on the part you highlighted in the posted diagram. Thats telling you the thing above the rearview mirror wants your attention for some silly thing or another.
          -Dave
          2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Not trying to be a dick but....are you sure it's not your check control thats flashing?

Comment

Holy shit.... you mean to tell me that the yellow check light between the speedo and the tach is NOT the CEL?!

For fucks sake.

So yeah on the check control panel I have my Brakes lit up but that goes off once I hit the brakes. My windshield wiper fluid goes on intermittently, and my Oil level light is on, which I was going to investigate after I got the CEL figured out.

So I'm not even looking at the CEL am I?!

/sigh

If you didn't already know this, this is my first E30 and I never even drove it, I went straight to M50 swap. So I don't really know what it's "supposed" to do.

Thanks guys, I will work on clearing all the lights on my Active Check Panel and see if the fucker stops flashing.

Comment

Originally posted by SkorcherX View Post
                Holy shit.... you mean to tell me that the yellow check light between the speedo and the tach is NOT the CEL?!

For fucks sake.

So yeah on the check control panel I have my Brakes lit up but that goes off once I hit the brakes. My windshield wiper fluid goes on intermittently, and my Oil level light is on, which I was going to investigate after I got the CEL figured out.

So I'm not even looking at the CEL am I?!

/sigh

If you didn't already know this, this is my first E30 and I never even drove it, I went straight to M50 swap. So I don't really know what it's "supposed" to do.

Thanks guys, I will work on clearing all the lights on my Active Check Panel and see if the fucker stops flashing.
                lol, it happens, now you know

Comment

Push the test button on the panel, that should make the light in the cluster stop blinking.
                  -Dave
                  2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

the eta's cluster will have the check engine light in it and the car is wired for it, as you've verified by stating the grey wire is at pin 12. just make sure your engine plug's(formally x20, now c101) pin8(grey) is at pin12 in the c101, and there is a bulb in the cel, and your REAL cel will work.

Comment

If you hit the check on the control, it'll stop it from flashing.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrizzle View Post
                        If you hit the check on the control, it'll stop it from flashing.
                        This is truth. So yeah I got all but my Engine Oil light to turn off.

I checked my wiring, it is correct. I bought a quart of oil and topped the oil off. Its now on the upper notch in the dip stick. However the light is still on.

If I let the car sit for 30+ minutes the light wont come at immediately it will take about 5 seconds. So I don't know what to do about that.

Comment

How is your oil lever sensor wired? What harness did you use?

Comment

E36 Harness.

So I had to do the following:

"You have to add the wires to the E36 harness, and pin them through the C101. C101 pin 2 is for oil level sensor pin 1 (low); C101 pin 10 is for oil level sensor pin 3 (full). pin 2 of the oil level sensor needs to go to ground (either spliced into a harness ground or on the engine/chassis somewhere)."

The above is the words of nando. I double checked all of that yesterday, so I am pretty confident that I did it right.

Comment

I guess I would triple check the oil level sensor wiring, make sure you have a good ground too. If all that checks out...maybe faulty sensor? not sure how often those go bad though.

Comment

you could also try swapping pins 10 and 2. it doesn't hurt the sensor if they're backwards, it just won't work. the pins on the connector could be reversed.

the sensors do get stuck, you could also take it out and clean it.

anyway, at least it solves the issue of the ghost check engine light. hehehe. :)
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X