AKG Swap mounts not fitting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AKG Swap mounts not fitting?

My original e28 mounts gave out so I went to upgrade to AKG mounts on my e30s54. I use Z3M s54 engine arms that I bought new from BMW so they aren't bent. And as far as I know the Z3m s54 engine arms are the correct ones that still have the intake manifold mount. The AKG bushing seems like the studs aren't wide enough for the engine. The mounts don't sit flat on the subframe and have to rock outwards to get the stud through the engine arms. It didn't look confidence inspiring. I tried another subframe I had and got the same issue so I am pretty sure it is the mounts. I contacted AKG and sent them some pictures of the issue and they agreed I had an issue but were pretty mehhh in general about wanting to do anything about it. Anyone else run into this issue? I always heard that the AKG were the best mounts, not sure where to go from here. I can post some pics of people are interested.
    e30sport.net
    '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
    '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
    '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Im interested, i just received my poly akg mounts and test fit them with my arc asylum subframe on an engine stand(if that matters) and they seem to fit fine

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastianjg View Post
      Im interested, i just received my poly akg mounts and test fit them with my arc asylum subframe on an engine stand(if that matters) and they seem to fit fine
      I will post pictures in a bit. What engine arms are you using? One of the subframes I mocked it up with was my arc asylum subframe. Maybe I got a bad set of mounts? I am hesitant to order another set and have the same issue.
      e30sport.net

Comment

I'm using the regular e36 engine arms

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastianjg View Post
          I'm using the regular e36 engine arms
          I am actually wondering at this point of the z3m arms do not have the same spacing as the e36 arms.
          e30sport.net

Comment

I used e36 arms on mine. I've only ever heard of people using the drivers side Z3 M engine arm. Maybe the passenger side is different compared to the e36? I would pick up a set of e36 arms and see if that changes anything .
            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

I had the same issue when I tried using AKG solid aluminum engine mounts, with Z3M engine arms.

I thought something was wrong with the mount arms I had, so I bought a new passenger side mount arm and used an E36 driver's side arm. It still didn't fit. I ended up selling the solid mounts and eventually upgraded to the AKG poly mounts. They still don't fit like a glove, but when the engine's weight pushes down on the mounts, it fits.

What I'm suspecting is the aluminum mounts were designed around dimensions that don't actually work with the S54, but because the poly mounts have some give, they work.

The E36 passenger side arm is identical to the Z3M. I bought a new E36 arm, and it was identical to the Z3M arm I had.

Originally posted by whysimon
              WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                I had the same issue when I tried using AKG solid aluminum engine mounts, with Z3M engine arms.

I thought something was wrong with the mount arms I had, so I bought a new passenger side mount arm and used an E36 driver's side arm. It still didn't fit. I ended up selling the solid mounts and eventually upgraded to the AKG poly mounts. They still don't fit like a glove, but when the engine's weight pushes down on the mounts, it fits.

What I'm suspecting is the aluminum mounts were designed around dimensions that don't actually work with the S54, but because the poly mounts have some give, they work.

The E36 passenger side arm is identical to the Z3M. I bought a new E36 arm, and it was identical to the Z3M arm I had.
                Good to know and I agree with you regarding the swap mounts. I have the black AKG's, and they work better than some others I've used but I've yet to use any swap mounts that fit perfectly.
                - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post

Good info. I will post some pics eventually here and it would be interesting to see if your misalignment is similar to mine. I guess at this point if its an s54 thing, nothing is going to really work and I might as well use the AKG mounts
                  e30sport.net

Comment

Working...
                  X