No announcement yet.

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright. Its been decided. I really didnt want to deal with the hassle anyway. And I think itll look good with the contrast. Working on the carpet swap tonight. No sleep until its done!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

Got another two items off the "to do" list.

Here's the first: rogue engineering steering wheel quick disconnect + slim NRG adapter. The whole combo added another inch to the steering wheel position which was exactly what I was looking for. I opted for a quick disconnect because I also spaced the steering wheel down a bit more and now it's a little tight getting in and out of the seat. Seating position with regards to the steering wheel and shifter are now spot on! It felt phenomenal crushing some canyons over the past weekend.

The rogue QD is an excellent piece. It allows horn function and fit/finish are perfect. The NRG hub was a little disappointing though. It does not have provisions to allow the steering wheel to lock with key out (I see this as good), but it also does not have the brass contact ring for the horn to function properly (really irritating). It seems like a really simple function to add so I will see if I can cannibalize the part off my oem steering wheel to make it work.

Second item off the list: install the gray carpet. I am very excited to finally have this done. Totally transformed the look of the interior. It looks like the car came with it from the factory. The color perfectly complements the rest of the interior. I was also glad to see the condition of the floor under the carpet is excellent. No rust.

Will post some more completed interior pictures when I have the chance to take them.

Now just hoping to sell some parts so I can buy tires and get to an autox asap! Also have all my rear brake parts ready to install when I have a free day. All in all I am very happy with the state of the car. Feels like just a small project away from reaching a good "completed" stage to plateau at for a while and concentrate on driving it and washing it.

Lastly, had a "small" visitor scurry across the entrance to the garage. Thought it was a mouse or other small rodent out of the corner of my eye... thing was the size of my hand.

Shadetree30

Comment

The carpet looks awesome, way better than tan. Just curious, are you planning to keep the tan door handles and pockets or switch to black? Seems to me like that's the last piece to tie it all together.
        ▲ 1991 318is ▲ | Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by The_Lope7 View Post
          The carpet looks awesome, way better than tan. Just curious, are you planning to keep the tan door handles and pockets or switch to black? Seems to me like that's the last piece to tie it all together.
          The handles are actually gray. Light gray. You're right though, from the picture it does look kinda tan. Ill get som photos in daylight that should show it better.

Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
            The handles are actually gray. Light gray. You're right though, from the picture it does look kinda tan. Ill get som photos in daylight that should show it better.

Oh gotcha! In that case it makes more sense
            ▲ 1991 318is ▲ | Feedback Thread

Comment

I believe I've seen people transfer over the contact ring for the horn onto the NRG slim hub. I'm using a Momo and essentially the same quick release, as I am 99% sure that Rogue piece is a rebranded NRG quick release. They are nice pieces.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                I believe I've seen people transfer over the contact ring for the horn onto the NRG slim hub. I'm using a Momo and essentially the same quick release, as I am 99% sure that Rogue piece is a rebranded NRG quick release. They are nice pieces.
                Yea, I've seen some posts of that too. Just need to get to my storage unit and find my old steering wheel. Glad I kept it. Looking at pictures of the NRG QRs, looks like you may be right. All the parts look near identical. The "assembly" instructions were entirely in japanese/chinese lol.
                Shadetree30

Comment

Yup, pop out the old contact ring and put it into the NRG hub. Also, add a little extension to the signal canceller, like an inch.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
                    Yup, pop out the old contact ring and put it into the NRG hub. Also, add a little extension to the signal canceller, like an inch.
                    I just came across an old thread a few years back where you posted some pictures. Thanks ill do that. Just annoying they dont include it seeing how easy it would be.

Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

Lastly, had a "small" visitor scurry across the entrance to the garage. Thought it was a mouse or other small rodent out of the corner of my eye... thing was the size of my hand.

time to set the whole house on fire.
                      Originally posted by dvck
                      I'm going to say this nicely; go fuck yourself.

Comment

Hey did you by chance start with an airbag steering wheel? Wanting to get mine swapped to a momo wheel
                        1990 325is
                        m52b28
                        3.73lsd
                        g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                          Hey did you by chance start with an airbag steering wheel? Wanting to get mine swapped to a momo wheel
                          The process is the same, you just have to have another stack of washers on the other side of the hub as well because the steering column is longer on an airbag car.

On all of the cars there is a pretty thick washer BEFORE the stock wheel, or before your aftermarket hub. You need another one of those, or something suitably similar, AFTER the hub. Otherwise the nut bottoms out on the splines before the hub is tight. I hope this makes sense.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

The process is the same, you just have to have another stack of washers on the other side of the hub as well because the steering column is longer on an airbag car.

On all of the cars there is a pretty thick washer BEFORE the stock wheel, or before your aftermarket hub. You need another one of those, or something suitably similar, AFTER the hub. Otherwise the nut bottoms out on the splines before the hub is tight. I hope this makes sense.

Yup, easiest way is to grab a 2nd BMW spacer and use it as a washer. You can buy them new and they are fairly cheap.

Btw, how did you go about lowering the steering column? Was it difficult?
                            Last edited by pandaboo911; 07-21-2017, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by itskingsteelo View Post
                              time to set the whole house on fire.
                              Hahaha I've had plenty of visitors over the years. I only worry if I see scorpions or black widows in the garage.
                              Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                              started with non-airbag

what he said
                              Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                              Yup, easiest way is to grab a 2nd BMW spacer and use it as a washer. You can buy them new and they are fairly cheap.

Btw, how did you go about lowering the steering column? Was it difficult?
                              It's fairly easy. There are two rivets that bolt the column in place with a bracket. You can see them if you remove the covers. You just drill out the rivets and replace with bolts + spacer of your preference. You may have to clearance the inside of your steering knuckle on the rack side of the column depending on how much you change the angle of the column. If you drop it a lot you might bind the joint. I clearanced the joint already ages ago when iI swapped racks.
                              Shadetree30

Comment

Thanks yall!
                                1990 325is
                                m52b28
                                3.73lsd
                                g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Working...
                                X