Flywheel kit for stock s52/zf swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are the last parts I need for my swap. Need some opinions and clarification on some issues.
    Looking at three kits
    1** UUC kit (BMW M5 clutch) 8.5 lbs Alum. Flywheel. Is this too light? $975, on sale this weekend (15% off + free shipping in the USA)
    2** Gripforce (Sachs clutch + FX Racing Chromoly fwheel) 14.5 lbs ($505)
    3** Gripforce (Sachs clutch + FX Racing Aluminum fwheel) 10.6 lbs ($475)
    4** Gripforce (Sachs clutch + Fidanza Aluminum fwheel) 13.0 lbs ($635)

I would like to avoid chatter/gear noise. (UUC loudest?)
    Stick with Chromoly, 14.5 is light enough.
    Is stage 2 too much for street only car?
    Is Fidanza worth the extra $$$ over FX Racing.
    Get the UUC since is the lighter one, play with oil mixture and deal with noise

Originally posted by svn2002s View Post
    These are the last parts I need for my swap. Need some opinions and clarification on some issues.
    Looking at three kits
    1** UUC kit (BMW M5 clutch) 8.5 lbs Alum. Flywheel. Is this too light? $975, on sale this weekend (15% off + free shipping in the USA)
    2** Gripforce (Sachs clutch + FX Racing Chromoly fwheel) 14.5 lbs ($505)
    3** Gripforce (Sachs clutch + FX Racing Aluminum fwheel) 10.6 lbs ($475)
    4** Gripforce (Sachs clutch + Fidanza Aluminum fwheel) 13.0 lbs ($635)

I would like to avoid chatter/gear noise. (UUC loudest?)
    Stick with Chromoly, 14.5 is light enough.
    Is stage 2 too much for street only car?
    Is Fidanza worth the extra $$$ over FX Racing.
    Get the UUC since is the lighter one, play with oil mixture and deal with noise
    The Bimmerworld/JB Racing kit is the quietest I've heard, and one of the lightest. UUC is LOUD and isn't well liked. Trans fluid has made zero difference on reducing the chatter.

They are all loud. They are pointless for a street only car. "stage 2" is meaningless unless you have a product link and it's clear what "stage 1" is, but since it's not stock, yes it's too much for a street car.

My JBRacing/Clutchmasters 'oem-like' clutch kit is grabby at times and isn't all that fun to be in traffic with, behind either my S50/ZF or now the S54/ZF (same components, same behavior). My other S52/ZF car (stock fly/clutch) has zero issues in traffic and is plenty fast enough for rev matching.

Go with stock S52 clutch/fly for a pure street car.
    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I've got the ECS 'in house' LTW flywheel & M5 clutch kit on my car. I've put a few thousand miles on it now. Seems to be doing pretty good. My old m20 made more noise in neutral it seems. I'm still getting used to the r3v happiness the LTW flywheel provides :)
      -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
      '95 525iT
      '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
      '98 Disco 1

Comment

Zf are supposed to rattle a lot less than Getrag but still you want something a little lighter but not crazy light if you DD got A/C etc
        Last edited by digger; 09-04-2016, 07:56 PM.
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Lots of people ask me about the day to day drivability of our ITB intakes and Light Flywheel products and also the tuning capabilities of EcuMaster stand alo...

Have a look at this it's a ultra light fw seems to be refined
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

this: 2** Gripforce (Sachs clutch + FX Racing Chromoly fwheel) 14.5 lbs ($505)

Check Us out on Facebook
            Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
            Full Product Line Tuning
            OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

I am ordering the chromoly lighter than stock but not too light.
              Thread with more info http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...light=flywheel .
              Finally will have all parts to start this project.

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                Agreed. I have this kit in my car. It makes a little noise but not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                  yup. pick this with the sprung friction disc for less chatter on engagement; but look at below post for potential failure.

the chromoly flywheel is a lot better for noise than the aluminum; have a aasco aluminum fly in one car and chromoly in another. UUC aluminum fly is perhaps made by fidanza or aasco; who knows. it will be noisy and hopefully the recent editions have no more issues loosening the bolts; about a decade ago I bought one that had been damaged by loosened bolts during running to analyze.

aluminum fly sounds like the trans is going to explode when you are in gear coasting without throttle and it starts decelerating; the steel fly also causes noise but much less than the aluminum.

the ZF SG320 5 speed was never designed by BMW for a single mass flywheel, G260 was - 260 is much better with a single mass steel flywheel.
                  Last edited by Wanganstyle; 10-31-2016, 05:05 PM.
                  OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Since Sachs doesn't have a sprung disc, which brand too choose?
                    Is the E34/M5 clutch an option? (fitment)

found the answer, wont fit
                    Last edited by svn2002s; 09-07-2016, 05:46 PM.

Comment

I went with stage 3 gripforce clutch and PP. with stock dual mass flywheel. The reason I went with that just because of the boost. I haven't completed the swap yet but should be good as what many people doing. and should no noise present.

Comment

7hrs of track use;

stock s52b32 in s52b32 original car- down to the original dme and s52 intake manifold. Car puts down only 210rwhp

Nt01+aero+Laguna Seca +bilstein grp N + time attack = aftermarket friction disc failure.

Flywheel was ok; pressure plate and brass pivot and clip all destroyed.

If the car sees severe duty with high grip tires and parts a stock friction disc is very recommended
                        Last edited by Wanganstyle; 10-31-2016, 05:15 PM.
                        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Good lord ^

Comment

Originally posted by svn2002s View Post
                            Since Sachs doesn't have a sprung disc, which brand too choose?
                            Is the E34/M5 clutch an option? (fitment)

found the answer, wont fit
                            E34/m5 clutch disc should fit? Same splines, 240mm, just sprung instead of unsprung?

I went FX stage 3 and had it balanced to the pressure plate beforehand. I think it was ~1g out, but the machine shop essentially told me I wasted my money and that it would've been fine to just run it.

It definitely makes some noise if you try to stomp the throttle below 2000RPM.

RHD now makes 240mm flywheels for 24v applications(which is what I would buy if I did it again), and they take an M30/S38 pressure plate setup too, so you could just buy any clutch setup for an M30 now. Euro guys seem to love the Sachs 765 pressure plate for high power stuff.
                            Originally posted by priapism
                            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                            Originally posted by shameson
                            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                              RHD now makes 240mm flywheels for 24v applications(which is what I would buy if I did it again), and they take an M30/S38 pressure plate setup too, so you could just buy any clutch setup for an M30 now. Euro guys seem to love the Sachs 765 pressure plate for high power stuff.
                              That one looks quite good. No anything fancy aluminium bullshit that some manufacturers sell. I can get same kind of flywheel from Finland also, but it's lot heavier. And with sre-pressure assembly it's almost as heavy as the original dualmass. So that RHD one would be much better.

EDIT do you know are those shipped from AU? Just wondering if I have to pay Import tax in Finland.
                              Last edited by pazi88; 11-01-2016, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X