This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post Your M/S5X 24V Swap Setup

I know the "Comprehensive DOHC" thread is out there, but it is getting very cluttered. I figured posting up complete and running 24v setups might help people with questions they may have on which parts to use on their own swap. Feel free to post your setup and to ask questions.

The following is the way I did the swap in my 318is, but there are MANY options. Hopefully others will post what has worked for them.

1. Engine
    I ended up buying a S50B30 OBD-I engine from a guy down in San Diego. I also purchased an e34 525i oil pan, pickup tube, dipstick, and throttle cable (this item I purchased new). While the engine is out of the car I recommend replacing the routine items such as head gasket, water pump, spark plugs, oil pump nut (I used red loctite and a drilled nut), tensioning pulleys, and possibly the VANOS o-rings and spacer. For the VANOS rebuild, I utilized the single vanos rebuild kit from http://www.beisansystems.com/. I also had the head rebuilt at Hopsing Machining in San Diego. He does great work for the price.

2. Engine Wiring
    The wiring harness I ended up using was from a e34 525i that I picked up from Autobahn in San Diego. There are many wiring harness adapters that can be used, but I opted to repin the harness into the existing connector using a special BMW repinning tool and new pins. I have a few color diagrams available for those interested. If anyone needs one please feel free to PM me.

3. Drivetrain
    I bought a Getrag 260 with a stock 325i driveshaft and a 3.73 LSD. I could have reused the Getrag 240, but opted for the larger transmission because of future plans with the engine. This setup required a swap brace that is rotated 10 degrees which can be attained from white325is on here. I used the e21 320i solid transmission mounts and the Z3M differential mount with the setup as well.

4. Shift Lever and Linkage
    To go along with the drivetrain, I purchased a z4 2.5 shift lever and the AKG dual sheer selector rod. Since the transmission was rotated 10 degrees, the DSSR was cut in half and rewelded at a 10 degree angle to match the rotation. I have seen now that UUC is possibly making a "bent" DSSR which would be a great option for people wanting to stick with the Getrag 260. I highly recommend the DSSR. There is absolutely no slop in my shift linkage anymore. I also recommend refreshing the bushings and washers in the shift linkage at this point in time while everything is out of the car.

5. Motor Mounts
    I utilized the AKG motor mounts that are solid urethane. Although this is a bullet proof setup, it does rattle the hell out of my car at idle. I would recommend the e28 535i mounts for a smoother ride, but make sure you get the OEM ones for the extra cash. I have heard a few stories of some other mounts shearing in half and damaging radiators and pulleys. Here is an installation guide for the OEM ones: http://www.akgmotorsport.com/e30convinstr2.html

6. Brake Booster, Master Cylinder, and External Reservoir
    The brake components I utilized were the e32 735i booster and master cylinder along with the 2002 remote reservoir. No modifications were necessary for the booster and master cylinder. The 2002 reservoir required a remote mounting location and a supply and return line both leading to 2002 plastic elbows shown in the diagram as #12 and #14 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...08&hg=34&fg=25

7. Steering System
    I ended up using the e30 steering lines but heating and bending was required to make them fit. This was not easy and took some time. Just be patient and persistant with this step.

8. Cooling System
    I opted to use a e36 radiator with a 16" Spal puller fan for the cooling system. I reused the e30 325i external coolant reservoir and purchased silicon hoses from Rogue Engineering. Before I installed the puller fan, the engine would slightly overheat with a fan delete kit (http://store.bimmerworld.com/e36z3-6...-kit-p582.aspx), so a puller/pusher fan is absolutely necessary. Also do not purchase the water pump shaft nut. Mine didn't fit.

9. Exhaust System
    I ended up buying an e36 Rogue Engineering cat-back exhaust from Levent. The stock exhaust manifolds were ceramic coated black and a custom midpipe was put together by RPM in Oceanside with the stock e36 cats (for California BAR purposes). The cat-back doesn't fit well and some custom work on the battery tray needs to be done to tuck the exhaust up a little more, but overall I am happy about the look and sound of the exhaust.

I am extremely happy with my swap! Hopefully this thread helps with some questions people may have. I can also add pictures if requested. Thanks for looking.

-Ian

Last edited by ian e30 318is; 08-29-2012, 04:29 PM.

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
    Instagram:
    https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
    LS Build Thread:
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

great information! thanks man :)

Comment

What all do you need to BAR it? Do you have any tips on passing the BAR 'test'?
      The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
      Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
      2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

1. Engine
        M52b28, full OBD-1 swapped, s52 cams, ported and polished head, tuning from TRM. Replaced most seals and gaskets prior to dropping in the engine.

2. Engine Wiring

e34 525i harness, spliced on an e30 engine side c101 to connect up to the chassis side wiring.

3. Drivetrain

Getrag 260, new OEM clutch and pressure plate, e30 pilot bearing. Used stock driveshaft and 3.46 lsd. Revs are right around 3k at 120km/h on the highway. Custom modified my stock trans brace to mount the trans on an angle, and used the more solid e21 trans mounts.

b&m short shifter and all new bushings. Replaced the bitch clip with a bolted connection to make it easier to remove if I need to.

5. Motor Mounts

e28 535i mounts, no spacers above or below the mounts.

Stock booster slotted over half inch. Cut and welded the clevis so the linkage is still straight. Shaved the last 3 intake manifold fins off for a little extra clearance.

7. Steering System

m52 return line, and e30 supply line. e36 reservoir mount. Did an e36 rack as well, cutting the rubber flex disc out and solid mounting the 2 sides of the linkage together in order to shorten the linkage by ~.5". Steering is nice and lively now without the dead zone that used to be there because of the guibo.

8. Cooling System

e36 radiator, late model e30 expansion tank (I have an early model car), 16" summit racing pusher fan wired into stock aux fan wiring. Low temp thermostat, and lower temp aux fan switch. Got some generic rad hoses from NAPA and cut them to fit the hot and cold side.

9. Exhaust System

Raceland longtube headers. Had to dent in the subframe, bend the front swaybar and dent the header to make them fit. I wouldn't suggest these headers as it was a royal pain in the ass to get them to fit. Did my own custom 2.5" system with 2 straight through mufflers and a hi-flow cat. Sound is nice and quiet at idle, not too much rasp, and screams at high rpm.

-Andrew

Comment

Keep this thread going. This is very informative!

Comment

1. Engine
            Non-VANOS M50B25 from '92 525i.
            Replaced all seals and gaskets prior to install, SKF Speedi-Sleeve on crankshaft rear main seal.
            Kamotors intake w/ E34 intake boot.

2. Engine Wiring
            E34 525i harness, hard-wired directly into X20 connector.

3. Drivetrain
            Fully resealed Getrag 260, New Sachs OEM clutch and pressure plate, E30 pilot bearing.
            Stock E30 driveshaft to fully resealed S3.73 LSD. White325is transmission mount w/ stock rubber mounts.

Z3 1.9 shift lever, AKG Delrin shift carrier bushing, solid bolt mounted to new OEM aluminum shift carrier.
            UUC DSSR w/ all new washers/bushings, Delrin shift knob.

5. Motor Mounts
            E28 535i green mounts.

Porsche 944 Girling booster, resealed OEM E30 master, new OEM E30 fluid reservoir.

7. Steering System
            E36 328i steering rack, OEM E36 supply and return hardlines, new OEM fluid reservoir, cut/modified E30 softlines.
            Cut/shortened E30 linkage, guibo removed.

8. Cooling System
            OEM M42 radiator w/ 16" SPAL pusher (no stock engine fan), metal impeller water pump and Z3 1.9 radiator/fan temp switch.
            Stock E34 hoses cut/modified to fit, stainless T-Bolt hose clamps.

9. Exhaust System
            Ebay Supersprint rep headers, ceramic coated inside/outside, Flowmaster dual 2"-into-2.5" Y pipe.
            V-Band clamp into 2.5" Borla ProXS center muffler, no cats, single 2.5" piping to second V-Band clamp, single 2.5" piping into 2.5" Vibrant StreetPower rear muffler.

Last edited by Jand3rson; 08-26-2012, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Awesome posts Frankie and Janderson.

Originally posted by E30FreaK89 View Post
              great information! thanks man :)
              No problem sir :D

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
              What all do you need to BAR it? Do you have any tips on passing the BAR 'test'?
              It actually was pretty straight forward where I went (referee station in Miramar/San Diego Area). The main things they told me they look for is that:

1. Everything regarding the engine needs to be from the existing car that the engine came out of. So an e36 engine needs to have e36 components which includes everything back to the catalytic converters. I used two stock e36 cats with my setup. The exhaust after the cats can be anything you want.

2. No check engine light can be present when the engine is running, but it must also function (i.e. when the car is in auxiliary mode).

and most importantly
              3. The engine must pass the SMOG test which is conducted at the BAR station (at least at Miramar).

I passed with a K&N cone filter so I think they were pretty laid back, but as long as everything looks good and works fine you should pass with flying colors. I was pretty nervous when I first got there, but the guys that worked there ended up being pretty nice. Hope that helps.

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
              Keep this thread going. This is very informative!
              I agree!!
              Last edited by ian e30 318is; 07-29-2012, 01:26 AM.

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
              Instagram:
              https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
              LS Build Thread:
              https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

Comment

1. Engine
                S52B32: full conversion over to OBDI (includes S50 valve cover, coils, fuel rail, manifold). I was lucky and the head had a 3rd pre-drilled hole for the coolant temp sensor.
                Shrick street cams (intake/exhaust)
                24lb injectors
                3" stock MAF
                Stock E36 M3 airbox

2. Engine Wiring
                S50 harness. I didn't want to fuss with having to extend the ECU connector to reach into the glovebox (not sure how much of an issue this would have been with the E34 M50 harness)

3. Drivetrain
                Getrag S6S-420G (six speed from E46 M3).
                UUC lightweight flywheel (11lb steel)
                E34 M5 pressure plate and sprung E46 M3 clutch disc
                E36 325i clutch slave cylinder
                S50 pilot bearing
                Custom transmission mount fabricated by BNB Designs (user jrdreamicis on here)
                Automatic E36 M3 driveshaft with E30 CSB (although I had to stretch it out more than I like where the two halves connect)
                3.73 LSD (stock lockup) with finned MZ3 diff cover. The 3.46 is recommended here -- I'm not taking advantage of the torque in the lower gears with the 3.73.

Rogue Engineering SSK
                E46 6spd shift knob
                No need for any custom bending here since the 6-speed isn't clocked

5. Motor Mounts
                AKG Poly with custom spacers from BNB Designs

E32 booster
                E32 master cylinder with remote 2002 reservoir (which has 3 outputs so I didn't need an extra reservoir for the clutch fluid)
                Shaved the last 3 intake manifold fins off for a little extra clearance.
                The Massive race kit that I'm running is so much brake awesomeness that I think I could live without a booster…I might go this route to clean up the bay a little more.

7. Steering System
                Z3 steering rack into stock steering knuckle (I have a '90 airbag car). Used about 3 spacers (S5x head bolt washers) on each of the mounting bolts. Custom lines to/from rack, pump, and stock E36 M3 reservoir (mounted on engine mount arm).

8. Cooling System
                M42 radiator to eliminate need for external expansion tank (after BNB designs relocated my ABS to the passenger side battery tray, this gave me enough room to run a stock E36 airbox). Pusher fan in front. No fan on engine side. Lower temp thermostat and AUX cooling fan switch (which is feeding the pusher). I think I'm going to have to go with a larger customer sized radiator here since it runs a little hot on track.

9. Exhaust System
                Stock OBDII exhaust manifolds (with O2 sensor bungs plugged by Toyota Tacoma oil pan drain bolts) into custom x-pipe containing O2 sensor into stock OBDII mid-pipe (secondary O2 sensor bungs also plugged). Then custom pipes and hangers to Eisenmann Race exhaust.
                sigpic
                1990 325i

Comment

Those are all great write ups.

Janderson I used that exhaust set up. It's awesome!!

Comment

This thread is good

Seems like steering guibo removal is commonplace now!

Comment

here is my setup

Engine 1995 M50TUB25, mostly stock. Beisan Systems Vanos seal kit installed, KaMotors intake kit.

Engine Wiring 1995 E36 stock wiring with self made adapter harness incorporating the oil level sensor, and AC engage wiring for idle bump

Drivetrain E46 ZF 320 transmission, with E30 shift linkage. Driveshaft is E30 Eta based as is clutch/pressure plate/throwout. Stock ZF slave cylinder connected to stock E30 master and hoses. S2.93 rear diff

Motor Mounts stock 535 mounts with 3/8 spacer on drivers side for booster clearance

Booster, Master Cylinder Stock E30, shifted 1/2 inch. Complete working ABS.

Steering System Stock E36 rack with custom modified coupling. PS hoses stock E30

Cooling system Mishimoto knockoff all aluminum E36 radiator, stock late model overflow tank, Graf metal impeller waterpump, E34 hoses, E30 engine driven fan, 2400CFM Spal pusher fan in place of stock aux fan, wired to run high speed only off stock wiring. Full working AC

Exhaust System Supersprint knockoff headers into modified stock E30 exhaust system.
                      I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Originally posted by eandrade View Post
                        1. Engine
                        S52B32: full conversion over to OBDI (includes S50 valve cover, coils, fuel rail, manifold). I was lucky and the head had a 3rd pre-drilled hole for the coolant temp sensor.
                        Shrick street cams (intake/exhaust)
                        24lb injectors
                        3" stock MAF
                        Stock E36 M3 airbox

2. Engine Wiring
                        S50 harness. I didn't want to fuss with having to extend the ECU connector to reach into the glovebox (not sure how much of an issue this would have been with the E34 M50 harness)

3. Drivetrain
                        Getrag S6S-420G (six speed from E46 M3).
                        UUC lightweight flywheel (11lb steel)
                        E34 M5 pressure plate and sprung E46 M3 clutch disc
                        E36 325i clutch slave cylinder
                        S50 pilot bearing
                        Custom transmission mount fabricated by BNB Designs (user jrdreamicis on here)
                        Automatic E36 M3 driveshaft with E30 CSB (although I had to stretch it out more than I like where the two halves connect)
                        3.73 LSD (stock lockup) with finned MZ3 diff cover. The 3.46 is recommended here -- I'm not taking advantage of the torque in the lower gears with the 3.73.

Rogue Engineering SSK
                        E46 6spd shift knob
                        No need for any custom bending here since the 6-speed isn't clocked

5. Motor Mounts
                        AKG Poly with custom spacers from BNB Designs

E32 booster
                        E32 master cylinder with remote 2002 reservoir (which has 3 outputs so I didn't need an extra reservoir for the clutch fluid)
                        Shaved the last 3 intake manifold fins off for a little extra clearance.
                        The Massive race kit that I'm running is so much brake awesomeness that I think I could live without a booster…I might go this route to clean up the bay a little more.

7. Steering System
                        Z3 steering rack into stock steering knuckle (I have a '90 airbag car). Used about 3 spacers (S5x head bolt washers) on each of the mounting bolts. Custom lines to/from rack, pump, and stock E36 M3 reservoir (mounted on engine mount arm).

8. Cooling System
                        M42 radiator to eliminate need for external expansion tank (after BNB designs relocated my ABS to the passenger side battery tray, this gave me enough room to run a stock E36 airbox). Pusher fan in front. No fan on engine side. Lower temp thermostat and AUX cooling fan switch (which is feeding the pusher). I think I'm going to have to go with a larger customer sized radiator here since it runs a little hot on track.

9. Exhaust System
                        Stock OBDII exhaust manifolds (with O2 sensor bungs plugged by Toyota Tacoma oil pan drain bolts) into custom x-pipe containing O2 sensor into stock OBDII mid-pipe (secondary O2 sensor bungs also plugged). Then custom pipes and hangers to Eisenmann Race exhaust.
                        The ernie mobile!

Part of that M42 rad was for the stock airbox to fit. That engine bay is great.
                        Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
                        Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
                        Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Thread stickied, GREAT info!

Comment

Now this is good content.
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                            ---------------------------------
                            89 E30 S52
                            ---------------------------------
                            Transaction Feedback.

Comment

So I started with an 88 325e 5spd. I bought a complete 94 m50tu with dme and harness from a manual e34 w/194k.
                              I then picked up a 100k m52 from a 98 528i. I bought all new sensors, wear items and gaskets and reassembled the m52 long block with all the neccesary m50 parts to go obd1. I am using the m20 throttle cable successfully but it's not optimal so I'll switch to e34 eventually. Spliced the e34 harness to a c101 plug to connect to the body harness but plan to re-pin the plug, To clean it up a bit more and eliminate the splice.

Motor mounts are the blue revshift urethane swap mounts with a thick washer on each side as a shim.
                              E36 mount arms
                              16" elec pusher fan, no clutch fan, no ac, no ps.
                              Stock m20 rad, e36 hoses
                              Exhaust is m50 manifolds to custom dual 2.25 w/ X pipe and 2 resonators, finishing into e36 m3 muffler. I'm not happy with the exhaust yet so this will be changed in the future.
                              Gearbox is stock g260, m20 dual mass flywheel/clutch, I believe I used an m20 throw out bearing. Ireland eng. urethane trans mounts on a white325is swap brace. Stock driveshaft back to a S3.73 diff.
                              Brake booster is a 944 with my stock master cyl and stock Clevis. Shortened the shaft and lengthened the threads to accommodate.

Comment

Working...
                              X