Valve Cover gasket time again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Cover gasket time again...

So about this time 3 years ago I changed out my valve cover gasket on my m50 e30 with a Victor Reinz gasket and yes I got the rubber grommet spcaer things that go on the bolts as well. This gasket started leaking about a year ago but it was only a little in the back corner by the headers but now it seems to be leaky all around out of nowhere, what the faaaack. I'm fairly certain VC gaskets are supposed to last more than 2 years...What do you guys think/ recommend? could my valve cover be warped? different gasket brand? I'm not going to put silicone on.
    Originally posted by LJ851

And why is there a penis on your vent opposite your non racist duck tape?

Victor Reinz have a bad rep, I tried to ignore it and thought if I did it totally right it wouldnt leak. Mine is already leaking
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      Victor Reinz have a bad rep, I tried to ignore it and thought if I did it totally right it wouldnt leak. Mine is already leaking
      I thought the same thing, that it was user error. Because even the dealer gasket is VR but I guess it actually is just bad quality.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Comment

I am fixing the same issue on an M50 E30 as well. Very upset with the VR stuff.
        My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

The annoying thing is I have an Elring gasket but its for the OBD1 valvecover (which I have), but Im not ready to swap it on...
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            The annoying thing is I have an Elring gasket but its for the OBD1 valvecover (which I have), but Im not ready to swap it on...
            Aren't obd1 and obd2 gaskets the same?

Comment

Originally posted by 325i_swap View Post
              Aren't obd1 and obd2 gaskets the same?
              Nope, unfortunately they arent
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

I've never had a problem with the VR gaskets I've used.

Make sure both surfaces are spotless and use a bit of sealant where the front cover meets the head and on the corners of the rear "D" cutouts.

You are tightening the valve cover nuts down until they stop, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post

Make sure both surfaces are spotless and use a bit of sealant where the front cover meets the head and on the corners of the rear "D" cutouts.

I did exactly that, except I didnt really crank down on the nuts. I think Im going to go back through them again...
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Yeah, I'm 2 VR gaskets deep and they've both failed. I'm pretty experienced in installing gaskets, so I'm gonna say that's not it.

From what I can tell, the gasket itself is far too hard and the silicone bead doesn't get soft enough to actually seal. It's just a badly-designed piece. When I do my planned engine oil leak overhaul, I'll be using a waffle-type BMW gasket.
                    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post

Yeah I did crank 'em till they stopped and spent a good amount of time cleaning the surfaces.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                        Yeah, I'm 2 VR gaskets deep and they've both failed. I'm pretty experienced in installing gaskets, so I'm gonna say that's not it.

From what I can tell, the gasket itself is far too hard and the silicone bead doesn't get soft enough to actually seal. It's just a badly-designed piece. When I do my planned engine oil leak overhaul, I'll be using a waffle-type BMW gasket.
                        What is this waffle-type you speak of?

Comment

Hey! Quick question because I'm about to redo mine

Use any sealant anywhere for the m20 motor?

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post

This thread has a good comparison image of the gasket profile for Elring vs OEM VCGaskets (about halfway down the page).

BMW vs Elring VCG

Looks like the BMW design features ribs to aid sealing, something which is missing on the Elring gasket, and presumably the VR too.
                            Also, as you noted, it's mentioned that the rubber compound used on each gasket is different, with the Elring being noticeably stiffer.

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                            Use any sealant anywhere for the m20 motor?
                            I just used some RTV where the rubber plugs sit at the front & rear of the cyl head, and let the OEM VCG do the rest.

Comment

the VR stuff has a bad rep all around on most everything. I've have had a handful of VR gaskets fail. Now I buy only Elring where available, and if not I research the oem manufacturer of the gasket and try to source it that way (cheaper) and if all else fails I will buy OEM. This strategy combined with the appropriate sealant (I usually use the Elring brand Curil-T which is BMW spec in many places) has resulted in no more gasket/seal failures.

I've had the VR and Elring gaskets/seals side by side a number of times and the difference is quite apparent.
                              '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                              Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                              X