No announcement yet.

Cheap/Basic M42 Mods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My understanding is that the clutch and pressure plate that goes with single mass M20 flywheel is heavier and pretty much offsets any weight lost from the swap. In order to make the swap worth while you have to remove some weight from the single mass flywheel.

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
      My understanding is that the clutch and pressure plate that goes with single mass M20 flywheel is heavier and pretty much offsets any weight lost from the swap. In order to make the swap worth while you have to remove some weight from the single mass flywheel.
      I believe the m20 setup is lighter by a couple pounds, but going to single mass more than makes up the difference even if they weighed the same. Ability to launch? Yes plz.

Comment

What do u guys think about spray maybe like a 75 shot?

Comment

sure, you can use spray for a temporary boost, but honestly, if straight line speed is what you want, you have the wrong car, unless you want to dump a lot of money into it...

the beauty of the 318is is how fun it is to drive, not necessarily how fast it is. I'm sure the turbo m42 guys will disagree...
          BEERTECH

Comment

mine ( 91 318ic)
            no p/s or a/c
            volvo elec fan ( delete clutch and fac fan,)
            no sankes under manifold, no heater plate
            head shaved, had too, cracked, warped, repaired
            ported/polished...did not take hardly a touch, fac is pretty close
            4 pintel injectors
            chipped
            copped
            free flow cat adn magna flow rear all on a 2 1/2 inch pipe ( same price as 2 1/4 so why not), 3 inch out of muffler

when clutch goes , it will gt replaced with a lightweight set up

the fun thing about it all, was it was all in "repairs" and most of it cheaper and "better" then stock

get high 20's street,( depending on my foot) 30 something hiway

most of this inspiered by tjts1's

Comment

Originally posted by 2002maniac View Post
              I've done cams too, they are awesome on the track but suck for the street.
              what cams did you end up getting? i've only been able to find schrick, wondering if there's any other options.

OP: i did the COP ignition a short time ago. easy job and smoothed out my idle nicely. i can't report a power change because i'm in the middle of doing injectors/FPR, but people widely report positive results with it and the cost is under $200 for everything. Rob with the white fender-flared turbo car is selling them over on m42club.
              past:
              1989 325is (learner shitbox)
              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
              1985 323i baur
              current:
              1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by dk View Post
                what cams did you end up getting? i've only been able to find schrick, wondering if there's any other options.
                Delta camshaft regrinds.

Comment

Delta camshaft regrinds.
                  Any more information on what you had done? What were the specs of the camshafts?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                    the beauty of the 318is is how fun it is to drive, not necessarily how fast it is. I'm sure the turbo m42 guys will disagree...
                    Yes... and yes. Turbo m42 is major :). I find any excuse to drive it. And by that I mean I daily it.

Delta camshaft regrinds.
                    Had those and are great for top end power. I dyno'd 136 to the wheels with those, delete parasitic fan (efan), 4 pintle injectors (mustang), ebay proformance chip, and cleaned up vacuum lines. Warning though, you do lose a good bit of low end torque. When I put my stockers back in for the turbo setup, gained ALOT more torque below 3000rpm.

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
                    My understanding is...
                    I have to get with you on what's involved with swapping the small 4.10 diff with a medium case 3.73 from my m20 car. The turbo makes 4.10's less than ideal.
                    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                    -----------------------------------------
                    91 318is Turbo Sold
                    87 325 Daily driver Sold
                    06 4.8is X5
                    06 Mtec X3
                    05 4.4i X5 Sold
                    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                    90 325i Sold
                    97 328is Sold
                    01 323ci Sold
                    92 325i Sold
                    83 528e Totaled
                    98 328i Sold
                    93 325i Sold

Comment

Unbolt 4.10 small case, loosen the flange nut on the tailshaft and shorten it slighty, bolt in 3.73 medium case.
                      - Chris
                      Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Delta camshaft regrinds.
                        Do we even care about low end power for a m42 though?
                        does teh torque increase up top, where it is ACTUALLY driven?

I do hear about low end torque going down, but does it really affect the car when driving it (hard) because when I am driving spirited, and like the feel for power, it usually isnt seeing below 3k

Just curious.
                        [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
                        Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Comment

Originally posted by fiftytakedowns View Post
                          I do hear about low end torque going down, but does it really affect the car when driving it (hard) because when I am driving spirited, and like the feel for power, it usually isnt seeing below 3k

Just curious.
                          True. Even now with the turbo I spend more time over 3k... so good point. Was just thinking of someone who was used to "more" torque down low for city driving or something. Most 318is drivers do wind their car up pretty good and won't notice the loss of torque down low.

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
                          Unbolt 4.10 small case, loosen the flange nut on the tailshaft and shorten it slighty, bolt in 3.73 medium case.
                          Sweet, I thought I would need a driveshaft from an m20 car...
                          "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                          -----------------------------------------
                          91 318is Turbo Sold
                          87 325 Daily driver Sold
                          06 4.8is X5
                          06 Mtec X3
                          05 4.4i X5 Sold
                          92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                          90 325i Sold
                          97 328is Sold
                          01 323ci Sold
                          92 325i Sold
                          83 528e Totaled
                          98 328i Sold
                          93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                            True. Even now with the turbo I spend more time over 3k... so good point. Was just thinking of someone who was used to "more" torque down low for city driving or something. Most 318is drivers do wind their car up pretty good and won't notice the loss of torque down low.
                            I did a 400km cruise today, spent the better portion up over 3.5k good fun the freeways in the hills out here :) 4.45 Diff is really short!

Sweet, I thought I would need a driveshaft from an m20 car...
                            Nope tailshaft is telescopic, simple job :)
                            - Chris
                            Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

When I put in my medium case 4.10 with the turbo car I didn't even have to shorten the driveshaft, it just fit in.

Comment

Man I never knew my M42 was pretty quick. I beat a 87 325 last night and had 2 extra passengers with me. And then I raced a acura RSX and was behind by half a car the whole way. dam i was surprised

Comment

Working...
                                X