No announcement yet.

Official Electric Fan wiring thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the Stock fan wiring? It's three wires, brown, blue black, and black green..not sure what to do cause it's not what OP said
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

Comment

Ah i see what i did. fail.

But yes thats the plug.

Check Us out on Facebook
      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
      Full Product Line Tuning
      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
        Ah i see what i did. fail.

But yes thats the plug.
        Okay sweet, the blue/black I assume is positive and brown of course is ground?

As for the temp switch side, I just splice the black and brown, and wire the green into it correct?
        Originally posted by TSI
        OEM+

Comment

BK/Blue is high speed +12 and brn is ground yes.

And as for the temp switch, yes assuming you have a fan switch between them.

Check Us out on Facebook
          Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
          Full Product Line Tuning
          OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
            BK/Blue is high speed +12 and brn is ground yes.

And as for the temp switch, yes assuming you have a fan switch between them.
            Whatchu mean fan switch? The thing on the radiator right?
            Sorry for being so lost. I can wire an M50 but I can't figure this out, go figure haha.
            Originally posted by TSI
            OEM+

Comment

LOL, faulty brand new temp switch - talk about chasing your tail.

Thanks Dave and Erik for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Originally posted by blunttech
              Always Always go for the reach around if there is an option

Comment

Originally posted by giantkeeper View Post

No problem, glad we got it sorted.

Erik

Comment

Good to hear!

Check Us out on Facebook
                  Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Wired it up as per OP's instructions, still nothing. I got to get this fan working cause my coolant cap keeps bursting over, it's 98* outside and my E30 will have none of it. Need this working asap

I know it's a wiring hack job, but it's just
                    Temporary until it actually works..
                    Originally posted by TSI
                    OEM+

Comment

That temp switch is also new

I need this fan to work today, I'm going on a road trip with friends and this heat is going to devour my car. Just need it to work some way or some how
                      Originally posted by TSI
                      OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by giantkeeper View Post

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
                        That temp switch is also new

I need this fan to work today, I'm going on a road trip with friends and this heat is going to devour my car. Just need it to work some way or some how
                        New doesn't mean the same thing as good. Test it replace it if faulty. Then find somone to help clean up that wiring mess. ;)

Erik

Comment

Oh god, I really need this fan running tonight, i won't be able to get a temp switch anytime soon.
                          Originally posted by TSI
                          OEM+

Comment

Lol I'm a noob. Got an old switch and put it in as a blank on my dash, wired up the fan to it with a 30amp fuse in line. It feels terrible and looks terrible but it's all I need for this trip cause this road is all traffic. ordered a new temp switch for when I come back.
                            Originally posted by TSI
                            OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
                              Lol I'm a noob. Got an old switch and put it in as a blank on my dash, wired up the fan to it with a 30amp fuse in line. It feels terrible and looks terrible but it's all I need for this trip cause this road is all traffic. ordered a new temp switch for when I come back.
                              Wiring a load as large as a fan directly to a switch often ends in a massive fail. The better idea is to leave the unfinished car in the garage and ride with a friend. Come back from the trip and fix it correctly.

JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
                                Wiring a load as large as a fan directly to a switch often ends in a massive fail. The better idea is to leave the unfinished car in the garage and ride with a friend. Come back from the trip and fix it correctly.

JMHO
                                Would you recommend doing honestly? None of my friends have cars (Im still in high school..figures). I'm honestly only going to turn the switch on when I absolutely HAVE to, and will turn it off immediately. The switch is rated for 35Amps at 12VDC, the fan only pulls 11amps, and there's a 30amp fuse in line between them. I should be fine for a day, no? Regardless I've already order the temp switch so I can do it right.
                                Originally posted by TSI
                                OEM+

Comment

Working...
                                X