Any R53 experts here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
    dirty30, thank you for your succint response to the thread, however, would care to expound upon your profound knowledge of said vehicle?
    Sure...

These are a few things to look out for:

Power steering pump failure after power steering cooling fan failure
    Manual trans flywheels exploding under regular use (no fuh raze)
    Control arm bushings disintegrating extremely fast
    Radio's dying
    Panoramic sunroof floods/ then breaks
    Supercharger life expectancy of about 100K
    Interior literally falling apart (ie: speaker grilles, cupholders, seat frames crack, interior fabrics loosening from backings)

A pillar trims flying off the car as you drive down the road, as well as fender mouldings
    constant CEL, two MAP sensors, o2's get routinely replaced
    front strut tower steel cracking/ stretching
    t-stat issues, causing overheat issues, causing cylinder head warping
    complicated waterpump replacement $$$
    muffler hangers rust, mufflers rust (we're talking about a 2-3 year old hanger)

Hope that helps, I honestly could not think of a worse car to buy as a daily driver. Just trying to save you some money and headache.

Comment

Interesting, the stuff I've read mostly has been the strut towers/sunroof/harness problems.

That's too bad. I really dig those little cars.

What's the deal on E46 non-M reliability? A 330 would be nice.
      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by BenM View Post
        I didn't realize OK doesn't get much snow every year, but they make great DD (despite poor MPG).
        And when we do get it, it's gone quickly. We had a storm blow through earlier this year that dropped 6" of snow on the ground. The next day it was sunny/warm and by 3pm almost all the snow was melted.

We have wild weather down here.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

I would check out North American Motoring forums; they have a good stock problems/issues thread listing..

The leading Mini Cooper community for news, discussion, FAQS, and reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post

ever thought about a diesel vw? They modify easily/cheaply, there is a ton of aftermarket, and they are a a lot more roomy.
            ahahahaha no one wants any of your kool aid j00

Comment

i'd recommend a non-s cooper. the gas mileage difference is significant (as well as price), and with your S52 you wont need another fast car. i drove a cooper s and honestly i would not want to drive one every day. they are loud and rough.
              http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

I don't think I could handle something THAT slow. That's even slower than my current slow, junk DD. Just not acceptable. Was the Cooper S you drove modified? The only one I've ever driven was stock and didn't seem loud/rough.

Mid to low 30s on the hwy, would still be much better than 24mpg my Z34 gets.

If they didn't get such terrible gas mileage I'd put an RX-8 on the list after going for a drive in my manager's yesterday, but I'm not dealing with 20mpg.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

an S197 would be a pretty sweet DD, or a C5 Vette. ;)
                  '89 325i track sloot
                  '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

I don't think I could handle something THAT slow. That's even slower than my current slow, junk DD. Just not acceptable. Was the Cooper S you drove modified? The only one I've ever driven was stock and didn't seem loud/rough.

Mid to low 30s on the hwy, would still be much better than 24mpg my Z34 gets.

If they didn't get such terrible gas mileage I'd put an RX-8 on the list after going for a drive in my manager's yesterday, but I'm not dealing with 20mpg.
                    they might not accelerate quickly, but they definitely handle better than a monte carlo. like i was saying, you already have a fast car - you don't need a second one in my opinion. i'd rather use the money saved by not buying an S on something else.

i am pretty sure the one i drove was stock, and it was surprisingly "hardcore". i remember being really surprised at how it rode. for you though it might be like driving a boat considering the spring rates you chose for your e30 :razz:
                    http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Even though I'll have one quick car, I don't want to drive something boring/slow as my DD though! It will be interesting to see what the car feels like on 550/750. Since I've removed the power steering and I'm going to pull the AC stuff, that should just about get most of the weight out from the heavier engine, so I may be able to back down the front spring rates depending on how it handles.

The thought of a 330 coupe is nice, but I haven't checked prices/reliability on them.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Even though I'll have one quick car, I don't want to drive something boring/slow as my DD though! It will be interesting to see what the car feels like on 550/750. Since I've removed the power steering and I'm going to pull the AC stuff, that should just about get most of the weight out from the heavier engine, so I may be able to back down the front spring rates depending on how it handles.

The thought of a 330 coupe is nice, but I haven't checked prices/reliability on them.
                        I have a R56 non-S and it's quite enjoyable. It's a modern day ETA to be honest. I too was deciding between the S and Non-S;I totally agree with Daniel. It's really not that slow...

Or just get a motorcycle and enjoy 40+ MPG.

Comment

Nearly 10sec 0-60 isn't considered slow?

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

I personally own a cooper s, bought it in may.
                            only problem I have had so far is a wheelspeed sensor, the left front ones seem to get shaken loose fairly often.

the 03-04 model years had the 6spd getrag, some people have problems with them but mine has 51000 miles and its perfect.
                            05-06 have a viscuous engine mount which seems to just explode and leak shit all over the engine bay, but they have a closer ratio transmission and redesigned supercharger, yielding a couple more horses.

some people have reported supercharger problems, but they seem to be pretty rare in general. i have met with many owners that have had no problems with their s/c.
                            the john cooper works chargers have teflon coating on the blade, which has been known to flake off after 100k miles.

go to northamericanmotoring.com
                            its a good community and you can learn alot, go into the 1st gen stock problems/issues forum and you can learn alot

hope this helped

Comment

Nearly 10sec 0-60 isn't considered slow?
                              Are you racing from red light to red light?

I thought the only number you cared about was MPG?

Comment

its not a straight line car.... but boost makes it more fun

Comment

Working...
                                X