Carbon Fiber Hoods...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Fiber Hoods...

ok guys, im thinkin of gettin a carbon fiber hood sometime in the near future. im thinkin maybe about june. i was wondering how many other ppl would be interested in one of these hoods from VIS, which they claim are AA quality. i have seen them on ebay for $460, but the guy wants $150 shipping, thats $610 total!!! so i want to try and buy say 5 or 10 at once from VIS and see if i cant get them for $400. i havent gotten any details yet, im just seeing how many people would be interested before i even put in the effort of researching this.
    you can see the auction here on ebay : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6755
    the picture in the auction is obviously not for our car. so please dont point that out. the seller uses the same picture for all his CF hood auctions.

so if you are interested, then post up here, and if it looks like there mite be enough ppl, then i will start making phone calls and what not. thanks
    -cary
    IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Cale's VIS hood from ebay fits like crap in my opinion, because they didnt take into account the fact that CF shrinks when the hardener sets. That said, you can see the rain gutters on the fenders when the hood is centered. Some EVO-3 hood seals would fix this, but on a non-black car where it looks pimp as shit i think ghetto.

(cept i dig mike and shahe's setups too. word up to my brothas)
    My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

Isnt VIS where they got thiers from back in the day? I missed on that GB because it was right before my wreck.

I would like a hood but it would have to be near perfect and pass for factory as I would most definately paint it. How do the edges look? I know a lot of guys who have them and the edges look like they were cut with a sawzall.
      Im now E30less.
      sigpic

Comment

edges are very smooth, but like I said, it looks like crap (to me) because there's an extra 1/2" of space on each side.

Comment

I've only seen Mike's (EvoIIIm3) in person, it looked good enough to me.. the edges were fine and the contours looked right.

I'd love a CF hood to lighten the front of my car, and I could easily buy one but I have long term goals to meet first..
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I might be in, and Kris says the hood fits well and looks much better on black cars, and the fact that my hood at the moment is totally bent up and its more cost effective to buy a CF hood instead of repairing and painting the one I have at the moment...

So yea I might be in depending on total price. Although suspension might get in the way. Keep us updated.

And what exactly to EVO III hood seals do again :?:
            Reminiscing...

Comment

Originally posted by M42Tecknik
              I might be in, and Kris says the hood fits well and looks much better on black cars, and the fact that my hood at the moment is totally bent up and its more cost effective to buy a CF hood instead of repairing and painting the one I have at the moment...

So yea I might be in depending on total price. Although suspension might get in the way. Keep us updated.

And what exactly to EVO III hood seals do again :?:
              fill that gap I was bitching about :)

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerphile
                Yea I thought it gave you downforce and pure driving excitement from some rubber seal like whoa. :roll:
                Reminiscing...

Comment

Originally posted by M42Tecknik
                  Originally posted by bimmerphile
                  Yea I thought it gave you downforce and pure driving excitement from some rubber seal like whoa. :roll:

like whoa man.

Comment

seriously .5"? If so then my OCD couldnt handle it.
                    Im now E30less.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart
                      seriously .5"? If so then my OCD couldnt handle it.
                      ok maybe more like 1cm extra

Comment

the other issue with VIS hoods is the passenger side of the hood where it meets the corner of the fender and cowl dips down. Otherwise, the hood is quite nice. Once they fix that problem with the mold, I'm in for a hood.
                        Chris
                        90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

any pictures of the hood installed on an E30?
                          '86 325

Comment

I would probably be in, provided they looked good and fit well. If the fitment is like what I've read so far, I don't think I want one though. I'd need to see some pics.

Comment

if they fixed the fit ment and I'd most likely be in for one...
                              Originally posted by Matt-B
                              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                              X