Turbo M20, M30 or M60?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    We have done several items for the OP over the years. In fact his Z3M was one of the first jobs we did at the new location - the rear subframe was hanging half way out of the car o.0. Hard to believe it's already been 6yr here, we were at a smaller location a few buildings over prior...

Shop looks so different/full now, and I actually wear uniforms haha!

It just makes life easier when you can do some of your own wrenching when cost are an issue. The only "issue" i see from OP point of view and really all the other people that do the same. Is how do you have a "track car" but not do any wrenching your self. Part of owning a track/race car is being able to fix shit on the fly to keep you on the track and not wasting your time/money and effort. If something breaks in first 10 min of an event and you cant fix it cause you don't know how. What do you do? Call it a day and have a tow truck come get you and then that 100+ dollars you spent on your event is essentially wasted. Im not trying to bash or be a dick just have always wondered how people plan to do that when they don't have a pit crew that can do it all for you while you chill in the car.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
      It just makes life easier when you can do some of your own wrenching when cost are an issue. The only "issue" i see from OP point of view and really all the other people that do the same. Is how do you have a "track car" but not do any wrenching your self. Part of owning a track/race car is being able to fix shit on the fly to keep you on the track and not wasting your time/money and effort. If something breaks in first 10 min of an event and you cant fix it cause you don't know how. What do you do? Call it a day and have a tow truck come get you and then that 100+ dollars you spent on your event is essentially wasted. Im not trying to bash or be a dick just have always wondered how people plan to do that when they don't have a pit crew that can do it all for you while you chill in the car.
      I was juts hired last weekend to support a race team at Daytona. Not everyone has a garage/tools/knowledge to work on things themselves, others take the time and learn and/or build a tool collection.

Simple example:

My neighbor had the camshaft in his truck wipe a lobe, and he put it in an awesome way. He said, "why would I spend a whole weekend fixing my truck, when I can pay you to do it in a few hours, while I work over here in my shop, make just as much money as it's going to cost for you to fix it, then I can actually drive my truck this weekend."

Think about it. Does everyone fix their own toilet, or go rent a snake when the plumbing backs up? Does everyone go and purchase gauges when their home A/C unit runs low on freon? Not everyone enjoys busting knuckles and getting greasy if they can afford to pay someone to do it - or if they can make more money than the build/repair will cost.

You would be surprised how many drivers/owners DO hire a crew or pay a professional track-side service to work on their cars - even in Spec e30....

EDIT: To add, many racers have a shop do the work, bring their car to the track, and when something breaks, all the rest of thier race class will chip in and help!
      Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 04-07-2017, 03:14 PM.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I was juts hired last weekend to support a race team at Daytona. Not everyone has a garage/tools/knowledge to work on things themselves, others take the time and learn and/or build a tool collection.

Simple example:

My neighbor had the camshaft in his truck wipe a lobe, and he put it in an awesome way. He said, "why would I spend a whole weekend fixing my truck, when I can pay you to do it in a few hours, while I work over here in my shop, make just as much money as it's going to cost for you to fix it, then I can actually drive my truck this weekend."

Think about it. Does everyone fix their own toilet, or go rent a snake when the plumbing backs up? Does everyone go and purchase gauges when their home A/C unit runs low on freon? Not everyone enjoys busting knuckles and getting greasy if they can afford to pay someone to do it - or if they can make more money than the build/repair will cost.

You would be surprised how many drivers/owners DO hire a crew or pay a professional track-side service to work on their cars - even in Spec e30....

EDIT: To add, many racers have a shop do the work, bring their car to the track, and when something breaks, all the rest of thier race class will chip in and help!

If you got the pockets by all means. It just keeps guys like me and you employed. But if money is an object and budgets are in place. I don't really get it. Id rather just buy an e46m3 with some coils and sticky tires and just get the preventative work done.

For you last point. Help at the track is a two way street. If you got a set time before you gotta get back on the track why would you fix someone else's car rather then your own especially when you know you'd get little to no help from them if you actually needed it. Maybe i'm just not as nice as you idk

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
          For you last point. Help at the track is a two way street. If you got a set time before you gotta get back on the track why would you fix someone else's car rather then your own especially when you know you'd get little to no help from them if you actually needed it. Maybe i'm just not as nice as you idk
          Have you ever been to a club or Spec race? Everyone helps out each other. Not ALL the cars are going to break at once. You will see a group of Spec e30's helping the car with an hood open, a group of Spec Miata's helping the Miatas, Spec Iron, American Iron etc. Heck, even in NASCAR, IMSA, etc you will see teams helping each other - it's part of good sportsmanship. Sure, the one with a broken car isn't going to leave his car to help someone else, but again, the whole class isn't going to be broke down at once. And it's not just me, everyone out there does it.
          Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 04-07-2017, 04:00 PM.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

Does everyone go and purchase gauges when their home A/C unit runs low on freon?
            Some of us would if we could buy R22 without a certification ;)

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 1-26

Comment

I have a lot of cars and I am a member of many forums. This one is the most vocal about that you MUST work on your own car or our not a "real" car guy crap.

I am busy with my company, my kids, my aging parents, My house, etc. Like I said I don't have the time or the space to do this if somebody doesn't like it tough crap
              I'm not a real car guy :(

Comment

Originally posted by infanterene View Post
                I have a lot of cars and I am a member of many forums. This one is the most vocal about that you MUST work on your own car or our not a "real" car guy crap.
                I would consider you less of a "car guy" than a person who turns his own wrench on a pos civic on the side of a house. Having lots of cars and being a part of many forums doesn't make you more of a car guy than someone who's restoring or building a car themself, especially when you don't know how to turn a wrench.

It's not that we don't like "that," I'd just rather have a conversation about cars with someone who knows a thing or two about something besides the color and what size engine it has.
                Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                Q
                :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Have you ever been to a club or Spec race? Everyone helps out each other. Not ALL the cars are going to break at once. You will see a group of Spec e30's helping the car with an hood open, a group of Spec Miata's helping the Miatas, Spec Iron, American Iron etc. Heck, even in NASCAR, IMSA, etc you will see teams helping each other - it's part of good sportsmanship. Sure, the one with a broken car isn't going to leave his car to help someone else, but again, the whole class isn't going to be broke down at once. And it's not just me, everyone out there does it.

Your absolutely supposed to help your fellow racers. thats good sportsman ship. But what i meant and did a shitty of explaining was. You shouldn't have a car built for you And when it comes time to race just show up at the track with the car and your helmet expecting everyone else to take care of you when something happens. As far as another guys car breaks and he's over there working on it and you got nothing to do or just nothing as important then yes you absolutely should go lend a hand.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                    I would consider you less of a "car guy" than a person who turns his own wrench on a pos civic on the side of a house. Having lots of cars and being a part of many forums doesn't make you more of a car guy than someone who's restoring or building a car themself, especially when you don't know how to turn a wrench.

It's not that we don't like "that," I'd just rather have a conversation about cars with someone who knows a thing or two about something besides the color and what size engine it has.
                    I get what you're saying especially in this part of the form. But remember this forum also has a section for body and paint, electronics, interior, a lot of other things that have nothing to do with turning wrenches but have everything to do with loving cars.

Comment

And for the record six months ago I changed the intake gaskets spark plugs hoses all the belts oil water pump and valve cover gasket's and swapped carburetors on my 63 corvette. That took me a week working a few hours every night. I'm sorry if I didn't enjoy it, I did it because I couldn't afford to pay someone at the time.
                      Last edited by infanterene; 04-08-2017, 04:53 PM.

Comment

We have done several items for the OP over the years. In fact his Z3M was one of the first jobs we did at the new location - the rear subframe was hanging half way out of the car o.0. Hard to believe it's already been 6yr here, we were at a smaller location a few buildings over prior...

Shop looks so different/full now, and I actually wear uniforms haha!
                        You did a great job, you always do

Comment

I would consider Jay Leno a car guy, Richard Rawlings, Paul Walker.

Then you have professional drivers that don't get dirty, Force family, Hamilton, heck what about our BMW driver Clay? There are two side of every spectrum, AND colors in between. Many of our clients do ZERO wrenching besides maybe helping the mechanic at the track as a "gopher" getting tools/equip etc - some clients only purchase parts/engines tc - clients that install things wrong and we fix them. How about the members/builds here that hire professionals to do stuff? Build looked up to that are done in shops?

Thank Rene, you have owned some really cool cars since I have known ya, and always enjoyed working on them. ...and LOL at the new signature!!! HAHA!
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

Cam depends on compression ratio and desired RPM range. A 288 is going to make more power up high, but it is bit large for a stock compression 2.5 (making the power curve even higher). If you plan on building a stroker and bumping compression, I would suggest over-camming it. The car in the video used a 272, but the client originally intended to stay with a stock bottom end - had I known he was going to turn around and ask for a bottom end build, a 288 would have been better suited.

This is why I suggested this to the OP given his budget range. Labor to swap the cam, install the ITB's and dyno tune would be $5k-ish, a little over more likely, but HP costs $$ lol
                            If you were going to be in there for the can would it make sense to stroke it and bore it out to a 2.9? Although that would probably be another 2500 in parts plus machining.

Comment

M30. Ftw. Very underrated engine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                              = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

Out of the given options I'd have to say M30, but if it was my car I'd put a built M20 in there.
                                My Garage
                                2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                                1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                                1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                                Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Working...
                                X