ix weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ix weight

anyone have an idea why they list the 89 2 door ix as 3010 lbs and the 91 at 2955 lbs curb weight?

the earlier cars had trunk tar, the '91 does not, probably some other differences as well. But that alone is a good chunk of weight. I think my '88 also had that big slab under the spare tire, and the spare was a steel wheel (heavy as a 100lb sack of shit).
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

my 12/88 has no trunk tar, i didnt think any of the ix's had trunk tar, as for the spare, i have no fucking clue lol, my spare is bent on the hub so it wobbles, i have another i just havent decided to swap the tire onto it yet. although its kinda mute point with the lukebox and amps in my trunk

Comment

my '88 had the trunk tar for sure, it was like 1" thick lol.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I can confirm my 88 has trunk tar
          My Garage
          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

10/87, double layer of trunk tar. 1990 (forgot actual build month) only came with a felt like liner.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

i have weighed my stock car its 2957 and its a 88

Comment

You removed the AC?
                AWD > RWD

Comment

well my lukebox fit and no signs that there was ever trunk tar in it

Comment

you don't have an '88, I've never actually looked in the trunk of an '89 though - maybe only the '88 has it.

There's still likely other differences you can't see.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

My premodel (1987) 2door ix was 1350kg when it was measured it had some body kit etc, then stock facelift 4door automatic ix (1989) was 1450kg and current stock premodel 2door(1986) is 1280kg. Not sure was those scales how accurate, also these are eu model
                      Last edited by litu; 05-14-2017, 01:04 PM.
                      https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
                      https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

the early models are probably lighter, especially compared to US models - no door bars, much less sound insulation, I think less undercoating too? and I really doubt BMW put 100lbs of tar in the trunk. :p

Those early chrome bumpers are also pretty light (and much less ugly than diving boards).
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

What do you mean door bars? Late model cars have bars in the door for side impact?
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

only in the US, and yes (I think US early models do too).
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'm sure that most if not all us market e30s got door bars, my boss used to work at a high end importing shop and they were welding door bars in older cars

Comment

Working...
                              X