• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, but not cheap.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

As long as one can make one's own button, a Tilton is actually cheaper than an aluminum flywheel & performance clutch combo typically sold for BMW's, especially V8's and/or the S62.
      The Tilton pressure plate is about $500 and the disks are about $200.
      UUC's clutch & flywheel combos for the E39 M5 *START* at $1800, but that company isn't exactly known for bargain prices.

Comment

That has to be an error on realoem. Just check the ratios :)
        E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
        E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
          That has to be an error on realoem. Just check the ratios :)
          ;) That must be it.

I think the tag will be sufficient for determining which configuration it is.
          I'll have one of each... I'll be getting tooth counts all over the place.

OBTW, here are the configuration identifiers:

GS6-53BZ-THGZ 02/2002 - 07/2010
          E60 LCI through 12/2009

GS6-53BZ-THA9 01/2009 - 06/2013
          F10 through 06/2013

GS6-53DZ-THGX 03/2006 - 09/2008
          E93 LCI through 10/2013
          E60 LCI through 12/2009

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
            ;) That must be it.

I think the tag will be sufficient for determining which configuration it is.
            I'll have one of each... I'll be getting tooth counts all over the place.

OBTW, here are the configuration identifiers:

GS6-53BZ-THGZ 02/2002 - 07/2010
            E60 LCI through 12/2009

GS6-53BZ-THA9 01/2009 - 06/2013
            F10 through 06/2013

GS6-53DZ-THGX 03/2006 - 09/2008
            E93 LCI through 10/2013
            E60 LCI through 12/2009
            It has to be, really :) All DZ gearboxes i have checked has got the 20 degree angle and diesel ratios, the E46/E39 x30d GS6-53DZ/GS5-39DZ and E9x 320d-330d GS6-37DZ/53DZ gearboxes for example is commonly used on turbo builds over here.
            The E9x 335i GS6-53BZ is getting more common because of 30 degree angle and better gearing ratios.
            E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

It has to be, really :)
              We'll see when I grab one and crack it open ;D

All DZ gearboxes i have checked has got the 20 degree angle and diesel ratios, the E46/E39 x30d GS6-53DZ/GS5-39DZ and E9x 320d-330d GS6-37DZ/53DZ gearboxes for example is commonly used on turbo builds over here.
              That is exactly what I'd expect to see based on the RealOEM info.

The E9x 335i GS6-53BZ is getting more common because of 30 degree angle and better gearing ratios.
              Do the tags actually say BZ? Is there an English thread anywhere in which someone grabs a 335i box and counts input/output turns to estimate ratios?

Comment

Yes it does, heres from a 135i for example :)
                Störst på bildelar, reservdelar och tillbehör - nytt, begagnat och renoverat. Sök begagnade bildelar hos Sveriges bildemonteringar / bilskrotar och verkstäder.

Hmm i dont think ive read about it in english forums, but in swedish :) People normally use DZ versions in M20 configs here because it fits the engine angle. Pretty common that they use DZ on M50s too though, mostly because of better price and theres is more of them. But BZ version is getting more used because of the better gearing as i mentioned and that the angle is like the M50 etc.
                Specially the first gear is short on the DZ and most people here doesnt really like that :P

Oh and there are more than one bellhousing at least on the GS6-53DZ, some are too big and doesnt fit M20/M50 etc. It has to do with the codes after the gearbox model, like HGA, THGZ etc.
                E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Heres a 325D
                  Störst på bildelar, reservdelar och tillbehör - nytt, begagnat och renoverat. Sök begagnade bildelar hos Sveriges bildemonteringar / bilskrotar och verkstäder.
                  E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

A5S 300J (old designation)
                    A Transmission type. S = Manual transmission. A = Automatic transmission
                    5 Number of forward gears
                    S Type of top gear. D = Direct gear. S = Overdrive gear
                    300 Max. input torque (Nm)
                    J Code letter of transmission manufacturer. G = Getrag. J = Jatco. R = GMPT (General Motors Powertrain). Z = ZF (Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen)
                    SMG SMG = Sequential M gearbox/transmission

GS6-37BZ (new designation according to BMW Group Standard GS 90007)
                    G drive
                    S Transmission type. S = Manual transmission. A = Automatic transmission
                    6 Number of forward gears
                    - = Standard with manual gearshift. HP = Hydraulic planetary gear
                    37 Transmission type. 26 = D-transmission. 31 = C-transmission. 39 = F-transmission. 37 = H-transmission. 53 = G-transmission
                    B Gear set. B = Petrol/gasoline gear ratio. D = Diesel gear ratio
                    Z Code letter of transmission manufacturer. G = Getrag. Z = ZF (Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen)

BMW designation.---- Manufacturer-----Manufacturer designation-------Remark
                    ----S5D 200G-------------Getrag------------B transmission (220/5)
                    ----S5D 200G-------------Getrag------------B transmission (221/5)-------for M41 engine only
                    ----S5D 250G-------------Getrag------------B transmission (220/5)-------Reinforced design
                    ----S5D 260Z-------------ZF-----------------C-transmission (S5-31 D)----for M51 engine only
                    ----S5D 280Z-------------ZF-----------------C-transmission (S5-31)
                    ----S5D 310Z-------------ZF-----------------C-transmission (S5-31)-------up to 9.95
                    ----S5D 320Z-------------ZF-----------------C-transmission (S5-31)-------from 9.95 (reinforced design)
                    ----GS5S31BZ(SMG)-----ZF-----------------C transmission SMG
                    ----GS5-39DZ-------------ZF-----------------F transmission
                    ----S6S 420G-------------Getrag------------D-transmission (226/6)
                    ----S6S 420G(SMG)------Getrag------------D transmission SMG
                    ----S6S 560G-------------Getrag------------E-transmission (286/6)
                    ----GS6-37BZ-------------ZF-----------------H-transmission
                    ----GS6S37BZ(SMG)-----ZF-----------------H-transmission
                    ----GS6-37DZ-------------ZF-----------------H-transmission
                    ----GS6-37BG-------------Getrag------------H-transmission
                    ----GS6-53BZ-------------ZF-----------------G-transmission
                    ----GS6-53DZ-------------ZF-----------------G-transmission
                    ----GS6-17BG-------------Getrag------------I-transmission

Automatic transmission:
                    BMW designation.----Manufacturer----Manufacturer designation-------------Remark
                    ----A4S 200R-------------GMPT-------------------GM4
                    ----A4S 270R-------------GMPT-------------------THM-R1w-------------Transmission wide-stepped
                    ----A4S 310R-------------GMPT-------------------THM-R1
                    ----A5S 300J--------------Jatco-------------------Jatco
                    ----A5S 310Z--------------ZF----------------------5HP-18
                    ----A5S 325Z--------------ZF----------------------5HP-19
                    ----A5S 440Z--------------ZF----------------------5HP-24
                    ----A5S 560Z--------------ZF----------------------5HP-30
                    ----A5S 360R/390R-------GM---------------------GM5
                    ----GA6HP19Z-------------ZF----------------------6HP19
                    ----GA6HP26Z-------------ZF----------------------6HP26
                    ----GA6HP32Z-------------ZF----------------------6HP32
                    ----GS7S47BG-------------Getrag-----------------SMG-------------------Motorsport M5

E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

I'll just have to count teeth when I get both.

I would like to put the DZ sixth into a BZ box, if you know anyone who has some gears hanging around.

Comment

This looks cool:

Looks like an option for square wheel/tire fitment on an iX with max effort rear wheels/tires.
                        Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 03-27-2017, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Thought i would share this:

X-drive controller:
                          Controller to engage and disengage 4wd for aftermarket ecu. Seems to work great. I can also adjust how much xdrive clutch should engage

Its a Swedish guy, so if you have any questions i can ask.
                          E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Sweeeet! Thanks!

Comment

Thought i would share this:

X-drive controller:
                              Controller to engage and disengage 4wd for aftermarket ecu. Seems to work great. I can also adjust how much xdrive clutch should engage

Its a Swedish guy, so if you have any questions i can ask.
                              Does it do anything but fully open and fully locked?
                              I want mine to be automatic based on differential driveshaft speed, and maybe lateral/longitudinal g's with a "launch" button that gives 100% lock until the vehicle exceeds whatever speed threshold I set.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                                Does it do anything but fully open and fully locked?
                                I want mine to be automatic based on differential driveshaft speed, and maybe lateral/longitudinal g's with a "launch" button that gives 100% lock until the vehicle exceeds whatever speed threshold I set.
                                No it doesn't, so you got to have a after market ECU or something too.
                                E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Working...
                                X