No announcement yet.

E30 S62 Vert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it were 1"... maybe, depending on which plane the smallest clearance is in.

It really looks like about the width of the bolt head, which I would not be comfortable with... but the perspective may distort that, which is why I asked.

He did a grea job with the pedal box, though; it looks very neat.

Comment

there is info here:

here are a couple things off the top of my head: i don't know if it would clear the strut tower on the left side, but perhaps the e23 booster might be a better choice because about 2" are inset into the firewall and the entire setup is in turn 2" shorter.

also, since its hydraulic, and there is no gravity feed, i think that the master cylinder could be rotated 90 or 180(or 270) degrees on the mount if that might place the orifices in a more strategic position.
      Last edited by flyboyx; 12-24-2012, 02:41 PM.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by bongo78 View Post
        Only a couple points to address in regards to the car:
        1. My steering was locking badly on right turns, need to replace.
        Originally posted by Jonsku View Post
        1) Too little clearance between steering shaft and exhaust manifolds.
        Careful... Dynamic clearance needs to be greater than static clearance to allow for engine motion...

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
        How much clearance actually is there between the booster and the cylinder head or coil cover? Looks like less than 1" (25mm)...
        Originally posted by Jonsku View Post
        .. which is already enough :)

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
          Careful... Dynamic clearance needs to be greater than static clearance to allow for engine motion...
          Yes, and thus the critical parts (e.g. steering shaft which actually needs to rotate) must have sufficient space. On the other hand, it's not the end of the world if valve cover slightly touches e.g. brake booster or other "static parts" on the most extreme turns..
          - E34 M5 (x 2) -
          - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
          - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
          - E46 318i Touring -
          - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Still not good...

But the OP never replied with how much clearance there actually is, so we're both speculating rampantly.

Comment

I would say brakes are pretty damn critical just like steering :) Looks likea good job, maybe one would want to stick with STIFF/SOLID mounts to be safe :)
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

So, that's with an e32 booster?

Funny how I never saw this. E32 735 and E28 booster is the same PN.
                750iL is different, but same as 850s, and looks shorter, maybe, but you know how drawings on realOEM are....
                740iLs have a standard vacuum booster.

E28 booster you end up with this:

Then, to bolt up the master you've got to clearance the strut tower. I'm thinking of mounting the booster at an angle and running a 2002 master cylinder reservoir. I don't want to fuck with the strut tower.

Or, I'm thinking of running it remote, with a rod that goes from the firewall to the bracket I'll install in front of the strut tower. More room up there for everything and no running PS/booster lines by the exhaust.

It's all in my thread anyways, so I won't repost pics.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...5&postcount=86
                Last edited by slammin.e28; 02-01-2013, 10:35 AM.
                1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post

750iL is different, but same as 850s, and looks shorter, maybe, but you know how drawings on realOEM are....

Then, to bolt up the master you've got to clearance the strut tower. I'm thinking of mounting the booster at an angle and running a 2002 master cylinder reservoir. I don't want to fuck with the strut tower.
                  Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                  i don't know if it would clear the strut tower on the left side, but perhaps the e23 booster might be a better choice because about 2" are inset into the firewall and the entire setup is in turn 2" shorter.

I'm thinking that with the right combo of MC and booster, trimming of the strut tower gusset could be kept to a minimum.

Also, when trimming the gusset, a bracket could be welded up to sandwhich a piece of 16 ga or so sheet metal between the booster and MC. That piece would be part of a reinforcement that would compensate for the cutout from the gusset.

It might also be workable to put a spacer between the booster and MC entirely to avoid trimming the gusset.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                    i don't know if it would clear the strut tower on the left side, but perhaps the e23 booster might be a better choice because about 2" are inset into the firewall and the entire setup is in turn 2" shorter.
                    Now that I think about it more...

For my swap (or any AWD swap), the strut tower will be 3-4 inches further forward than in a RWD swap.

So with the shorter E23 booster moving the MC to the rear, the MC connections might entirely avoid interference with the AWD strut tower.

I guess I'll have to put one together to see.

Comment

Small break...Back in the game 😅😅
                      sigpicJesper K

E39 TOURING TDS
                      E30 325i VAN
                      E30 350i VERT

Comment

Ok I've waiting 5 years what the hell
                        sub'd
                        I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                        TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                        e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

the pictures are back up now in the link above thanks to an awesome member from finland.

i have actually moved on from the bmw parts and i am no longer using this system. i got the idea of using a gm self contained hydroboost unit from looking at sikky's web site.

the problem is that with a dohc engine, there isn't space. check this out:

instead of the chevy truck master cylinder in the pic, i am using a 750i mc and the remote reservoir from an e34 v8. it really is a much better solution. less space, less complicated, you can put it anywhere. you only need 2 hoses and a return instead of about 7.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by flyboyx; 05-15-2017, 06:51 AM.
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                          X