Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Hose - tank to filler hose - 14mmx20mm - what PSI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Hose - tank to filler hose - 14mmx20mm - what PSI?

Looking to replace the long braided hose that travels from the tank through the body and into the rear wheel well. Genuine bmw Is not an option as it's priced crazy high (multiple hundred).

Found a braided hose that is the exact dimensions (14x20) and rated at a working pressure of 101psi/7bar and a bursting pressure of 435psi/30bar. is that good enough for our fuel pressure or is that too low?

I'm seeing mixed reports online over at bimmerfest. Some people are saying it idles at 3bar.... but then others say if you have anything less than 50bar it's no good. Are they possibly mixing up their units? Isn't 50 bar crazy high pressure?

Edit: for clarity, I am discussing part number 5 on the following diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=16_0108
    Last edited by BaltimoreBimmer; 05-15-2017, 06:32 AM.

I did mine last year on the IX. I got the proper braided hose form the dealer for $28.

Perhaps your dealer is pricing a full roll of 100 meters vs. the required quantity (around 1.4 meters)?

This particular hose is not under high pressure like the fuel feed line, so if the working pressure of your alternate hose you're looking at is 101 psi, that's more than fine.

The E30 collection:
    1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
    1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
    1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
    1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
    1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
    1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
    1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
    2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
    2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Ok I guess I'm taking crazy pills. Just rechecked and this hose is available and not super expensive lol. Wth. $36 bucks on ecstuning.....how did I miss that.

Comment

That is just a vent line. No pressure, only fuel vapor, is in that line. Regular fuel hose will work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
          That is just a vent line. No pressure, only fuel vapor, is in that line. Regular fuel hose will work just fine.
          I feel a bit silly, but is there a major difference between regular fuel hose and high pressure fuel line, in terms of getting hoses. On ecstuning I'm seeing two options for genuine bmw 8x13 hoses. One Is around 36/meter the other is almost 50/meter. But neither says they are high pressure/fuel injection rates or what not. Is it fine to go with rein fuel hoses? If not, I can stick to gen BMW just curious what you think.

Also, when looking at realoem near the fuel filter for example (I'm replumbimg all my fuel/evap lines) they list 8x13mm on just the return side of things. The feed side is "hose" and is a special part number but definitely is also 8x13mm (that's what I put there last time I did the Filter) is that because only one side is actually high pressure?

From what I have seen I was thinking of just buying 2 meters of high pressure 8x13 then that one length of 14mmx20mm this post is about, and then there also seems to be some 6mmx11mm as well as another thicker one that is the fuel filler vent hose connector.

Essentially, is it ludicrous to just buy all HP 8x13 just cuz I can? Am I wasting money or is not that big of a deal. I've heard people say 2 meters should get your car done in terms of 8x13. I've also heard
          People say you are asking for trouble if you don't use genuine bmw Fuel hose. Not sure what to think....

(I'm doing all of the hoses, even all the stuff above the tank and so forth. The charcoal canister, etc)

Edit: fuck it. I went to bmw and found the 14x20 hose for 39 dollars.very reasonable. Then got 2 meters of 8x13 and one meter of 6x11 because screw it. Perhaps I can use any extra on my E46.

Final bill for the tank hose and the 3 meters was $167 lol. Someone's gotta support bmw. Those rein 8x13 hoses at ~$10/meter are looking quite appealing, am I foolish?
          Last edited by BaltimoreBimmer; 05-16-2017, 02:07 PM.

Comment

"Fuel line" is low pressure and used for engines with a carburetor. They only run 10psi or so. High pressure fuel injection line is made for cars with fuel injection and can handle up to 100+ psi usually. E30's run around the 50 psi mark.

Hose is hose. BMW hose is no better than a comparable quality brand. It's not like BMW makes the hose anyway, some other company does and BMW sells it.

FWIW, I replaced all the hose in my E34 with 5/16" hose from the auto parts store and have had zero issues with it. 5/16" is .3125" where as 8mm is .315".

Comment

pressure aside, non FI rated hose is not ethanol resistant meaning it can break down from prolonged exposure to...gasoline. If you don't use any it's not a problem :)

Note...a 5M coil of 8x13 is not very expensive and is enough to do the engine supply/return lines for 2 cars. I'm partial to CRP hoses when i can get them since it's Conti Rubber Products. I figure if their tires and timing belts work, they should know how to make a hose :)
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Yeah after getting 2meters of 8x13
                I think it's not enough due to those long fuel feed/return in the engine bay

Comment

Working...
                X