M60 Power and Ground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60 Power and Ground?

Trying to start the m60 today but have some confusion on the power wiring to the engine.

The engine gets power in the e34 from the "power distribution box" in the upper passenger side of the engine bay, And presumably it does the same in the e30.

I have power wires coming from the passenger side of the engine bay from the e30, and I've got wires coming from the starter up to the upper passenger side, but how do they connect? The e34 side has a big power cable and two small wires (Square and Circle ends). Are the two small wires grounds or power also?

I can get picture of what I'm taking about if this doesn't make sense...

Thank you!!

do you have frank's swap guide? he does a great job of covering wiring.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I just went through this my self, there should be one ground that goes to the back passenger cylinder head, then one ground (actually many grounds all connected to one hog ring) that goes pretty much any chassis ground you want..

Then one solid red (harness power) that goes to the b+. The other two (one red and one black) are not connected anywhere. The black anytime it is connected to b+ engaged the starter so I just cut it and left it in my bay.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
      M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

I figured this out shortly after posting too..

I couldn't find mention in Frank's swap guide about getting power to the engine harness.

Power comes from the battery to the terminal in the battery tray in the engine bay. I used a battery terminal adapter to connect the m60 main power supply to the battery terminal. The two wires that are joined with the main power are unhooked on both ends in my case.

There are two wires close the firewall grommet that are grounds. I left them unplugged.
        There is also one red wire the comes from the ecu side of things that needs power in order for the engine to get fuel and spark. (Ask me how i know)

Comment

Working...
        X